swiffer wet jet may or may not be toxic.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hunterwillow, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. hunterwillow

    hunterwillow New Member

    I have done a search, and it seems that the chemical in swiffer wet jet is closely related to anifreeze. There is conflicting opinions on whether it is actually dangerous to small children and pets.

    Be on the alert before using this product. Better safe than sorry

    edited: I've done another search and seen reports that the dog that supposedly died from this product was just supposedly a rumour. It is not my intention to spread false information. I was just worried about the kids and pets.

    That being said, I never really looked very hard at some of the ingredients in the cleaning products I use. They are all supposed to be tested and deemed safe for household use by the manufacturer.( When used as directed.) But so are all the chemicals that are put into our food. Surely the FDA wouldn't allow any toxic chemicals in our food? Riiigghht.



    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
  2. karatelady52

    karatelady52 New Member

    Someone told me about this so I went to my urban legends website and found it is a rumor:

    Swiffer WetJet Toxic to Pets

    Netlore Archive: Forwarded email claims that the Swiffer WetJet disposable floor cleaner contains a substance toxic to dogs and cats

    Description: Email rumor
    Circulating since: May 2004
    Status: False
    Analysis: See below

    Email example contributed by Lynn P., 2 May 2004:

    Warning for your animal's health:

    I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wet jet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that anitfreeze is one of the ingredients. (actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from anitfreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking it's own paws, and the dog eating from its dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor cleaned with this product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals. .

    Comments: So far, I've found no evidence or documentation to substantiate this rumor. Quite the opposite, in fact.

    Though the product label advises (as with all cleaning products) to "Keep out of reach of children and pets," its manufacturer, Procter & Gamble, maintains that the Swiffer WetJet Cleaning System leaves no appreciable residue and is therefore safe to use in a household with pets, even if they lick the floor after it has been mopped.

    A low order of toxicity

    According to the Swiffer WetJet Material Safety Data Sheet, the product has "a low order of toxicity." It contains the following ingredients:

    Water (90% - 100%)
    Propylene Glycol n-Propyl Ether (1% - 4%)
    Isopropyl Alcohol (1% - 4%)
    Minor Ingredients (< 1%)
    Preservatives (< 0.1%)
    Propylene glycol n-propyl ether is a solvent similar to, but much less toxic than, ethylene glycol, the antifreeze ingredient always cited as a hazard to pets and children. The Material Safety Data Sheet for propylene glycol, which is present in no greater than a 4% concentration in the Swiffer WetJet cleaning solution, states that the chemical has "low toxicity in animal studies" where ingested. It is also found in other household cleaning products.

    The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has stated the following: "Propylene glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning products and do not cause kidney or liver failure."

    Anonymous, secondhand, purely anecdotal report

    Note, too, that the email report is anonymous, secondhand and purely anecdotal, offering no means of authenticating its central claim that three animals died as a result of ingesting the Swiffer WetJet cleaning solution — good enough reason to be skeptical.

    Procter & Gamble response to the Swiffer WetJet rumor:

    Question:
    Are the ingredients safe?
    Answer:
    We're glad you came to us for the facts about Swiffer WetJet. Let us assure you, this rumor is completely false. Our Wet cloths and WetJet liquid solution cleaners do not contain antifreeze or any ingredient similar to it.

    We have pets too and their health is very important to us. All our products have been evaluated by internal and external veterinarians and scientists, and Swiffer WetJet and Swiffer Wet cloths are safe to use around pets.

    We hope you’ll help us put an end to this rumor by letting others know the truth.

    Update: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Responds to Swiffer Wet Jet Rumor - May 7, 2004: "Veterinary Toxicologists regard allegations of liver failure and death from household cleaner as unfounded."




  3. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    Thanks Karatelady for this info. I recently posted on another post that my cleaning girl would use Mr. Clean and mop the floors and have them like a lake. My cat would get into it and lick her paws and it just made her vomit the next day, etc.

    I told her not to mop the floors anymore, that I would do it. I do use the Swiffer Wet Jet and worried about the chemicals in it because I could smell them. Didn't seem a problem when the floor was dry.

    I have thought about replacing the liquid in there with vinegar and water, but haven't looked into that and that solution would have to be replaced every time I used the Wet Jet.

    Trust me if Mr. Clean was toxic to pets, my cat would be dead now. I just don't think it was good for the floors to be swamped with the cleaner and didn't know how much she was using. The old cloth mops don't really clean as well as the newer ones anyway.

    Perhaps an email to Proctor & Gamble about making more chemically friendly cleaners would help.

    Hugs,
    Faye
  4. karatelady52

    karatelady52 New Member

    I do agree with you about chemicals. We use to have a guy come and spray our home for bugs in Louisiana and I always wondered how safe that stuff was. When I would ask the guy about it he said it was perfectly safe. I remember asking him, "Are you going to be around 20 years down the road when people get sick from this stuff?"

    I do think chemicals are much more toxic than we realize.
    I'm so much more careful now that I have a compromised immune system.

    Sandy