Symptoms of Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 22, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Symptoms of Sleep Apnea

Obstructive sleep apnea may occur in men, women and children of any age but is most common in those over the age of 35. OSA is eight times more likely to occur in men, which some experts say may be attributed to underreporting in women. (I am one of those women who has obstructive sleep apnea!!!)

Common symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea include:

Excessive daytime sleepiness — OSA sufferers may often fall asleep easily during passive activities and in severe cases while at work, on the phone, or even while driving.

Loud, disruptive snoring or nocturnal pauses in breathing — Snoring usually interferes with the bed partner’s sleep.

Gasping or choking for air during sleep — Obstructive sleep apnea sufferers might appear to experience an apparent struggle to breathe.

Restless sleep — Body movements often accompany awakening at the end of an apneic episode.

Depression and irritability — OSA sufferers experience noticeable problems while performing daily activities.

Sexual dysfunction — Obstructive sleep apnea sufferers may experience a lack of sexual desire due to fatigue and even impotence in men.

Feeling of grogginess, dullness and morning headaches —
    These additional symptoms are a result of poor quality of sleep.

Source: SleepApneaInfo.com
    ------------------

Note: I was hospitalized for mild congestive heart failure -- my feet, ankles, and legs were swollen about 3 or 4 times their normal size. My cardiologist wanted me to get a sleep study done because he said sometimes sleep apnea will cause congestive heart failure. Sure enough--that is what caused mine!!!

I now sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen. The CPAP also gets rid of a lot of my fluid buildup.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2006]
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My DH has sleep apnea but couldn't stand to use the CPAP.

He had surgery (which he described as having red hot charcoal briquettes in his throat) and has done better.

We could have saved a lot of money just using my method of diagnosing it! All you have to do is ask the person who sleeps with you! I told him for years, but he still had to go to the sleep clinic.

I guess if you are single my method wouldn't work!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Thank God for my CPAP!! It is a pain to wear, but I tell myself that I have to do it in order to stay alive. I was diagnosed with extreme hypopnea/apnea and have been on CPAP since May of this year.

I lost my sister in September 2004. She was only 37. Part of the reason this happened is they suspect she may have had undiagnosed sleep apnea which may have lead to her having pulmonary hypertension.

I have claustrophobia, so trust me, it hasn't been easy to adjust to wearing it. But, not wearing it just isn't a choice for me. I wish I didn't have to wear it.

On the lighter side, my family calls me Snufflelupagus . . . not sure if I spelled that right, lol!

Hugs,
    PolarBear aka Snuffie hee hee :)
  4. JLH

JLH New Member