SYMPTOMS - CFS ARTICLE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by COOKIEMONSTER, Aug 5, 2003.

1. COOKIEMONSTER

COOKIEMONSTER New Member

Symptoms

Although its name trivializes the illness as little more than mere tiredness, chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS) brings with it a constellation of debilitating symptoms.

CFIDS is characterized by incapacitating fatigue (experienced as profound exhaustion and extremely poor stamina) and problems with concentration and short-term memory. It is also accompanied by flu-like symptoms such as pain in the joints and muscles, unrefreshing sleep, tender lymph nodes, sore throat and headache. Post-exertional malaise is a hallmark of CFIDS and as the name implies, it is a period of profound fatigue that follows mental or physical activity and requires twenty-four hours (or longer) to recover.

People with CFIDS (PWCs) have symptoms that vary from person to person and fluctuate in severity. Specific symptoms may come and go, complicating treatment and the PWC's ability to cope with the illness. Most symptoms are invisible, which makes it difficult for others to understand the vast array of debilitating symptoms with which PWCs contend.

Other Common Symptoms
    Additional symptoms are frequently reported by PWC's such as word-finding difficulties, inability to comprehend/retain what is read, inability to calculate numbers and impairment of speech and/or reasoning. PWCs also have visual disturbances (blurring, sensitivity to light, eye pain, need for frequent prescription changes); psychological problems (depression, irritability, anxiety, panic attacks, personality changes, mood swings); chills and night sweats; shortness of breath; dizziness and balance problems; sensitivity to heat and/or cold; alcohol intolerance; irregular heartbeat; irritable bowel (abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, intestinal gas); low-grade fever or low body temperature; numbness, tingling and/or burning sensations in the face or extremities; dryness of the mouth and eyes (sicca syndrome); menstrual problems including PMS and endometriosis; chest pains; rashes; ringing in the ears (tinnitus); allergies and sensitivities to noise/sound, odors, chemicals and medications; weight changes without changes in diet; light-headedness; feeling in a fog; fainting; muscle twitching; and seizures.

2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

What a load of fun!!!! Aren't we the lucky ones? I was diagnosed with FMS about 5 years ago but I know I must have CFS too. The only thing I don't get is the tender lymph nodes and sore throat. I can't remember the last time I had a cold. But I have most of the other symptoms. Of course it varies, so I'll have one symptom one week, and then another symptom another week. Hopefully the detox I'm going to do will help!

Annette2
  3. COOKIEMONSTER

COOKIEMONSTER New Member

That's funny that you mention that you can't remember the last time you had cold.....well I've noticed that when I have a cold, I have no Fibro pain!

Could it be that are system is in reverse or "brain fog" mode themselves?
  4. gail3942

gail3942 New Member

I was diagnosed with CFS 3 years ago and I can sure see myself in this article. I am going to take a copy of it to my dr. Thanks for putting it here, it is really informative.
    gail
  5. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I have had all of the above at one time or another the past year. My GP still hasn't diagnosed me. She keeps hinting at FM though. I didn't have any of the tender points though. What confused her too is that I didn't have the swollen lymph glands or sore throats. I do get them infrequently now though. Especially if I overdo or get runned down or forget to take my IAG - (arabinogalactans) It is derived from larch trees (native americans used it) and my ND highly recommends it for keeping your immune system boosted when viruses, etc. attack.

Well, this is a good summary of what ails us cookiemonster. Aren't we having fun? LOL. Thanks for posting it.
    Have a better day than yesterday.
    CelticLadee
  6. Chrissy3

Chrissy3 New Member

I was diagnosed with CFS about 3 years ago and I have most of these things, apart from tender lymph nodes and sore throat. Also as someone else replied, I cant remember the last time I had a cold - it was over 18 months ago. I suppose we have to be grateful for small mercies!! lol

Chrissy
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Hi all!

I've wondered often if I don't have CF. I was diagnosed in April with firbo. I had 16 out of 18 TP's for fibro, but the fatigue is what started my quest to find out what was wrong.

After seeing 'millions' of doctors (LOL), FINALLY had a rheumy examine and dx'd with Fibro. He only diagnosis',doesn't treat,so I had to find another. New doc asked me what was worse, my pain or the fatigue. I told him it was hard to tell because I was in a very bad flare, so pain was the answer that day , but fatigue would have been the answer last October.

I don't nap often during the day, but am always wiped out. I try to live my life as close as I can to the 'old me', but find most anything exhausting. I have been dealing with brohncitis for over a week and a bladder infection for 3 weeks. I feel like death on a cracker!

So what do you think? I have a rheumy appointment in October and will talk to him. But I would also appreciate your comments!

I know fibro and CFIDS have some common symptoms. After my husband and I read the Symptoms, he said "you have just about all of these." My neck and under my chin becomes very swollen if I am sick or stressed and can stay that way for weeks at a time. Both rheumy's said they had not heard of this in regards to fibro. Well, I can inform them that most of the medical books I read say it is a part of fibro, but more common with CFDIS

Sorry for this being so long and I am so 'fogged' that I realize I wrote more after my ending paragraph!! A mind is a terrible thing to lose!!!!!!

Hope you have the best day possible..

Hugs to you all,

Kim
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

to see if someone has any input on my questions regardin CFDIS....... And the article is very good for others to read!

Thanks!

Kim
  9. CreateHope

CreateHope New Member

My pain was the most common thing over fatigue and now it is the other way around. Maybe being chronically in pain makes me tired all the time?
    My energy level has hit an all time low. Was there a test anyone took to determine the Chronic Fatigue? I think I may have that too.
    Kate
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Still hoping for more input! Thanks! Kim