Swollen Hands and Feet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckdax, Mar 1, 2003.

1. ckdax

ckdax New Member

My friend has FM and has recently developed swollen hands, feet, ankles, knees and wrists. Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done for it? Thanks! Carole
  2. healing

healing New Member

Carole, I have never had all these at once, but I get them regularly piecemeal. Anti-inflammatories like Advil or Ecotrin help, or your friend may need bigger drugs that are used to treat arthritis. Avoiding salty and spicy foods can help, too, when I have a tendency to swelling. Hope your friend gets better soon.
  3. boochaucer

boochaucer New Member

I too get swollen hands, feet, ankles, and knees. Most often my hands swell and turn red from my knuckles to the end of my fingers. They feel stiff and have no strength. I drop things all the time. Over use (which of course could mean doing the dishes) usually triggers my hands but I often will wake up during a flare with my hands and face puffy.
    Not much helps with my swelling....I just try to rest my hands and put my feet up, etc. I do have braces for my hands and supports for my knees and ankles which I got at the local pharmacy that I wear when things get really bad.

Icy-Hot is a life saver for me. It helps with the pain in my hands and shoulders for awhile. It's a B#&!H to apply to my shoulders tho, since I live by myself there's no one to assist.
    LOL
    Boo
  4. catgal

catgal New Member

I have FM/CFS, osteo/psoriatic/rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative disc disease with multiple back problems, pinched nerve in neck, and other nerve damage--but every morning when I get out of bed my hands are swollen all over and my feet are stiff, swollen, and won't bend. Sometimes it feels like I am walking on a tennis ball on the instep of my feet. I take 20mgs of Bextra every night for the arthritis--but still get the swelling.

It isn't until around 9 or 10 a.m. that my hands and feet are back to normal.

I don't know what causes it. Carol...