Synthroid or Levothyroxine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scarflady, Mar 10, 2006.

1. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Has anyone found that the generic Levothyroxine does not work as well as Synthroid? I have doing the thyroid battle for the last two years, possiblby longer......
    I had taken Synthroid for years and now taking Levothroxine. I find that I am more fatigued now than I have ever been. I tried Armour and found that it created other problems such as heart palpatations. I am wondering if anyone has found that the generic Levothroxine same dose may not work as well for them as Synthroid.....My blood test results show that I am getting enough thyroid so I am wondering if there is a difference in the medication.

I couldn't find nything related to this question in the search area.

Thank you for your help.

Scarflady
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Synthroid apparently works in just the same way as Generic Levothyroxine. In fact there was a class action lawsuit against the makers of Synthroid for hiding information which proved that the generics worked just as well.

Synthroid and Levothyroxine are basically replacing amounts of T4 in your system. For some people, not sure if this is you, T4 is the wrong thing to give and can make your symptoms worse. That's the same situation I was in. I was diagnosed with a High Reverse T3. Because of this, giving me T4 would have only made matters worse because T4 converst to T3 and Reverse T3. As a result, my doctor at the FFC give me a timed released Cytomel (T3) and it's been working very well for me.

I don't want to say that you have the same problem but it's something to educate yourself on and look into. You need to find a doctor that's willing and capable to work with you on this.

Also, you may be having other issues. Have you had your other hormone levels checked? Estrogen, Progesterone, Cortisol, Testosterone (women need it too), DHEA, IGF-1 ... what about mineral levels and infections?

Scarflady - do you like scarfs? My wife loves them and I'm always on the look out ...do know where I can find some good ones?

[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2006]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My druggist tells me that the generic they use is actually better absorbed into the system than Synthroid. It gave me a jittery buzz. I'll stick to my Synthroid.

Love, Mikie
  4. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Thanks Mikie! I feel exhausted on Levitgrixine...Haven't tried Synthroid for a long time. I feel stupid i didn't know ther could be a difference as far as reaction....

Scarflady
  5. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Thank you Spiritsky!
    I copied your email to take to my doctor. Cytomel may be the answer for me. I like the idea that it is timed released so there is no jolt to your system. I will also ask about the other levels you mentioned. I do have a terrible immune system and must be very careful and avoid crowds.
    You also mentioned the FFC, evidently you has sucess with your FFC treatment.
    Spiritsky are you a pilot?
    You asked about scarves.....ck the internet for scarvesmargaret and you will see scarves....

Scarflady
  6. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

I am on thyroid medicine due to having had thyroid cancer. They originally started me with Synthroid and told me to not take the generic.

About 6 - 7 years I was switched to Levothroid. Once again, I was told never to take the generic.

You might want to talk to your doctor to see if Levothroid would be right for you instead of the generic Levothroxine.

Auntyem
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been taking .50 mg. of Cytomel for years and was on it when I was 9 years old. In 1980, my new family doc took me off that and put me on Synthroid. Some time around 2000, or so I asked to be put back on Cytomel and have been on it ever since.

Now, I have my endocrinologist treat my hypothyrodism as my family doc was keeping me too underactive at 5.5 TSH. I felt tired all the time, etc.

I'm 56 years old now. So you can tell I started to take pills at a very early age.

I went from the Synthroid because I thought maybe the Cytomel would help my FMS. It really hasn't...

Hugs,
    Faye