Swollen painful abdomen. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shananegans, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I have had pain and swelling in the left side of my abdomen since right around May/June of this year and have yet to get an answer as to what is wrong from my lovely doctors.

So far we have ruled out Kidney and Pancreas issues through an abdominal ultrasound and ruled out kidney stones through an abdominal CT Scan. I am now seeing a Gastroenterologist who will be performing an Endoscopy this coming Friday to check things out from the inside and get biopsies if necessary. So far no one has any real ideas as to what is going on or if it is related to any of my current issues.

The pain is constant but it gets worse if I do too much and that is when it swells to a noticeable level. It feels swollen and tight all the time but will get worse if I over do. So far I haven't noticed if it's related to anything I am eating as it doesn't happen specifically with any food. I'm getting so stinking frustrated because it's been months with no answer (not that I'm surprised) but I just want to at least have an idea of what the heck is going on. This has never happened before.

Also, I don't know if it's related or not but I suspect I have Celiac (so does the Gastro), I've gained 70 lbs in the last 1 1/2 and have had repeated UTI's in the last year.

Has this happened to anyone else? What was your result?

Edit: To add: I do not consume gluten and haven't in a really long time. Well at least not on purpose. Been gluten free for longer than this issue has been going on. In case anyone was wondering. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2009]
  2. petemora

petemora Member

I had terrible bloating this past summer. I finally went to the doctor and he said he thought I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. But since I obtained financial assistance through the clinic's private charitable group, my doctor doesn't seem too interested in me as a patient anymore. So, on my own, I decided to try Mira-Lax for 7 days. Plus, I have eliminated Frozen Yogurt from my diet, as well as lots of other things like things made with tomato sauce, etc. The bloating finally went away and I have been trying to stay on a very bland diet. Whether there is any connection or not, who knows?

By the way, I did test negative for gluten intolerance a few months ago.[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2009]
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

The colon needs healthy bacteria (probiotics) to do its job. They finish the digestion process and supply us with systemic enzymes. It's called a symbiotic relationship. Most antibiotics kill off the bad bacteria, but they also kill off the good. Any kind of diarrhea will also clean it out. The purpose of the appendix is to store probiotics and reboot the colon.

There are many sources of probiotics: sour cream, yogurt, sauerkraut, buttermilk...but the best one is Kefir. Traditional kefir is grown on goat's milk. there are store brands that taste rather good but I heard that they're weak. Some kefir braggs 10 strains of probiotics.

Goat's milk is more easily digested by those having problems with dairy.

I just ordered a kefir kit.

Probiotics live on certain kinds of fiber, so fruit pectin should be consumed daily. You can find it in the canning section of the store. Also, chickory coffee might help. Inunin from chickory also feeds probiotics.
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

The spleen is a very vascular organ. It holds 1/2 pint of blood and is easily damaged from injury. It holds infections until the body is able to deal with it.

The standard test is to press under the left lowest rib. If you fall on the floor in pain, you should see a doc soon. It shouldn't hurt.

The right side test is the gall bladder, and a little lower is the appendix. Just in case you have brain fog like I do.
  5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

when i had mono, my insides were swollen and tender...i can't remember which side was worse, but is it possible you have mono and just don't know it because you are ill anyways? or mild mono? i was told you can get it more than once in your lifetime....

i hope you find some answers and that they are good news....
  6. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I went through exactly what you are going through in 2007. The Colonoscopy, CT scans, MRI, ultrasound and on and on and on. I have had five C-sections and a partial hysterectomy between the years of 1983 and 2000. I began having the intollerable pain on the left side, the swelling and all in 2007 went to at least five different doctors and their final conclusion was. "It's scar tissue from all your operations attaching itself to your intestines and it's inoperablel Sorry you will just have to learn to live with the pain.

I truly hope your outcome is better than mine. The pain is practically unbearable at times and the your Dr.s look at you like you are a woooossseeeeee. Let me just rip their guts out six times, never returning them in the same order they came out in and them stomp on them to make the all fit back in and hurry and stitch her up before they oozze out again.

Sorry this was supposed to be supportive. I guess I just wanted you to know your not alone.
    Hang in there,
  7. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

petemora: Thank you for the idea. Unfortunately this is not bloating. When it swells more than usual and the pain gets worse the left side of my abdomen becomes hard as a rock and I can even stretch out the area but I do appreciate the suggestion!

AllWXRider: I do probiotics via yogurt at this point. I'm a yogurt junkie... hahaha. I don't take anything else outside of yogurt as I'm not sure that this is digestion related and want to find out for sure before I add anything else to my usual regimen. And according to the abdominal ultrasound all of my organs seem to be fine so so far it's not the spleen, but who knows at this point. But thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate any ideas!

ilovepink4: I've been tested for mono so many times and it has always come back negative, so far. But thank you for the suggestion and I will definitely keep in mind your suggestion just in case one day mono does pop up!

nah.stacey: Sorry to hear about your troubles! That is a lot to have on one's plate! I am 29 and have never had children or any "work" done on the female parts so far. They do however think I am polycystic as I have had constant ovarian cysts since I was 16, but they do not think it is related to the current situation (but who knows right?). Thank you for the well wishes and letting me know I am not alone. It's so frustrating to never get an answer! But I'm sure you know all about that by the sounds of it.

I will keep everyone updated as to what I find out on Friday and please keep the ideas coming!

Thank you!
  8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've had a permanent lump under my left rib for years now. Mine doesn't hurt very much or very often though. The doctor looked at it and said it would be best for me to not do anything about it. I've met another fibromite who has the same lump in the same place and she had a couple of major surgeries and the doctors said they could feel the lump beforehand and promised her they would look at it and take it out if possible but both times they could see nothing from the inside! She calls it Louis the Lump-lol.

I think you should see your doctor though especially since you are in so much pain. Mine might be swollen serous tissue and I'm sure it's related to these darn DDs.