Swollen Fingers...Do I get Ring Cut Off??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Feb 26, 2006.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I was taking Naproxen for about 3 months and the weight gain was awful so I got doc to change them last week.

I only wear my wedding ring now and my finger is sooooo swollen it is making my finger sore as hell and I am wondering of I should have the ring cut off or see if the swelling goes down soon??
    I used to wear my mums wedding ring a few years ago and had to have that cut off cos of the pain but I did not really want my own cutting off so I dont know what to do.

Maybe give it a day or two to see if it gets any better??

Rena
  2. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Also keep your hand up so the blood flow goes away from your hand. I used ice and dish soap.

Good luck,
    Auntyem
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

My husband is a jeweler and has cut off many rings over the years. If your finger is actually hurting, then the blood supply is being compromised and you could be doing tissue damage. It's nothing to mess around with.

Here are a couple of suggestions to try along with the ones mentioned. If they don't work, then please call till you find a jeweler with a special saw to cut off the ring without damaging it. Many ERs ruin mountings and loosen stones. If it's done properly by a jeweler, it should be fairly inexpensive to have it resized or welded again later.

Dental Floss: Wrap waxed dental floss around the base of your finger next to the ring fairly tightly on up past the knuckle. In many cases the ring will slide off.

Ice and Oil: Soak your finger in ice water for five minutes, then hold your hand up in the air (all fingers pointing up) for five minutes. Do this three times, then put mineral (baby) oil or cooking oil on your finger and while holding it up, try to slide the ring upward and off.

Repeatedly twisting the ring to try to get it off will just make the swelling worse.

Jan
  4. i had to have my wedding ring cut off.my husband bought me a bigger ring,but sadly ive had to stop wearing that even.my fingers just seem to swell more when i wear a ring,so ive opted for wearing no rings now.im just sick of people asking if im married haha.

kind regards
    fran xx
  5. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Thank you everyone for your help!!

I have tried all kinds of creams and oils but I decided to try the ice and washing up liquid that a few of you mentioned.I cried with the pain but I managed to finally get it off.
    Thr relief was wonderful because my finger was looking as if it was cut underneath the ring and I have spent the last few hours just putting antiseptic cream on.It is very sore and the skin is cracked.
    My finger still feels as though I am wearing the ring and the shape of my finger is still a bit like a fat sausage!! But I am sooo happy now.

So cheers!!!

Rena
  6. im so happy to hear that you managed to get your ring off your finger yourself,instead of having to have the ring cut off.i think im going to try and buy a larger but thinner ring and see if my finger can tolerate that.if the finger swells up too much then im thinking,,wear no ring,ive got the marrage certificate that prooves im married,oohh and my wedding day photos..

all the best
    fran xx
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

SOOO glad to hear that you got it off!
    In highschool I was wearing a ring that my Dad gave my Mum & jammed my fingers in something, causing them to swell.
    I panicked BIG TIME when the circulation started to get cut off & made my best friends Father (a carpet layer,) cut it off!! It damaged the ring beyond repair, which is very VERY sad :( I really wish that I would have tried some other methods to get it off without panicking, but it's too late to think about it now ;)
    As for the redness underneath, it's usually a form of dermatitis?? & could get worse over the next day or so... My wedding band is very wide & often I get this 'reddening' underneath. It can be very painful & sometimes takes a little while to heal.
    ~*Gentle Hugs*~

Lisa
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

and the jeweler was able to resize it. It wasn't too expensive, and I didn't want a new ring...I wanted THAT one! Mine was due to a bad case of hives. Glad you got the ring off! Terri
  9. ryanangel

ryanangel New Member

So glad you got your ring off...I had the same issue and used a bunch of different things to get it off. I got it resized and can now wear it again. My other rings sit as I don't want to spend the money on resizing or chancing they won't come off!

Donna
  10. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I had tried all the above remedy's and nothing worked until my daughter suggested Vaseline. It was painful but it worked. When my husband was in a refinary acid explosion the ER cut his ring off. I went to jeweler to jeweler and they all said it couldn't be fixed. There is a rock shop I like to go to in Oklahoma and we explained the problem and he fixed it good as new except for the inscription inside. I had my mothers wedding ring with a tiny but deep diamond that all the jewelers said "Nobody cuts diamonds that way anymore." The gold was also worn through. The rock shop dealer put a real diamond in it and fixed it back with real gold. I was so broke I thought maybe a rhinestone or cheaper metal would work but he fixed it good as new and the cost was very low.
  11. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

on getting your ring off! I'm sure you feel better now just knowing you got it off and didn't have to have it cut.

Auntyem
  12. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I feel so much better after having my strangled finger set free!lol!
    I will wait til all the swelling has gone down and see if I need to get my ring made bigger or if it will fit me again.
    Maybe it was not the naproxen that made my fingers swell up but I know I have put more weight on since going on them and read up that rapid weight gain was a side effect so I thought it was that.
    It could have been the fibro... gggrrrrrr....
    I dont like being heavy either so hopefully I will drop a few pounds now and enter myself in the next marathon HAHA!

Rena
  13. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I lost 43 pounds that I had gained due to medication
    1 1/2 years ago. I was finally able to wear rings that I couldn't wear with the weight gain. I was maintaining my new weight without any problem until a few months ago.
    I am taking Klonopin and Doxepin Elixir for sleep after coming off many months of little to no sleep!! I think the Doxepin is slowing down my metabolism :( I don't want to deal with insomnia again, so I'm staying on it, but I fear gaining more weight. I was down to a size 8, and very happy with how I looked.

Recently my wedding ring and engagement ring have been stuck on my finger, with noticeable swelling around my knuckles. After reading all the suggestions here, I opted to try the vaseline, as it sounded the easiest! Lo and behold...my rings are now off :) I had to really work on my engagement ring, but my wedding band came right off. I am going to keep them off until the swelling comes down. Unfortunately, my engagement ring looks mishapen on the bottom. I also have very acidic skin, and have had this happen with 14K gold before, as well as turning jewelry different colors. I may just get a new setting for my ring in a larger size. I've always wanted a different setting to show off my diamond, which was from my grandmother's ring, and passed down to me. Now i have a good reason to do this!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. I'm glad your ring is off, too, Rena!

~Cindi~
  14. Cindi

Cindi New Member

in my previous post. My fingers were going faster than my brain!

~Cindi~