Synthroid and neck/shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pastorwife, Oct 30, 2006.

1. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I am in a LOT of pain and searching for answers. I have left a message for my dr. but figured someone on this message board may have experienced this too.

I started on Synthroid (not generic) about 1 1/2 months ago. I have been on 100mg for about a month. My TSH levels were 60 times higher than the high end of the normal range before Synthroid. Don't have the lab results back yet to know if it's changed.

But, here's the problem. Fri I started having pain when I went to bed - mostly under my shoulder blade and upper shoulder. Sometimes, I feel like it's almost gone and other times, especially laying down at night, it's extreme pain. Today it has increased to the point of shooting pain down from my lower neck (in the back) through my upper shoulder.

As with many symptoms of FMS, there's more than one thing that can cause them. I drove over 4 hours (not all at once) on Thurs just before this all started. I figured it was from the driving, but now that it's in my neck every time I swallow, I thought maybe it's thyroid and/or medication causing this.

Any insights?
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

pastorwife:

I get much neck and shoulder pain. I use my heating pad very much and take Percocet as needed.

This is just my case. If you feel it is something that might not be fibromyalgia related, I would call the doctor.

nyrofan
  3. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Im not sure on the synthroid. its the same dosage that I am on. I did see an endocrinologist last month.. She didn't change my prescription as to what my regular Dr prescribed.
    As to the pain.. Im not sure where you are from but.. perhaps its from the weather change.. Im in the Northeast in New York State.. and my neck is bothering me really bad too.. even up under the base of my skull and on top.. maybe its sinuses for me but.. I feel for you.. for I know where you are coming from with the pain.
    Sounds too.. like maybe the stress from all of the driving?
    I made a homemade microwavable rice pack and I use that alot.. Im not able to take pain meds but except for Tylenol.. so when it gets where I cant take it anymore.. I will take 2 of them..
    Are you having headaches at all with yours?
    I wish you the best and it goes away for you..
    hugs
    Deb~
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

this may be thyroid related. I have this trouble from time to time and it is because of my goiter so please call you physician.

The trouble with swallowing could very well be enlarged thyroid.

Hope you feel better soon,

Karen :)
  5. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I too live in upstate NY. This does't feel like my typical sinus or weather change, but thanks for the suggestions as these are 2 of my FMS problems.

I was figuring it was the driving as we got new tires on our Jeep and it was bouncing an awful lot. But, yesterday it was almost gone and than last night it got worse than it had been. [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2006]
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hello there .. I am on a slightly larger dose of Synthroid than you are .. and I truly doubt that it is the medication .. I have a large diffused goiter ( not too visable from the outside but large on the inside) what you would feel from that is, pressure near the area you thought would be a problem .. it is like having a clump of bread or something like that, stuck in your throat .. uncomfortable but not really painful ..

Interestingly enough that was my first complaint I had when I went to the doctor about 5 years ago, .. they found the thyroid was in a Hashimoto's state ... it all went downhill from there .. fibro, MVP .. tinnittus ..
    BUT .. I'm working on myself all the time .. trying to get the best quality of life I can .. so I'm trying not to complain .. haha

In any case .. I think it would be the driving causing the pain .. I swept our deck off yesterday and I'm in pain from that .. things you don't really think would affect you .. do !
    Try not to stress out on looking for the causes .. some of them we will never be sure of .. just try to get comfortable.
    Good Luck !
    Joy : )
  7. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I wouldn't think it would be the synthroid either. I know today mine is coming and going.. I think alot of times the barometric pressure. when it continously changes.. or is going to.. I find that I go thru this whatever it is in my neck.. its like pressure.. and aching..
    I was up to my daughters at Fort Drum when she and her husband were stationed there.. The fronts would come thru and I was in almost constant pain.
    I have been to Florida a few times and I could actually feel them coming thru.. but it was like a fleeting type of thing.. so I firmly believe that when fronts come thru .. and the barometric pressures..and then things that we do. ( sweeping.. lifting etc..) when you mix the two together.. it makes for a painful situation..
    mine has let up some.. I didn't take any tylenol yet but.. just kinda doing light stretching.. and just trying to move around some. kinda helps.. I think its worse if we sit long and or stand long.. guess we have to just kinda mix up the moving and like that..
    I hope you're feeling some better..
    Where are you in upstate NY?
    Im near Corning.. where they make the Glass.. and corelle dishes..etc. etc.
    Hugs
    Deb
  8. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Thank you all for responding. I was feeling really desperate since it hurt so much to swallow. I hadn't had that before. I did get in to see my dr. and she did acupuncture in that area. She said that I was very swollen and there were many nodules gathered in the areas of pain, especially my neck.

She only had an hour to treat me, but I'm grateful for what she did accomplish. I still have some pain in one spot when I swallow, but that really confirms that it is FMS acting up. She reassured me that it could get triggered by just about anything, especially stress (physical and emotional) that I've been through this past month. I am to call her if it doesn't get better. Right now, heat is helping and I slept most of the night... finally.

By the way, my thyroid levels are now normal, so the Synthroid is doing it's job.

I am glad I got it checked out. And you support means a lot to me.

Brandywine: I live east of Binghamton at the foot of the Catskills. Our town (and our home) got flooded in June since we're on the Delaware River and a large creek. We're just a ways downstream from the Cannonsville Resevoir too. It took until about Sept to get through the FMS flare-up from that.
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've read on the board recently quite a few posts about gallbladder problems. Two members were getting their gallbladders removed this week. Mikie and PVLady. Do a search on gallbladder and read their posts. There is good info in them. PVLady especially posted quite a bit about symptoms.

The thing that stuck with me was the symptom of pain under the shoulder blades. That's the symptom that you have that jumped out at me.

I think you should go see your regular PCP and have them check you out. Even if it's not your gallbladder, you need to find out what is wrong. Good luck.

10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Just wondering how you are doing?
  11. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I finally started feeling fairly pain free today (Sat.). It was still quite noticeable Thurs. night. It was one spot at the base of my neck after the acupuncture. I think the swelling hasn't completely gone but it is a lot better.

I haven't chanced doing dishes or anything that requires motion in my neck/shoulder, including being in a vehicle. I did have to use heat on it last night while I was watching TV, but that's a big improvement.