switching doctors at pain mangement clinic?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Dec 7, 2008.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

does anyone know if it would be possible for me to request a different doctor in the pain mangement clinic i went to?

the doctor i did see in the clinic will not help me.

it was very obvious to me that he either does not believe me, or he has the wrong ideals about FM.

he will not give me *anything*, and basically said i just need to see a psycologist.

there are other doctors at this clinic, and i really need to find a doctor to help me.

anyone know if this would be an option?
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Ask the receptionist about switching docs. Then ask her if one of the other docs knows about fibro.
    I worked in a doc office and if I were you do this on the phone.

Personally I haven't been impressed with pain clinics. Have gotten less help there then with regular docs.They seem to not believe in fibro and not treat "all over pain". They like back stuff.

If you can't switch can you go to another clinic?

good luck you deserve better

3. Empower

Empower New Member

I am afraid that they might think you are just trying to get pain killers at this clinic. I am sure they would let you switch, but I can just see them giving you attitude

You may have to switch to another clinic
  4. leannebug

leannebug New Member

My experience was a little different.. but I am SO thankful it happened. It was at my regular (GP) doc, and the reason I switched, is because my (then) dr went on maternity... about 10yrs ago.

She was very similar to how you are describing your current doc. She didn't trust me, acted as if I was out to "get drugs" and really didn't put any thought into why I was having problems. At the time, my back wasn't involved, nor the arthritises, but I was still battling chronic headaches/migraines/fatigue.

After the switch, about a year later, I woke up one morning and couldn't move... thus my long road down to my current dx. BUT.. the new doc was a godsend, and I rely on him as my guardian angel now.

Possibly, you could just mention that you would like to stay at the same clinic, because they have your records or whatever, but for personality clash reasons, you'd like to try a different doc. When I used to work in an office, we often had people do this, and it was no problem at all.

Good luck to you!