Synthroid vs T3 compounded need input

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by namow, Mar 23, 2007.

1. namow

namow New Member

I have been going to FFC for about a year and I have been taking the T3 from a compound pharmacy for a while but I just can't afford going there any more and I really haven't seen a lot of results besides losing weight.

I just started seeing an endocrinologist and he put me on synthroid. I am afraid of putting the weight back, has anyone had any experience with those two medications?

Also any other side effects I should be aware of???
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

I've been taking slow-release T3 for years and years. I'm currently at 165 mcg.

In the past, when I've taken any product with T4 (Armour or Synthroid), I've immediately gotten thyroid excess symptoms. I don't understand that phenomenon, but it was consistent.

(All of my thyroid measures except the autoimmune ones used to be normal.)

The last time I had my thyroid tested, the T3 (presumably partially as a result of the supplementation) was right in the mid range.

However, my TSH and T4 levels were both low.

I'm wondering if I would now get any benefit from preparations with T4, apart from those that I get from T3.

As for namow's question.....if my experience is any indication, it's possible that you could get excess symptoms right away. For me, those included diarrhea, rapid heartbeat and feverish feelings.

The switch could be fine, but watch out anyway.

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 03/23/2007]
  3. bree~leigh

bree~leigh New Member

Namow,
    Although not for everyone, Armour Thyroid did the trick for me and has for years.
    Synthroid alone was not sufficient since it does not have t3 and 4.

Mary Shomen has a good website on thryoid issues that discuss opions. Her advice helped me immensely in getting on the road to thyroid balance.

Many Endochronologists do not consider Armour or are plain against it, but there are many patients that have been helped tremendously with this Rx.

Hope this helps and good luck.
  4. namow

namow New Member

bree~leigh, I already tried armour thyroid before going to FFC and I din't have a very good experience I got Hyperthyroid and it was an awful feeling.

Now I am concerned about the switch to Synthroid from T3 alone.

Thank you for your answers both of you. It is helpful to read different points of view in the subject.
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

entitled glutathione/HPA axis/adrenal problems.

Rich Van K suggests that the hormonal imbalances seen in CFS may stem from a lack of glutathione in the hypothalmus.

I've no idea if it would work for you, but maybe that approach is worth a shot.

I hate the thought of messing with my hormones.. tried synthyroid for about a week. Felt awful. Never agian.
  6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi namow,

I copying this from my post on the "... horrific experience with a medication" poll.

Synthroid - A single dose
    Felt like I had drunk about 20 cups of coffee, but worse
    Started immediately, lasted approx. a week
    Substituted with Armour Thyroid which worked well
    Was not taking any other drugs at the time

Wayne
  7. grace54

grace54 New Member

Please post any info you have on thyroid issues.

The FFC's order a compounded t-3 because in part it is a slow release formula.

I am currently on 125mcg's of slow release t-3. I have tried them all and can not maintain normal numbers for any length of time. I have never really felt any reactions from any of them, though I went back down to my average weight. All of them worked to a certain degree.

I just had my labs done after 10 months on the t-3 but the small clinic where I did the blood letting were confused on what my Dr ordered as far as t-3 and t-4 totals and free levels so they didn't get them and am still in the dark.

I also have auto-immune hashimottos so that complicates many things. So as far as switching thyroid meds one can see how unique we are.Synthroid is the most dispensed thyroid med and my Endo wanted me to go back on it from Armour, he didn't like Armour. I suspect very few Dr's will experiment like the FFC's.I am starting to believe some of us are resistent to thyroid meds as many have improved with the t-3's.
  8. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've used a synthetic thyroid made by the same company as Armour (Forest Pharmaceuticals) called Thyrolar. It would be comparable to Synthroid + Cytomel. I get no results from T4 alone, but have done well on this preparation.

Most doctors mistakenly believe that dessicated thyroid like Armour is not standardized which is nonsense. If they're licensed to produce it as a pharmaceutical they are continually checking for potency.

Jan