SWEET CHERRIES help with pain???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Has anyone heard this? I love them! YUMMO!

After I wrote this I found the following article.[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2008]
  2. If you’ve got arthritis, summer’s plump, fresh, delicious cherries may be especially good for you.

Researchers from Michigan State University found anthocyanins, the same chemicals that give tart cherries their color, may have more powerful anti-inflammatory effects than aspirin. It's still unknown whether this might translate into pain relief for arthritis patients in the real world.

Dr. Muralee Nair, associate professor with the Bioactive Natural Products Laboratory in the Department of Horticulture and National Food Safety and Toxicology Center at MSU, isolated various components of tart cherries. He was aided in this research by Dr. Gale Strasburg, MSU associate professor of Food Science and Human Nutrition. Dr. Strasburg developed a technique to rapidly assess the antioxidant activity of the purified components. Other techniques to detect antioxidant activity are time consuming. Dr. Strasburg's technique condenses the process to a few minutes. Dr. Nair used frozen tart cherries blended with water to isolate the compounds. Then Dr. Strasburg tested the compounds to find out whether they showed promising antioxidant activity.

They discovered that a number of the tart cherry compounds analyzed by Dr. Strasburg's method had excellent antioxidant properties. "This was the first time that we knew these compounds had antioxidant properties," says Dr. Nair. "The antioxidant activity of the tart cherry compounds, under our evaluation systems, is superior when compared to vitamin E, vitamin C and some synthetic antioxidants." In particular, there are three anthocyanins associated with the bright red color of tart cherries that are excellent antioxidants. However, as many as 14 other compounds in tart cherries also have antioxidant activity. During the next year, the MSU researchers plan to investigate what levels of tart cherry consumption are needed to obtain beneficial antioxidant effects.

Antioxidants are believed to inhibit the cycling of highly reactive compounds, called free radicals, which occur in normal human metabolism. However, in certain circumstances, these compounds may be factors in diseases, especially cancer. Consumer concerns about synthetic food additives have fueled interest in the identification and use of naturally occurring antioxidants to replace the synthetic ones. "Based on the combined research at MSU, we hypothesize that tart cherries are a rich source of naturally occurring antioxidants, which could be effective replacements for synthetic antioxidants in foods," says Dr. Strasburg.

"Twenty cherries provide 25 milligrams of anthocyanins, which help to shut down the enzymes that cause tissue inflammation in the first place, so cherries can prevent and treat many kinds of pain," says Muraleedharan Nair, the lead researcher on the cherry project at Michigan State University. The anthocyanins also may protect artery walls from the damage that leads to plaque build up and heart disease. In fact, the latest research shows that anthocyanins do a better job of protecting arteries than vitamins C and E.

The current research on the health benefits of cherries began with a study conducted by Dr. Alden Booren, professor of Food Science and Human Nutrition at MSU, in 1994. He investigated the use of cherries in very lean ground beef. "Our trained taste testers found the cherry-beef mixtures to be very desirable and had equal to or better flavor than those from lean ground beef," says Dr. Booren. "We also found that reheated ground beef with cherries was essentially devoid of oxidized or rancid flavors." Dr. Booren and other researchers suspected that it was the antioxidant properties of tart cherries that were responsible for these effects, which lead to the current research projects.

Dr. Won Song, a professor in the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at MSU and a registered dietitian, reviewed all of the previously published literature on the health benefits of cherries. She was amazed at the number of references in consumer publications. "There is even anecdotal information on the Internet," says Dr. Song. "While I found no scientific research to support the anecdotal information in these publications, we have learned enough that I believe there is a potential scientific connection that can be tested and proven." Dr. Song believes that tart cherries in some way modify enzyme and/or chemical activity in the body. She would like to pursue this idea with clinical studies in the near future.

Research cited above by the Cherry Marketing Institute is from research conducted by the National Safety and Toxicology Center at Michigan State University;

In this study (Journal of Natural Products, 1999), researchers used the equivalent of 20 tart cherries. They found anthocyanins in the tart cherries inhibited two enzymes, COX-1 and COX-2, that play a role in the body's production of prostaglandins, natural chemicals involved in inflammation. This process to block inflammation
  3. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

Wish I lived somewhere that had fresh cherries. The best I can hope for is some fresh from the tree peaches in about a week or two. Yummmm.. I love the Bing cherries, but I can only get them in the store. I will have to try them and see if they help. Gives me an excuse to buy some. ha ha
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I know that cherry juice is recommended for gout and that's a form of arthritis. You might want to watch your sugar intake but otherwise....

5. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

I just bought them recently but haven't tried them yet. I read the same article.
  6. Well I love them so I will try anything!
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I tried fresh cherries last year and it really did help. The only problem was that it caused my acid reflux to act up so badly I had to stop eating them.

I hear it's good for arthritis too.