Sylvia Browne Do you believe her?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Aug 16, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I've read a couple of Sylvia Browne's books and watched her on Montel. I thought she was the real deal until lat night. I was reading her latest book called "Insight". She has many letters and affidavits from people she helped. One of the letters from a woman(pg. 183). She said Sylvia told her she was burned at the stake as a witch in Salem in the late 1600s. Supposedly, this is why the woman had such an irrational fear of fire.

Although many people mistakenly believe witches in Salem were burned, that is not true. There were no witch burnings. Nineteen of the "witches" were hanged and one was pressed to death with big stones.

I can't believe Sylvia, her staff, or editors didn't catch this and keep it from the book. I now have to wonder if she is just another fraud.
  2. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

She is the only phychic I do believe in...

I heard her tell the same thing to a woman today on Montel.

I am not a history major..can't argue the point if there were organized witch burnings in Salem or not ..but isn't it possible that it was done, by some good old boys out on the back forty from time to time..there are many curel things that happen every day that are never reported or recorded. I am just assuming that has always been the case.

Just my opinion...

Tami
  3. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

She was, however, dead wrong on this one. The scenario you brought up is probably possible but since everything was well documented during that time, I kind of doubt something like that went unnoticed.

I've heard her make quite a few medical mistakes on TV too. It may just be that she doesn't understand biology and human anatomy as well as she thinks she does.

Most of the time, I think she is probably right on about things. I just think sometimes her mind might make up things to fill in the gaps. Her big mistake about the miners being alive on the radio show had to be a big blow too.

Oh well, I had thought about having a reading some time but I think I better spend that $750 on something else.
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

First, let me say I believe in some psychics. I start to wonder when they want high amounts for their "service". I like Syvia for her personality, but have started to doubt her a bit as time have passed.

She also want outrageous amounts of money for a reading. I have friends that are true psychics,and they say that you sell your gift away (loose ability) by demanding money for your services. I believe it's ok to take payments when appropriate, I also believe you can give free readings to broke people like us,,,LOL!. To be able to practice and serve fulltime, one must ask for some fee to "survive". Go to Syvia's online site and see her prices, judge for yourself.

When I am unsure about facts I always go to Wikipedia.org. I found the following info there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt

In fact, witches in England were never burnt, but were hanged; burning of witches was practiced on the European continent (additionally, many aspects of Wicca are of modern origin and were not part of the historical Pagan practices). Modern historians agree the witchhunts had nothing to do with persecuting a pagan cult, but were the result of an interplay of a series of complex historical and societal factors. It is probable that the majority of the accused identified as Christian. [Keith Thomas 514-7, Hutton passim]

Contemporary practitioners of Wicca and related Neo-Pagan religions admit that Margaret Murray's work was flawed and that Wicca was not, in fact, an ancient religion, but a new incarnation of "ideal" pre-Christian beliefs. They believe that their religion is no less valid because of its recent inception.

In some countries, especially in Scandinavia, the majority of the people accused of witchcraft were male. In Finland some 70% and in Iceland almost 80% of the accused were men.

[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]
  5. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

today too and I was kind of surprised (if that is the right word) at how rough she seemed towards some people. I felt extremely bad for the one woman that got up and said her husband had been missing for 7 months did Sylvia know anything about that? And without blinking an eye, Sylvia said, he is dead......check around Atlantic City. I couldn't believe that she just blurted that out like that. She doesn't seem to have much compassion and I think when people are searching for answers that compassion should be something that would be used.

As for believing her....i'm on the fence about it.

Lis
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

I just don't know. I do think she is a little harsh sometimes when she answeres questions. A part of you wants to believe that she is really psychic, but I am just not sure to be honest.

Kriket
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

little was a spirit guide (if there are such things). Her name was Wendy and she had blonde hair and drove a red sports car. Maybe she was really a Gwyndolyn or something.

Anyway, I know it's off topic to bring up Sylvia but I had this dream of getting a reading to help with my health. I hope much of what she says is true about the other side, etc.

8. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

The last time I watched her a woman was complaining about pain all over her body and the doctors can't find anything wrong...sylvia said "its fibromyalgia"

I almost fell out of my chair! Whether she's real or not...she is an advocate for US.

Dawn
  9. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

My aunt just adores her. She has every book she's written. She even tells me about her out of body experiences.

I want to believe Sylvia, but I am a skeptic. I was shoxked yesterday as well when she blurted out to that dear lady about her hubband being dead in Atlantic City.

I would like some opinions of my own about something else.
    Maybe I'll start a new thread about life after death and heaven.

10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Years ago, I really believed her and read her books, etc. Not so sure anymore. The more I watch her, the more skeptical I get.

After watching her on Montel over the last few years, I think she does have some ability, but she also seems to be making stuff up on the fly, instead of just saying I don't know.

What struck me yesterday was when the women asked about her husbands body not being found. Sylvia said he was in water so it would not be found. Turns out he was a firefighter in 9/11, so she tried to backpedal out of it.

She tells almost everyone that is sick that they have fibromyalgia, which is also a pat answer since no one can really prove her right or wrong. I think, in a way, it hurts our cause more than helps it.

Nonetheless, I continue to watch, like the others, more for the entertainment value.

My friend has a reading with her - in THREE years!!

Just my 2 cents.

Sue in Ontario
  11. Kay31

Kay31 Member

At one point in my life I was really "into" psychics. I finally came to the conclusion that 99.9% of them are frauds. After going to so many readings, I felt that I could practically "fake it" because their litany is SO predictable.

A REAL ONE! I met one woman who was truly blessed with the gift of clairvoyance as a child. She predicted so many things that her family thought she was "bedeviled" and called in the parish priest to chase out the demons.

She NEVER asked for money, but we would send her offerings. Most of her readings were done on the phone. She told me things that were amazingly true. She "saw" and heard messages; sometimes she would admit she didn't know what they meant.

We became really good friends.....she has now passed on.

So there MIGHT be others who are legit, but I doubt that Sylvia is if she takes so much money.

Kay
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2006]
  12. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

IVE SEEN HER A AFEW TIMES AND THINK SHE IS A COMPLETE JOKE. SHE JUST MAKES CRAP UP AS SHE GOES ALONG. I HEARD SHE DID SOMETHINK FOR MONTEL AND THATS WHY HE ALWAYS HAS HER ON. JESUS IS THE REAL DEAL...........GOD BLESS FOY
  13. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have heard of this Sylvia Browne but really do not know much about her other than what I have read here.

She obviously needs to do a little research before doing "readings" you are right the Salem Witch Trials had no burnings.

I am sure I could find something better to $750.00 myself but each to their own...

So no I do no think I would believe anything this person said but I am a pretty jaded person and feel that most people in the public eye who say they have this kind of ability-usually do not.

They are just out to make a buck and take advantage of lost persons who are searching for something anything in their life and that is very sad.

Thanks,

Karen :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2006]
  14. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I'm probably going to offend people here, but that is not my intention. This is just what I believe.

I am a Christian. The Bible says that a prophet (read "psychic") is only a true prophet if s/he is 100% accurate. (In biblical days if a prophet was wrong once s/he was stoned to death.) Ms. Brown has been wrong plenty of times.

So sorry, I don't believe her. After all, a broken clock is right twice a day! LOL

Please don't take offense. I don't take offense at those who are not Christians.

God Bless.
  15. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

She has told the people to eat more protein. Tell me something I don't know. She believes in God, says her talent is from God, etc. - I like her for that part. It's just the fact that she seems to be a little too full of herself at times and a "I'm not ever wrong attitude" that gets to me. She does, however, say that God is the only one that is right 100% of the time.
  16. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

JI have seen Sylvia Browne twice, the first time she read my SIL...

I do not care for her as much as I used to...I believe she has some ability....I think she is way too comercialized...and asks a horrible amount of money for her service...she is a psychic...

The second time I saw her I also saw John Edward, now I really like John..he is awesome! I have also been to see James Van Praagh, he is also amazing..they are mediums...

Sylvia has her son and grand daughter in the act now....that kinda turns me off...she also has her own church... asks for money...way, way too much..

There are other good mediums out there, Jenny Crawford is one..that I have had many readings with, she is from New Zealand...she is a medium..Also John Holland is good, I have see him...also a medium..

I would love to see Robert Brown (no relation to Sylvia)he is a medium to John Edward, and James Van Praagh.

I think Sylvia has let fame go to her head...

Seeing them in person is so different then TV....
    Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 08/17/2006]
  17. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

No, I do not believe her. Marie
  18. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

cjcookie:

I did see her on Monteil once and I was amazed at how cold and aloof she comes across.

I was not impressed, but I can understand how many people would get caught up in her. She seems to have a big
    following. She seems to have a successful business!

I used to follow so-called prophets/psychics back about
    20 years ago. I had many frighening experiences which
    kept me in fear and worry. It was not a positive experience. Some of them did tell me things that came to pass but I still wonder what good is was knowing something that kept me in fear and worry!

For several years I tried many religions, metaphysics,
    eastern philosophy, american indian teachings, new age,
    etc, etc. But for me personally, I have returned to my
    Catholic Christian roots and am so grateful.

I do believe that we all the ability to have the gift of prophecy. I had a spirtual director a few years back and
    he was able to read souls. He was a mystic. He was a
    Priest (Roman Catholic). He passed away a few years back.
    With him I learned so much about Christianity and mysticism. He teachings brought light, faith, peace, hope and comfort to me. He walked the talk and that helped
    me to see that.

He used to say focus on the "Creator" and not the creature
    (humans). He was so right because when I start to seek
    only humans for my spiritual food & knowlege, I am usually let down. God uses them as vessels but they are not the
    source.

There are people who I know who have to ask a psychic for
    everything before they make a decision. I do not agree
    with that. I believe that we all have the answers in us and we can tap into them thru prayer, meditation and sharing with and listening to others (like we do on this board).

This board is a gift from above. I am truly grateful for all the wisdom, support and comfort that I have found here.

I hope I did not step on any toes!

Peace,
    Maribelle
  19. JaneMarieIsHere

JaneMarieIsHere New Member

She never steps out on a limb with info that can be checked. Montel needs to do follow-ups on Sylvia....like he does EVERY other guest. Even Montel would be surprised at how wrong she is.

Truly listen to her......she says nothing that can be proven. There is a woman next to you. There are three men behind you. You're son missing 16 years is dead....look near water. You'll get married.......name starts with J. Why doesn't Montel do a follow-up on these things? "Does my husband have anything he wanted to tell me?" "Um...he says he loves you....oh, and he loved what you did at the funeral." Wow...that's really taking a leap of faith Sylvia!
  20. MsE

MsE New Member

I definitely believe in psychic ability and always have. So did my dad and his mother. I've seen it work.

Whether Sylvia Browne is the real deal or not, I don't know. She has quite a good track record with various police departments, I've read and heard, but I don't know if her "hits" are better than other psychics or not.

I think all of us have some psychic ability--sort of a natural ability that we've come to ignore for some reason. Social pressure, probably.

But as I say, I know it works because I've seen it work. Sometimes I think Sylvia is the real deal and sometimes I think not.