Swine Flu Shot..Anybody?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Oct 13, 2009.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how many of you are planning on getting the swine flu shot. I am sort of on the fence about it;kind of leaning toward not getting it. My sister works in health care management so it''s a job requirement and my husband is vehemently against the shot. I am very confused!! Anyone want to weigh in on this?

2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I had not seen this post--I guess I scanned the board a bit to fast. Thanks for bumping!

3. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

We've both had our regular flu shot, got them almost 2 weeks ago. No problems except at the injection sites. My arm was really hot and sore for several days following the shot. Neither of us have ever gotten ill from the regular shot.

I know my Dr. will want me to have the swine flu shot also. I also have a couple of auto-immune diseases. I'm going to ask her point blank if, knowing my medical history, she really thinks I should get the shot. Normally I don't give the yearly flu shot a second thought. The swine flu does scare me though.

4. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I will not get the Swine Flu shot. I just don't think it was tested enough and I don't trust the govt. when they tell us it's safe.

I always get the regular seasonal flu shot and I never have any trouble with that. I will get it, but not the Swine Flu shot.

5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I got the seasonal flu shot the beginning of September when it arrived at the medical center. I will get the H1N1 shot but here the first batch received was for the health care providers and day care providers,the second batch which is expected soon will be given to OB/GYNs and pediatricians so they can vacinate kids and pregnant woman. The third batch will be for the rest of us and may not be received here until into late November or into December when the peak season is expected. Also, the vaccine received is already less than what was expected.

We're already getting hit in our county with the H1N1 flu so I wish I could get the vaccination now and not wait and possibly get the flu.
  6. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I have never had the flu shot and I don't plan on having the swine flu shot either. Although I am in the high risk group, because I have mild emphysema. I don't trust the government either when they say that the shot is safe...To many other shots have been bad, such as the ones for teenage girls to protect against cervical cancer. How many have died from that????

I will take my chances with vitamin D3, as there have been studies that show it's pretty effective for fighting the flu.....

7. victoria

victoria New Member

and that reaction was to the 'regular' flu shot. The CDC (aka Center for Deceit and Conspiracy according to one friend) checked that 'lot' and said there was nothing wrong with it, she was just one out of a million (or whatever, not sure of the figure, but supposedly documented as quite a rare reaction) who will react badly. Same goes for other vaccinations of course, there's always a % who react badly.

I don't get the shots either, never have...

NY state is trying to require all health care workers get the swine flu shot, and they're rising up in protest:

I don't blame them, who wants to be forced to be the guinea pigs for big pharma.... this is the U.S., we are supposed to have "say" over our bodies as adults. You'd think...

all the best,

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I plan to get the H1N1 shot. I posted a news story on the health and fibro board, how 11 children died in just this last week.

This flu hits healthy people especially the young and women who are pregnant.

We do not have the H1N1 vaccination available here at this time.

If you choose to not get the shot, stay in as much as possible. For everyone's sake.

9. victoria

victoria New Member

and here I am living in Mexico...
    I heard that the worst problems to date were in the southern hemisphere during their just-past winter.

But after hearing about what happened in the 1970s with that swine flu vaccination where more died from it than from the flu, imho it's being rushed too quickly. Altho those of us who lived thru that era apparently have better resistance, happily.

And, when they especially recommend it to immune-compromised & elderly, it seems like they're really the guinea pigs. Neither of my kids are getting it, the one with lyme nor even the one that works in a gov't office. their choice, actually.

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 10/17/2009]
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I posted an article that reported 11 children died from the H1N1 in the US just this week!!!

The shot actually boosts your immunity. However it is partiucarly devestating to healthy young people and pregnant women.

The statement that more people died from the vaccination in 1976 is not true, even though this "fact" keeps popping up.

Since they make flu vaccines every year, it can be made in the same amount of time that the seasonal flu. In fact, if it had been known sooner they could have combined the two.

I just wish that we will do like Canada and get the H1N1 shot first. At least I think that is what they are still doing. If not, someone let know.

I agree it is an individuals choice.
  11. jole

jole Member

At the rate the H1N1 is hitting around here, by the time the vaccine is actually available either the people who are going to get it will have had it, or the immunity will be there....lol....

And if it's so important for the kids and immune-compromised to get it, why are some states giving it to PRISIONERS first?? Wow! That one just blows my mind! Why are they so special, I'd like to know?

Actually, maybe they are the ones they should start with, come to think of it............

My kids/grands have all decided against it also. And yes, I heard 11 children have died this week.
  12. ckball

ckball New Member

I took one in 2001 and had a reaction like Mystic, the site got very big,red swollen and hurt for over a week. I have asthma and I have a wonderful Dr.

One of the vendors at work came in on a Thurs and said she spent Tues at the er with her daughter who has the swine flu. She said she was fine no symptoms. The daughter was having lung issues and gave her treatments and gave her tamiflu.

I wasn't feeling that great that day and my throat was a little sore, I had been to Wallies the day before. So I called my Dr and said I had been exposed to someone that had the swine flu and asked for Tamiflu. She gave it to me.

I hope I don't have to use it, but I feel much better having it, it says if taken within 24-48 hours after becoming symptomatic if will help trememdously.

I think if you have a good Dr and you can't or won't take the shot at least get the tamiflu so if you do get it you are prepared and won't have to go out sick.

I stay home a lot in the winter, try to go buy groceries/meds 2 times a month, then maybe a milk/bread thing at Dollar General after work on Fris. I have been in the hopital too many times with my asthma I am not taking any chances this year- They say this thing really does a number on your lungs and once to starts it progresses very fast.

That is what happened to the daughter of the vendor. She is ok now and mom didn't get it, so who knows why not. Hope this helps -Carla