Syndicated columnist strikes OUT on FMS!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pearls, Jul 27, 2003.

1. pearls

pearls New Member

I didn't see a post about this so here goes:

Dr. Peter Gott was asked if Lyme and fibromyalgia are two different diseases. He said, "No," but he said that fibromyalgia is assumed to be a rheumatic disorder that causes sore and stiff muscles. Then he said that it is "commonly related to stress and is not a hazard to health." In addition, he compared Lyme and fibromyalgia to go-cart and a minivan. Guess what our DD is?! The co-cart!

-Pearl
  2. healing

healing New Member

would like to see the full interview
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

in his newspaper column, several weeks ago. I don't remember him comparing it to anything, but I remember his answer basically dismissed the patient AND the firbromyalgia.

Hmmm, wonder why so many people don't understand this DD, with all of the so called 'info' given by people who don't know what they are talking about!

I'm ticked too, Pearl!!!!!

Hugs,

Kim
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are like a gnat on the ass of mankind.

Love, Mikie
  5. pearls

pearls New Member

Several weeks ago Dr. Gott did dismiss a fibromyalgia sufferer, though I can't remember exactly how. The one to which I referred today appeared in the Fresno Bee yesterday - Friday, July 26. I think this is a different one than the one you saw, Kim. This person only asked if the two diseases were similar, and if not, what differentiates them. He or she was not identified as a sufferer.

Another thing, he mentioned the long-term antibiotic therapy for Lyme and said it required therapy. But for fibromyalgia, it needs symptoms control. Then he added that fibromyalgia is "far more benign and is treated much less agressively."

Duh, I say. It is treated far less agressively because the cause is unknown and doctors in general don't know HOW to treat it! If they knew how to treat it, it would not be treated "much less agressively!!" I guess we should be happy he didn't tell us all to pass Go, and go directly to the psychiatrist! Passing along disinformation under the title, "Doctor," is so harmful.

(I'm with Mikie.)

-Pearl