SWEATING question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by harmony21, Apr 2, 2009.

1. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

To all those with fm or chronic fatigue I know we have often discussed the problem of sweating of the head and neck but could we please just do a confirmation of whether you also experience this dreadful symptom please?
    I have been diagnosed with fm for 3 yhears now and most all the time have had problems with sweating and hot flashes, its getting so Iam wanting to wear summer clothing even during our winter (Australia)
    Any of you have the same problem? Although my oestregen is low and could also be the prob my sweating mainly occurs when Iam trying to be active any movement makes me a candidate of a heat episode
    I will be interested what you guys have to say
    Thank you in advance

angel hugs to all

2. lynncats

lynncats New Member

I am also going thru this, I'll get hot like flashes thru out the day, but more when I'm sleeping, wakes me continuosly (my head with be sopping wet). But then there are times when I'm freezing, and nobody else is. Been told how cold my hands are at times. Had a hysterectomy 2 years ago, but was only on hormone meds for 1 year, then decided to stop taking them. My heat/cold days started about 3-4 months ago, so not sure if it's because I stopped the meds., or if it is from my FM. I'm gonna talk to my rheumy at the end of this month about it. Take care!!
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

yes, it could be low estrogen -- if that is the only factor, then estrogen replacement would improve it within a week.

Have you had a full thyroid panel workup recently including free T3 level & thyroid antibodies? Hyperthyroid can cause excess sweating.

Adrenal & hypothalamic malfunction also make temp regulation hellish.

Best wishes.
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I used to have problems with heavy sweating before I was treated for Lyme and coinfections with hormones, heparin, Abx and antifungals. I think it's a sign of adrenal issues and/or bacterial infections. There is one bug that ticks transmit called Babesia. This bug causes HEAVY sweating to the point where your pillow can be soaked in the morning.

BTW, there is a buzz about the launch of the Lyme Disease Association of Austrailia.

5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have this prob too. No one can give me any answers. I suspect it is related to the pain meds I take. and I take them around the clock, and have a pain patch. It seemed to lessen a little when I lost 40 lbs.

my family freezes year round...in winter,my hubby is always closing the window above the bed ( i live in northern MN!!) and in the summer, the AC runs nonstop....

i have been tested for everything...i had a hysterectomy, too....i still have my ovaries...my hormones tested out normal...at least according the guidelines my doc is following...

i don't have anything to help you but I can tell you that on another FM website, i posted about this problem and had at least 80 women respond with the same problem! Hopefully, someone, someday soon will solve this problem for us!
  6. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

thanks all for the replies I do have low eostregen and went on synthetic hormone repleacement for a short while and it didnt make much of a difference and I was also neurotic bout the possibilty of breast cancer.

I seem to have the episodes mostly when Iam doing things or stressing. Iam going back on the natural menopause tabs and see what happens there.

I have had my thyroid tested and all was good OFCOURSE, dont you wish something WAS wrong and then we could work from some platform

hope all goes well with you all
    angel hugs

7. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

just wanted to let you know I also have this problem... every time I do anything I sweat like a pig.. it just drips... not fun.. even in the winter I run around in shorts. I freez my husband LOL poor guy ..

I do need to see my female doc and check everything .. this coudl add to it .. i swear Im mentapausal. to boot...
  8. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I also have the sweating problem. In the winter I have problems with this. My house is always cold. My animals run and get under covers and I am just fine. We will not even talk about how I cannot handle the heat in Texas summers.LOL Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Take care of yourself. Love, Faith
  9. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I also sweat just horribly. My face and neck will turn bright red and then the sweating hits. It seems worse after taking a shower for some reason.

I live in WI and have been wearing shorts all the time. the only time I feel good is when I'm outside and the temp is 30 degrees.

I will say my kitties love me though. I am their own electric blanket. I even have one cat that lies on top of me while I sleep. LOL.
  10. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

monica, me too...after every shower I take, i have to go right back to bed ....if i don't, i am drenched
  11. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Dr. Jacob Titelbaum (sp?) says it's due to an improperly working Hypotholamus glad. Hate it!
  12. loto

loto Member

I hate it so much!! It used to be I'd just get the night sweats, which are bad enough because I'd wake up sweating, but so cold!! I would be too tired to get up and change into dry clothes. But, now, I'm starting to get hot flashes at all different times of the day. It's so totally annoying. I used to be the cold one at work, always complaining about how cold the office was, now it get so warm in the afternoon I can't stand it! And it's still pretty cool here, Spring hasn't figured out how to get warm yet here in Southern Illinois. So, I DO have the sweats and hot flashes. BTW, I was diagnosed with FM almost a year ago, have acid reflux, am iron anemic, and now possible have Lyme. I'm waiting to see a different doc on that one.
    And, if you have any tips on how to get rid of these hot flashes, please let me know! Like, are there any herbal supplements or anything to take for them? I'm too young to be going through menopause, and don't know a thing about hot flashes. Just know that you are not alone in dealing with this!
  13. loto

loto Member

i'm waiting to see a different doc to get a 2nd opinion on my lyme test. it showed P66 is highly present, and my primary doc said everything was normal. but i have to wait a dang month till my appointment! there are just not enough specialized doctors in my immediate area. but i do get the stupid sweats and hot flashes. ESPECIALLY WHEN I DO DISHES!!! anyone else when they do dishes????
  14. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

I feel the same way that you do. i cant seem to do anything with out ending up looking like ive been swimming! It has caused me so much embarasseing moments. I fan myself when its freezing and people lok at me like I'm nuts. no, im just hot.I can use the fan in my room when its cold, just cant let it be directly on me, thats too painful, but i need it to be on , also my sliding glass door is ajar for air also,and my husband will wear sweats and a hoody and thermals because hes freezing!wow....thought there was something wrong with me only...this site makes me feel so much better! glad to have come across it.!!~~~~~~~~~~stay cool and comfortable~~~~miss pacotaco
  15. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Yes, I am one of the lucky people who have this sweating problem too. It drives my husband crazy because I am always changing the temp on the ac and heater.

I thought it was to do with my hormones but have been having second thoughts, as I have been taking estradiol for a while. Maybe I need to revisit my endocronologist.

Wonder if it could be due to a thryroid problem or if it is just one of the side effects of good old fm and chronic fatigue. There are so many side effects, I sometimes wonder if it's just playing havoc on our entire bodily functions. Luckily, I can say my sweating symptoms aren't always on a daily basis....thank God. Just wish I knew what caused it though. It can be really embarrassing when you do try and go somewhere and then all of a sudden you feel your body warming up and then you feel the sweat starting in your head and neck which really does wonders on a hairdo.....especially after you just took a bath and struggled to dry and fix your hair.

What I have started doing lately is trying to shower at night and doing my hair and then going straight to bed. If I need to go somewhere the next day I don't have to waste all the little energy that I do have on doing the shower and hair. Doing it that way I don't feel totally wiped out and can get around for an hour or two.
  16. jmq

jmq New Member

Mine were SOOO bad...had them every hour 24/7 and they lasted for about 5 mins...I had to wear a scarf or towel around my neck everywhere. It was a combo of menapause and the Cymbalta I was on. I am off the Cymbalta and now I am on a hormone replacement patch and within hours of putting it on, my hot flashes went away! I know it is not a safe long term solution but I could not function like I was. I tried many other herbal remedies before going on the HRT.

Now I am just normally hot. Like I have a broken thermastat. If I feel other peoples skin, it feels cold because my hands are so hot. I keep my family frozen and even then I am always using an ice pack to cool off. It also helps my pain instead of heat?! Recently, now my FEET are hot and burning all day, but worse at night. Put ice on them too!

I really should move from Florida to Alaska!