sweet potato

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lavender_butterfly, Oct 23, 2002.

1. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

Here is a silly question. I don't know if anyone will be able to answer, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what happens.

I find myself getting cravings for certain foods. Usually, it is something quite healthy, like spinach, for example. I get mad protein cravings from time to time and when I do, I treat myself to a nice dinner out at a steakhouse. Very rarely, I will get a craving for something sweet. When I do, I treat myself to a tiny sweet treat (dilly bars are my favorite) and life moves on. This has worked out pretty well for me so far.

Well, last weekend I noticed that I had been mad craving sweet potatoes all week. So I bought some for my lunches. Microwave them at work, chow down. EXCEPT...two days in a row now, I eat the sweet potato and my stomach eats me. I am almost doubled over in stomach pain right now. I am not sure if it is the sweet potato or not...but its the only thing I have eaten in awhile.

Does anyone else have this reaction to sweet potatoes? And if so, what could it be in sweet potatoes that I am craving? Could I eat something else or take a supplement of some kind to replace it? I am just curious. I don't know much about food reactions with this DD (I am 30 with FM). I am pretty new to all of this. Thanks so much for listening!
  2. lavender_butterfly

Here is a silly question. I don't know if anyone will be able to answer, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what happens.

I find myself getting cravings for certain foods. Usually, it is something quite healthy, like spinach, for example. I get mad protein cravings from time to time and when I do, I treat myself to a nice dinner out at a steakhouse. Very rarely, I will get a craving for something sweet. When I do, I treat myself to a tiny sweet treat (dilly bars are my favorite) and life moves on. This has worked out pretty well for me so far.

Well, last weekend I noticed that I had been mad craving sweet potatoes all week. So I bought some for my lunches. Microwave them at work, chow down. EXCEPT...two days in a row now, I eat the sweet potato and my stomach eats me. I am almost doubled over in stomach pain right now. I am not sure if it is the sweet potato or not...but its the only thing I have eaten in awhile.

Does anyone else have this reaction to sweet potatoes? And if so, what could it be in sweet potatoes that I am craving? Could I eat something else or take a supplement of some kind to replace it? I am just curious. I don't know much about food reactions with this DD (I am 30 with FM). I am pretty new to all of this. Thanks so much for listening!
  3. marinemom

marinemom New Member

When you crave "greens" your body needs the iron, and so forth. I can't answer about the sweet potatoes, but love them just like you! Never had a reaction to them, though!

Hope you get "better" help at figureing this out!

Kathy
  4. contessa

contessa New Member

Hi again - beta-carotene is very healthy, gives us great skin, good eyesight and a lot of cancer fighters. Sweet taters are also sweet, (how redundant is that??) which is should make them a pretty good food. Could your tummy troubles have been because you ate two of them? Or are you having a really stressful day? Either could make things pretty uncomfortable. I'm craving chocolate this week. It's been gray for two weeks now, and cold so haven't been able to do anything outside. I'm promising myself that when the candy jar is empty it's going to stay that way. But I just can't find the same longing when I pick up an apple. Hope you feel better soon.
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

When I was terribly anemic I Had to have raw carrots. Never went anywhere without a bag of them and this was before you could buy those nice little ready to eat ones. I finally went for the surgery to cure the problem causing the anemia and bingo I no longer wanted carrots. Makes no sense and no md knows what was in those carrots that my body was screaming for but it sure told me what it needed.
    When this too tired thing hit I started craving chocolate big time. My favorite was MCDonalds milk shake. They dairy would make me die but I kept right on getting them whenever on the road and needed food. (Wont eat fast food but shake would do) I finally gave up the shakes and concocted my cocoa and almond butter for a helthy fix. My point is not all cravings are equal. I wanted the chocolate but had to have the carrots. I doubt anyone will be able to tell you about the sweet potatoes. If the craving came out of the blue there probably is something in them you need, but what. It could be a combo that is making you sick. Try eating them alone, different times of day, cooked differently etc. Look them up and see whats in them and see if you can substitute other foods to satisfy. Oh boy, you get to play detective! Happy hunting and good luck. Let us know if you come to a conclusion. I'm interested.
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...esp. about eating too many carbs causing a craving for carbs. I just want to add that Fibro patients often crave carbs because they increse serotonin, which calms our overactive sympathetic nervous system. Sweet potatoes, besides being a high carb food, also have serotonin in them. Can't even guess why they would make you sick though.
    Klutzo
  7. lavender_butterfly

Thank you so much to all the useful information!! I am going to do some research, when I get the energy up.

But now, I am beginning to think it is the time of day, rather than the food I ate. Today, I ate plain chicken breast. I had the same thing last night for dinner, no pain. I ate the leftovers today at the same time I always eat lunch, and PAIN again. Just not as severe. Isn't that odd?

I guess its just one more question for my doctor!! I am still going to look into the information and suggestions that everyone mentioned. I have been considering a low carb diet for some time, but I need to be careful with that. I have been diabetic since I was 18 months old and any change in my diet needs to done very carefully. And with the help of a nice dietician. I have looked over a few of the less radical diets out there and I think I might buy a book or two, read about them, and then talk it over with my doc and dietician. Never hurts to try, so long as I am sane about it! LOL!

Thanks again!

[ advertisement ]