Swollen Upper Lip - Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elisa, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi All,

I have a swollen upper lip (only on the left side only) out of no where...I've had it three days now. There is clearly a hard bump inside it.

(Also, as some of you know Ive had a fever for over two years too)

Went to urgent care last night - they had no idea - said use ice and benedryl. But ice seemed to make the swelling harder and hurt more.

Sometimes I can see a little pore/hole on the top of the most swollen part. My smile is crooked now and my nose cartridge hurts.

I've never had cold sores.

Anyone else experience this - any ideas?

Thanks so much,

2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I am not sure about why your lip might be swollen like that.

My only thought was maybe a bug bite but I'm not sure,
    if that is the case or not.

I"m sorry that ER wasn't more help .

Just wanted to let you know I'll keep you in my thoughts .

Hope it feels better and goes away.
  3. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Pansy,

Thanks so much for your help! I thought it might be a bite of some kind when I saw the tiny pore on the swollen part of my lip...yuck. The worst part is to think it bit me in my sleep.

It's so painful and nothing seems to diminish the swelling - just time I guess.

Thanks for your thoughfulness,

4. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

I had one side of my top lip swell HUGE. The first time was before a huge dance at high school. It grew huge within one class time, everyone could tell.

One side of upper lip has swollen at random times since then, not often. I think you are seeing an enlarged pore from the swelling.

I never have found out what caused it, stress; environment; virus hidden in my body.

ice made mine super red and didn't seem to help. Cool wet papertowels helped the most

If you use Bendryl, either use it topically in cream or a pill, not both (a Dr. said that it counteracts itself if you use both)

I think now, it is a virus that is dormant until a stressor hits your system. I think the virus stimulates the nerve endings in the upper lip until it tingles and swells.

lol, sounds crazy

I would try to get an antiviral and eliminate ...? The sugar overload in our system, sorry! major fog-- can't recall the word. Nystan may be used to 'kill the sugar'.

Good luck, I hope the pain eases soon
  5. Elisa

Elisa Member

Thanks for all the great tips...

You are right - the hole is the pore enlarged from the severe swelling. Just got back from the dermatologist.

It was a severe infection inside the skin - maybe acne that could not get out - but the infection caused massive inflammation with no where to go. My lip and side of face swelled up huge.

He put me on antibiotics for 2 wks - twice a day.

Thanks so much for your help - and support - so kind of you - I'm grateful!

I'm going to try the cool paper towels - that seems gentle to my face! THANKS AGAIN![This Message was Edited on 08/12/2009]