Swelling, edema in ankles, legs, help pls

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Mar 17, 2003.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

This is a new thing to me, it just started yesterday, my ankles are HUUUUUUUge. It goes up my legs, gets more normal about my knee area.

Does anyone know what I can do for that and/or what it is???

I also am getting a terrible rash on my face. Is this related?

Jaci
  2. battyforbeanies

battyforbeanies New Member

My feet, ankles and lower legs are also swelling so bad. It is so painful to try walking on them or even sitting or laying. I also would like to know what to do to get it to stop. Mine has been going up and down for a couple of weeks now. I shall keep an eye on the responses you get . Maybe I can get some help also.
    Have a great day,
    Vickie C.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Jaci:

Yes, I can relate to the swelling problem. For me it's in my feet, especially my left foot. When I take off my shoes (especially dress shoes) at the end of the day, there is always a shoe line. My left foot swells on the top and also the toes swell so much they rub together. If I keep my feet up all day (which is a rare occurence) then the swelling goes down. I've had it checked out, but no one seems to know what's causing. I guess it's just part of the FM. Once in awhile it itches. Sorry I can't give you any advice, but hopefully someone will have some info.

Ellen
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

keep an eye on the rash on face. could be symptom of lupus
  5. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Jaci,
    I have always had the swelling symtom right from the onset of this DD. I take lasix 20mgs and Potassium 750 mg every day. I am on my feet most of the day at work so this has been very helpful. Accupuncture when it starts getting really bad. That accupuncture has been a lifesavor for me with the leg swelling. It didn't take more than a few appt. Yes, I have to pay out of pocket but it is so worth it for me for swelling and pain management. Hope this is something you might try. Good luck. Hope it gets better fast.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  6. Frackie11382

Frackie11382 New Member

I know the feeling! The swelling used to be so bad for me that I would look (in the mirror) like I was 2 totally different people smushed together. I also got the rash and sometimes the swelled area would get fevered. After treatment with anti-inflammatories and countless other meds, I have found that the easiest way to reduce the swelling is to sit back and relax for a while. I still get the swelling now, but it's mostly in my right leg. Some days I hate having to wear panties because they hurt me so badly! But life goes on...pain killers kick in. You know how it goes. The rash will usually go away on its own, but you could try baby lotion or something similar. I have also found that Advil helps reduce the swelling some (it's the same medicine as in Voltaren), and a nice hot bath to relax my muscles is ALWAYS helpful.

I hope I was of some assistance!

Friends in Fibro,

Frackie aka Tara