Swimming and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by talshiar, Jul 7, 2003.

1. talshiar

talshiar New Member

Hi folks--it's been a couple of months since I posted last. I've been doing the Guai thing with pretty positive results. I've been able to go to the local YMCA most week days for a swim and have really enjoyed it. I've felt an increase in strength and energy that I haven't had in years. I've even begun getting a bit tan!

This last week has me a bit discouraged though. I'm experiencing pain in places that I've not had pain before and renewed pain in my hips as well. I'm afraid i may have over done it on the swimming. Mostly I do just a series of light stretches in the water with a bit of easy swimming with swim fins on.

I plan to continue swimming but I'm wondering if the swimfins aren't causing me to over extend myself. Or perhaps I'm just going through another layer of healing from the Guai protocal.

I've had a few of these but they seem to only last a day or so, then I feel fantastic. I almost began to feel like I could go back to work! Then wham, my whole right side feels like it's been hit by a car!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to hear you were doing well, but sorry you have crashed. That does happen.

It could be that you are over doing it a bit with the swimming, just cut back some and see how you feel.

As for the Guai, Mikie can tell you about that. I do not do the Gurai myself.

Take care, and let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sometimes when people start feeling better with the Guai, they increase their activities and it can cause a flare. It could also just be a Guai flare. It's really hard to tell.

Keep a journal and see whether there is something else in your environment which might have caused this too. Are allergies a possibility?

Love, Mikie
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I don't do Guai, but I love the water. We have a pool, and I have been TRYING to ease in to a water exercise routine, but I am hurting everywhere! I am having a difficult time deciding if I am over doing it ...or if I am in a flare as well! All I know is I feel a lot better sitting in the hot tub, than I do moving in the pool!
  5. billiegail

billiegail New Member

I swim alot here lately and it helps me with my FM. I am hurting today, but I plan on getting in the water anyway. I am interested in knowing what that Guai is though.
    Thanks
    BillieGail
  6. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

hello, i own a pool and love the water. A couple of years ago i asked my dr. why when i same i felt worse, his reply was the water temp. He told me Fibro's and people with arthritis need water above 84 degrees. We have a above ground so we invested in a heater system. It did wonders. This possibly could be your problem. Have a wonderful day. mamafrey
  7. talshiar

talshiar New Member

thanks everyone for your input.

I think I will keep with the swimming and stop with the swimfins for a bit and see if thats the problem. One woman at the pool says she uses some newer, shorter excercise fins and they put less pressure on your knees etc--of course, they're pretty expensive for me... I go to a public pool so can't do much about the water temp--but, that does sound like it could be a factor. Perhaps I will make a point of going into the spa after a swim and see if heating up will help.

When I'm in the water, I feel very little pain. It feels fantastic to just paddle around even. And to get some sun...it feels very healing for me. Then I sit under an umbrella and read trying to block out the kids playing marco polo! I think there should be a rule against that game! How did I ever think that was such fun?? LOL.

Guai--do a search here--there are lots of folks who have been taking it longer than I and can point you towards urls with good info. I'm pleased with it so far--though I'm definately feeling the *worse before better* part! LOL.