Swollen Fingers Every Morning ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sharon5650, Apr 10, 2007.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Does anyone have swollen painful fingers every morning. I am getting this for the last year now, and still the doctor says there is no sign of arthritis !!! I am not to sure if this might be a side affect from one of the meds, or maybe the Fibro/chronic fatigue, but wow everymoring they are so painfully swollen to wake up with. I am curious to know if anyone else has these symptoms. Oh Yes they are also becoming quite disfigured as well..

sharon5650 up here in Canada !!
  2. Just4Me

Just4Me New Member

every morning I wake up with my hands feeling very swolen and tight...as well as my feet....I spend most of my daywith pain in my hands.. I usually run them through cold water to soothe them bc they feel like they are burning...so I would say its safe to say that its one of the thousands of symptoms that FMS comes with....

3. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

I got that too!!! but my fingers don't acually swell. Mine last me all day.
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Feel swollen but aren't. Drop many things because hands feel tight and inflexible.

Yes I attribute to the FM!

Take care
  5. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I just noticed that the swelling isnt going down in my right hand when I tried to put on rings that I have had for years.My feet hands and face are swollen in the A.M..Like I need another reason not to be cute in the morning
  6. Engel

Engel New Member

drop things ... have trouble writing
  7. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I have never had swollen and sore fingers before, and I've been ill for over three years. This is something new for me. My Dr. says it is probably just the fibro, but had me get labs done today to check for rheumatoid, etc. I was suspicious of one of my meds, but my Dr. didn't seem to think it was that. I take Cymbalta and Neurontin. Do you take either of those?
  8. swedeboy

swedeboy New Member

Often when I wake up my ring is hard to get off my finger. But I have no idea why my fingers swell.
  9. flossyfudleFran

flossyfudleFran New Member

i also have swollen fingers in the morning,and then the swelling goes after about 3 hours,then returns later in the evening.

yesterday when i woke up,there was no swelling at all,and my hands looked very old.i know you might find that strange but.when the fingers arent swollen,theres all this loose/hanging skin on my fingers,and the skin is all old and wrinkly looking.

id imagine the skin is being stretched too much during the swollen bouts.then another time when they arent swollen,this loose hanging skin just flaps about on the fingers.its weird isnt it.kinda looks like the hands of a very old woman...then another time,skin so tight the hands look like they belong to a baby.haha, a very fat one.as during the swelling the fingers are as thick as sausages, then very thin, on the no swelling days.

i have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.my blood work says no arthritis present,but i too have bent fingers, with knobbly sort of lumps on the finger joints just below the finger nails.and i get a throbbing pain in those lumps too.

kind regards

fran
  10. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

sharon you are my name sake nice name girlfriend!
    Welcome to my rapidly growing fibro family i love you like i love everyone on here.
    If you ever need me message me and i will get back to you asap.
    May god bless you + yours.
    Fibrolady37.
  11. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

I have CFS,FMS,Osteoarthritis and another 37 illnesses aswell.
    My hands and arms swell it could be cfs or osteoarthritis.
    May god bless you and yours.
    Fibrolady37.
  12. app5775

app5775 New Member

Swelling of the fingers and ankles, so forth can also be a sympton of heart issues. My fingers swelled so I couldn't get my rings off back several years ago. At that time I was dealing with heart arrythmias and finally wound up going to Cleveland Clinc for a cathertar ablation. That took care of my arrythmias for the most part but to this day I no longer wear rings for fear of not being able to get them off. You might want to have your doctor check your heart for any signs of issues there that you may or may not be aware of.
  13. sweed07

sweed07 New Member

Oh yes, I too have very swollen and sore fingers every morning. Have had so for many years. I don't know how/ if related to the fibro, but I do have arthritis as well. Been having major flare lately where everything hurts. My Doc put me on prenizone for awhile last time. But I haven't gone back for this time. Just don't like taking more pills! My fingers are really getting crooked as well.
    I don't know how often you see your Doc, but you might get your blood checked every once in awhile. Just to keep an eye on the arthritis. You never know.
    Take care now.
    Chris
  14. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Sharon..
    good to see you! haven't seen you around for a bit. Yes I have been having trouble with the knuckle on my middle finger the last several weeks as well as my left ankle. I also knowticed that my feet have been sweeling which isn't usual. Yesterday at the end of the evening there were 3 middle fingers on my right hand hurting. My middle finger feels as though it could pop or is out of wack. But my son is in Chiropratic school and checked it and said it was ok..it just feels swollen. I to have recently been checked for arthritis and nothing showed, she said Fybro usually does not show up. also...the top of my big toenail on each of my feet has been yellow..how's about yours?..I have asked 3 different doctors about this and can't find the answer. It has also been tested for fungal problems and that isn't it either. It looks like the blood only goes half way up on my big toes. I am hoping there is nothing wrong with my heart, but she listens to it everytime I go in and doesn't seem to hear any problem. I have been driving me crazy not knowing what is going on in these situations. Interesing footnote. you know I said my feet have felt swollen and that right but both ankles have hurt, well interestingly enough, I just got a breakout of herpes V1 leasons around my ankles...now..does the herpes virus have anything to do with all of this sweeling in the tissue...I am suspictious.

love ya ` GigglePoet
  15. sweed07

sweed07 New Member

Sharon, I didn't mention before, but have you ever been checked for Carpel Tunnel? I have this in addition to the other stuff. Lucky me! Yea! Anyway, my fingers get swollen, achy, a lot of the time they just hurt. They can cramp, with pains shooting through the wrist and the hand itself, including the palm. They also will go numb. The pain will shoot up the arm. I can't put my hands in cold water. They would really hurt then. I use warm water to soak them in to try to ease the pain.
    I do hope you can find some relief from this. Try to get some rest and do take care.
  16. GoWest

GoWest New Member

My fingers were swollen upon awakening for years. But lab tests never diagnosed the cause. Finally many years later I had a positive test for borrelia or Lyme disease at IgeneX lab. It was a western blot IgG, IgM and a urine antigen test - all positive.

Finally a diagnosis, just not a cure, Lyme disease.

GoWest and get away from the ticks, only don't go to northern California.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2007]
  17. niecsey

niecsey New Member

just laetly my fingers are swollen! This morning really badly lt took me ages to get my ring off there still the same this evening. Is swelling a fibro symptom too? Im waiting to have my first rheumy appnt end of sept thnk you x
  18. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

but definatly more in the morning.

Jenn