Sweet potatoes--are they from nightshade family?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fergie, Sep 23, 2002.

1. fergie

fergie New Member

I am going to start avoiding foods from the
    nightshade family to see if it makes any
    difference for me, but I have a question.
    Are sweet potatoes or yams considered to
    be a nightshade plant?
    Thanks.
  2. fergie

fergie New Member

I am going to start avoiding foods from the
    nightshade family to see if it makes any
    difference for me, but I have a question.
    Are sweet potatoes or yams considered to
    be a nightshade plant?
    Thanks.
  3. achy

achy New Member

Nightshades are Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and most peppers.
    HOWEVER...it states that there is Limited evidence that they promote inflamation, and that taking these foods out of your diet severely limits nutritional quality of dietary intake. Red peppers have 3X vit C as citrus!!

Now, Sweet potatoes are listed separately, so no, they are not nightshades (but don't ask me why)
    They are a good source of complex carbs & fiber. Ex. source of Vit A & C.

I just picked 30 sweet potatoes from my garden...yummy.
    try eliminating ONE thing at a time and see if you see a difference...
    hope this helped,
    Achy
  4. crickett

crickett New Member

I was wondering if any berries are in the nightshae family?
    Blueberries and strawberries??? I love blueberries but it seems that I have a flare after eating them. Sometimes, but not all times when I eat potatoes too. I can't figure it out.
  5. pitale

pitale New Member

I think potatoes may be the worst antagonist because, first of all, when I eat potato chips excessively, I get muscle pain, second of all, I once read that when McDonalds tried bioengineering potatoes to have higher starch content (thus more fryable), they proved toxic to arthritis sufferers, and thirdly, see these sites and draw your own conclusions:

http://www.livingwith.co.nz/index.cfm/area/LatestFindings/document/876

http://www.holisticbird.com/Hbn02/spring02/pages/carbs.htm

Personally, I find that the combo of fat + starch (as in potato chips, pizza, even licorice sticks) or fat + calcium (as in ice cream, chocolate, hard cheese) cause my joints to become painful, stiff & "clogged" especially if eaten excessively and when not washed down with hot drinks.
  6. pitale

pitale New Member

Crickett, what you have may be an allergy to blueberries. With potatoes, I can understand an inflammatory effect (in light of my above post), but blueberries contain anthocyanins which are anti-inflammatory.

So the only thing I can think of is that you're allergic to blueberries, due to the tendency of fibromyalgics to have out-of-whack immune systems. I know that red grapefruit causes me to get acne. That's also probably an allergy.