symptoms of men vs. women with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momkatmax, May 24, 2003.

1. momkatmax

momkatmax New Member

I read somewhere that men who have fibro have somewhat different sypmtoms than women. Any of the guys out there willing to testify to that? Are your symptoms milder or show up differently than what you have seen the women describe? My husband seems to show symptoms that overlap with mine. Fatigue, tender spots and some problems sleeping. I would say that he has fewer tender spots than me. His hands are swollen in the morning and stiff like mine, but the doc says that he seems to have arthritis in them while I do not.

Thanks
  2. billiegail

billiegail New Member

3. 1fibrowife

1fibrowife New Member

MY HUBBY HAS FIBRO NOT ME. I CAN TELL YOU THAT IF WOMEN HAVE ANYTHING ANY WORSE THAN HE DOES I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU ARE STILL ALIVE!!!!! HIS PAIN HIT HARD AND FAST. IT TOOK A WHILE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HIS DISEASE WAS. BUT THANKS TO A GREAT ARTHRITIS DOCTOR TESTING FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING HE TOLD US HE HAS FIBRO AND A REHUMATOID TYPE ARTHRITIS.
    I CAN NOT BEGIN TO DESCRIBE THE LEVEL OF DEPRESSION HE IS SUFFERING. HE WAS THE MOST HARD WORKING MAN ALIVE BEFORE HIS DD. HE WAS A CABINET BUILDER AND LOVED WHAT HE DID. HE HAD A VERY OUT GOING, FUN PERSONALITY NOW HE FEELS WORTHLESS AS HE CAN NOT DO ANY KIND OF WORK AT ALL. HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE AROUND ANYONE BUT ME. I DO SYMPATHIZE WITH ALL OF YOU I DO UNDERSTAND HOW SEVERE YOUR PAIN IS AND HOW IT AFFECTS EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR LIVES. I PRAY THAT YOU WILL ALL FIND DOCTORS LIKE HIS THAT DO KNOW HOW TO MANAGE FM WITH THE PROPER MEDS. I CAN'T BELIEVE SOME OF YOU ARE HAVING TO LIVE WITHOUT PAIN MEDS. THAT IS HORRIBLE!!!!
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I think men often times more than women feel their work is who they are. They feel so worthless when they can no longer work. If they only knew how important they are and their work has nothing to do with it.

My dad was like that when they made him retire early. He felt so worthless.

I am praying for all of you too.
  5. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago..... I have SEVERE pain, and go through bouts with flairs that make it impossible for me to work (they are getting worse, too). I am a full time female teacher, a full time mother, and the supporter of a sometimes working husband. I think it affects all of us the same...
  6. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

I have many of the same symptoms as alot of the women on this board. The only ones that differ are the gender related ones such as sexual issues.

Plus men are just tougher....hows that statement for starting a rant....LOL
  7. judywhit

judywhit New Member

and would not want the responsabilities my hubby has. He is a well hard working man. But...when he is ill or sore he is very grumpy! I think that as a whole I handle the pain better but then again I live with it 24/7. I also do not work a 10hr shift 5 days a week. I could not do this!
    I just wanted to say that as women we have these aweful hormones to deal with and that is so very difficult!
    Judy