sweat + bath + soap = ammonia smell ( This is weird!!!! )

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KCD, May 14, 2003.

1. KCD

KCD New Member

O.k. I know this sounds weird, but here it goes. When I take a bath, after using the soap, there is a strong smell of ammonia. I even had my husband to verify, so I would not sound crazy. I told my doc who had a blood ammonia test done and of course it came back normal! What is it about the combo of sweat and soap that cause the ammonia smell? I have not gone any further than the blood test. Should I do something more? Any suggestions?
  2. KCD

KCD New Member

3. KCD

KCD New Member

I thought I was the only one with this weird prob. I did the epsom salt bath and it was very refreshing. Thanks again. KCD
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Add three large bottles of Peroxide to the Epson Salts in that bath. Soak in it for twenty minutes.

It will help kill off the bacteria as it is coming out of the pores, and probably stop the odor.

We sure have some crazy symptoms, don't we???

Shalom, Shirl
  5. KCD

KCD New Member

I appreciate the advice. Thanks again, KCD
  6. Kenna

Kenna New Member

I find using Johnsons Baby Shampoo as my only SOAP for everything, body, hair, etc. The baby shampoo has changed alot of skin problems I had never had before the FM. I use very little hair conditioner on the ends of my hair. My doctor was the one to recomend it to me three years ago, and it is wonderful, and non toxic. Which is real important to us FM sufferers. I also use Tom's of Maine natural under arm deodorant-unscented. IT ALL HELPS!!!!

The less toxic products the better I feel!
  7. KCD

KCD New Member

I hadn't thought about the natural deordorant. Do you get it only at a health store? Why do you need to use baby shampoo, is regular shampoo that toxic?
  8. Kenna

Kenna New Member

I even use nonscented laundry detergent....I became over sensitive to everything once I got FM. I started to get as much of the toxic products, and things out of my life, and my house, and I have less major flares. Anything scented is OUT! I use rubber gloves to clean with, and will use a industrial mask to clean the bath tub. I do use kitchen cleanser on the tub, and the kitchen sink only. I never use bleach, too toxic. The more I "don't" use the better I feel.

Most health food stores will have Tom's of Maine "unsented" deoderant, and Toms toothpaste etc. ALL THIS SENTED STUFF I FEEL GIVES OFF TOO MUCH TOXIC FUMES IN AN ALREADY TOXIC WORLD.....that I feel helps to give me flare ups. It is just my opinion here.

I think MY body was trying to tell me something with the over sensitivity to all of OUR overly scented world (it is after all chemicals that give us scents in things we use.)

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 06/02/2003</i>]
  9. smyle4moi

smyle4moi New Member

i thought too that it was caused by chlorine in the city water...however we moved in nov. to a house that has well water....and still that same problem! i always thought it was just my weird oversensitive sniffer...i too find using baby bath to be helpful...i have sensitive skin and the baby bath is very gentle...and you smell good after...like a freshly bathed baby! mmmmmm....lol...baby lotion is also wonderful for the legs and arms after a bath...helps to keep night itching at bay...and for some reason hubby LOVES the smell of the baby lotion...cant resist me...lol..not sure if that is always good thing...LOL...it is nice to know that again it is not me being strange and others have similar issues...Lori
  10. KCD

KCD New Member

We are a bunch of weirdos!!!! At least there are a BUNCH of us! Thanks KCD
  11. lisamw13

lisamw13 New Member

i have exactly the same problem when i sweat it does not havce the amonia smell but as soon as i shower and put the soap on it smells very strong. i tried different soaps but it did not change so i did some research and found that when your body has an imbalance in proteins and carbs this can happen (so if you are on a low carb diet). If your exercising your body has to use the proteins for energy if there are not enough carbs which i guess causes the smell. why it doesnt happen until mixed with soap?? who knows&lt;BR&gt;