Switching from EFFEXOR XR to CYMBALTA....?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Apr 4, 2006.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I just finished an appointment with my psychiatrist. I have been wanting to discontinue Effexor because of the withdrawal problems, and I was fully intending to just start to withdraw totally...but slowly...from antidepressants.

However,I believe that Effexor is no longer working for me, and the symptom of depression and the pain of FM has been so bad for the last month or so, that I had looked into Cymbalta. The doctor agreed that I should change to Cymbalta. If I get stabilized, then he said that getting off Cymbalta is easier than the Effexor.

So, he has given me a 7 week schedule, and bless his heart, the medications to make the switch. Wonderful.

I will keep you posted. I am hoping the process will not be as bad as I will be taking another medication that works on the same neurotransmitters.

Ain't life fun? (-:

Sue

If any of you have done this, what was your experience?
  2. kayice

kayice New Member

I like Cymbalta but I seem to be back to not sleeping again. It does help with the pain some. (I think it makes me a little obsessive about some things, but it may be just me.)
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was on Elavil at one time, also. Worked for a short amount of time.

I have trouble sleeping anyway, so that won't be anything new. I'm glad to hear you feel some pain relief.

I'll see what happens when the switch starts tomorrow. A slow thing, thankfully.

Sue
  4. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

me from Effexor to Cymbalta with no tapering off. Just Effexor one day and Cymbalta the next. Started with 30 mg of Cymbalta and am now on 60. So far so good. The Effexor was making me crash every day at 1:00 almost like clock work. The Cymbalta seems to be helping with pain and sleep -- at night instead of the middle of the day. Happy so far.

Linda
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Just switched dead on from Effexor to Cymbalta?

Were you on XR and how much, if you don't mind saying.

I begged my shrink to switch me off Effexor as I don't think it is working, and it is SIMPLY AWFUL IF ONE MISSES IT FOR SOME REASON. ADditionally, I think the stuff makes you gain weight. A patient of my therapist switche off it and lost 40 pounds in three months without changing their eating habits.

WHAT IF WE HAD SOME KIND OF DISASTER AND YOU CAN'T GET THE STUFF?

At any rate, he REFUSED AND INCREASED THE EFFEXOR. I INTEND TO BUY A DOLL THAT LOOKS LIKE HIM AND PUT NEEDLES IN EVERYWHERE I HAVE PAIN. LET ME SEE, THAT WILL BE A LOT OF PINS.

At any rate, I was wondering if one can switch cold turkey from Effexor to Cymbalta.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am with you all the way. I wanted off that medication because of the horrors of withdrawal. I was cut too quickly one time a year or more ago, and it put me in such pain and I was flat on my back. Upped the dose again, but never stopped the pain completely again.

I was taking 300 mgs. Effexor a day...My doctor is withdrawing me slowly because of the problems. I see the Eeyore went from one to another....don't know that I would do that with my doseage and my doc surely didn't recommend it.

Anyway, Effexor has also stopped working as my pain has become very much worse in the last month. So...

I certainly understand your wanting to get off it. Will keep you in my thoughts. I think I would keep bugging my doc to get my way. At least he should tell you why he won't, and if it seems legit, OK...if not, you may want to find another doc to get away from Eff.

Sue