Symptoms...Fellow jerks wanted

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hartogold, Jun 15, 2006.

1. hartogold

hartogold New Member

That would be me and or you. Well, I'm not a jerk at all, but my body has been doing that.

Is anyone else experiencing uncontrolled jerks periodically? It sometimes happens a lot, especially in the evening. Sometimes I jerk so hard that things are hurled out of my hand.

It could be the medications I take. Oh poop! I forgot to mention that to my doctor this morning!!

I seriously would like to know if any of you have this problem, even shaking. Thanks
    Sandy P.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2006]
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

I do not have RSL, nor at least I do not think so. It is not all the time. Just comes in spurts, anywhere in my body.
    A tic, a spasm,uncontrolled movement.I can not relate it to any meds.

Sometimes a hand will start shaking for no reason also and then stop. I have not done this for over a week or more, (the hands). But I have the involuntary movements several times a day, but not a problem really.

I also sometimes drop something, my hand will just open up and release the object.
  3. hartogold

hartogold New Member

Thanks. Sometimes it reminds me of a petite seizure, but I've worked with people who have CP. I once took care of a young man in his early 30's hurl through having a grand mal seizure. CP is horrible stuff!
    Take care,
    Sandy
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

I had such severe "jerks" called clonus by dr., that I had to be taken off all antidepressants...evry one I tried did the same to me.

They were so violent I ruptured a disc in my lower back that has given me more pain ever since.

All tricyclics and SRRIs caused them for me.

findmind
  5. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

I have the jerks too. My husband gets so frustrated with them too. If someone touches me unexpectedly I jerk more like a severe shudder. I cant stand the way it feels either.
    Been having the jerks since I was on a Welbrutrin and Lexapro at the same time 3 years ago. Got off the antidepressants completely for a year and still have the jerks. I also have panic attacks and when I have one I will jerk.
    I asked my doc if that was a seizure and he didnt seem concerned that it might be one either that or he doesnt feel it is anything he can treat other than what we are already doing.
  6. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I just replied, but it gave me an error, so I will try again. I think findmind is right, if you are on an anti-d. I think I read somewhere that because they affect serotonin levels, they also affect dopamine as they are closely related. Lower dopamine levels can cause the jerks.

I posted a good article on the neurontransmittors and will bump it up, but only if asked, because I don't want to keep bumping it up, but it is good.

Take care, Sally
  7. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Most of my jerks happen at night when I am trying to get to sleep, and occasionally when I am sitting late in the evening and just trying to relax. I jerk so hard sometimes at night that it really physically hurts me.

I get the shakes more often than the jerks. I first noticed them years ago. I can't relate it to anything in particular. I just have days that my arms and hands seem to vibrate. I thought at first that maybe it was a low blood sugar issue and that I just needed a snack, but that wasn't it either. I'm finding that I dod it more often lately.

I'm not on any antidepressants right now and I can't relate it to any of my medications.

I also have times when I feel like my entire body is rocking or swaying (hard to explain). It's a strange feeling. It feels sort of like the whole house is moving, but it's just me. I guess that makes me a groover and a shaker?? lol
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Interesting Post. I experience "body jolts" mainly as I am going off to or am sleeping. This only happens to me when I'm in an "involuntary" state. I've been taking Citalopram to help me reach a deeper sleep and it may be a contributing factor but not the cause. I had this before taking this med. although not as pronounced. (???)
  9. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I posted a similar message about this not too long ago too!! (HaHa) Great minds think alike!

I have involuntary "jerks" very often through out the day. Different body parts, just when ever they feel like jumping.

My husband told me that I jerk & jump so badly at night that I sometimes keep him awake.

I will be trying Ambien CR, my first dose, tonight at bedtime, as my muscle relaxers do not help at all.
    And I get hallucinations from them too (Zanaflex 12 mg)!

I already told my hubby to watch out for any sleepwalking!

I usually do not have a shaking problem.

10. findmind

findmind New Member

Was checking the responses to your post today, and remembered my dr. calling them myoclonus.

Maybe you could do a search about them and post info here. I don't know how to cut and paste!

Thanks,
    findmind