Synvisc injections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granny1353, Aug 6, 2005.

1. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

has anyone ever had Synvisc injections in their knee. I went to the dr today and said I was not ready to have a knee replacement surgery and he suggested these injections, they are like lubicatant to your joints.

I also asked about the neurotin if caused weight gain and he said no, was very gentle and said I was doing that on my own, we both sort of agreed! He is such a honey of a guy and dr.

Interested in your comments
    Granny
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2005]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

but bumping for someone who might know.

Rosie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have OA in my knees and they had gotten very painful and were popping and crunching. The joints were stiff. It took forever to get the preapproval from my insurance company and in the meantime, the knees got worse, especially the left knee.

The three injections for each knee were given a week apart and after the first one, I could feel some relief. It's been months and the injections seem to continue to provide relief. My knees seem to get better as time goes on. I wasn't expecting this. My knees still catch but it isn't as often and it isn't painful.

When I do work out, I do it in the pool to take the strain off the knees.

I know that people each have individual levels of success with these injections, but I believe they are well worth trying. They are very expensive so if you have insurance which covers them, it's a good incentive to having it done. My total out-of-pocket for all six injections and office visits was about $400. That was the office visit co-pays the part of the cost of the Synvisc not covered by my plan. Since I pay no premium for my Medicare HMO, I can't complain.

My doc said that these injections, which can be repeated down the road, stop the continuing damage from the OA and can put off knee replacement indefinitely.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you change the title of your post to include Synvisc Injections, you will likely get more responses. I know that one or two others here have had it done.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On how severe the damage is when the injections are done. I wish my knees had not deteriorated while waiting for the OK from the ins. co. I feel they would have been even more effective had I been able to get them right away. The injections are temporary relief, but some have had them done again and they have been effective for quite a while. If one is only moderately affected by the OA and if the injections last quite a while, one can probably put off knee replacement indefinitely.

Most of us probably don't get the injections until we have more damage and are in quite a bit of pain and restriced in mobility. Because I can work out in the pool without stress on the knees, I would prefer to rely on the injections until I absolutely have to get my knees done. They are making great progress in the prosthetics and minimalizing the surgery all the time. The longer one can wait, the better the chances for better knee replacement surgery.

I hope your husband has a fast recovery. I have heard it can be very painful. Best of luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

7. Scarlett2

Scarlett2 New Member

I had synvisc injections about 3 months ago. My knees were very bad. No cartilage at all. They were not pleasant injections, but I got through it. For the first 3 or 4 weeks, I didn't think there was any improvement, but over time it did seem a bit better. I'm still doing ok now but I'm noticing that things are beginning to hurt a little bit again. I have no illusion that this will eliminate my need for knee replacement at all, but I'm hoping that it will postpone it. We'll see what happens when I go back in the fall for my second set of shots.

Namaste,
    Scarlett
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Will not cover the injections if there is no cartlidge left. The injections work the best when there is only moderate damage. I'm glad the injections are helping you.

Let us know how you continue to do.

Love, Mikie
  9. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Granny!

I had Synvisc injections in my left knee before going on a three-week plane & train trip (two months ago) and believe that this journey would have been a lot more difficult without them. During the past few weeks, I've also had Synvisc shots in my right knee but, so far, haven't noticed a great deal of improvement.

Luckily, my insurance & Medicare covered most of the expense or I'd never have been able to afford these injections.

My rheumatologist says (based on recent knee X-rays)that there will be a knee replacement (or two) in my future, so she wants me to use this post-Synvisc "less-pain" time to exercise and lose weight before having to undergo surgery.

If you are offered the opportunity to have Synvisc injections (and have medical coverage that will absorb most of the expense)I'd encourage you to go for it.

Janice
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Greatly reduces the stress on the knee joints. Also, going on a diet which reduces inflammation helps as does taking anti-oxidants.

Every little thing helps.

Love, Mikie
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

but has anyone tried glucosamine and/or chondroiton, and if so, w/ what kind of success?

As someone mentioned, every bit helps, and I have to put another plug for enzymes for pain and inflammation relief. They have had some of the biggest success rates w/ arthitis relief in many studies, as well as in postoperative relief and speeding of healing.

I was just talking to a girlfriend and recommending them, because she hurt her back and pulled something and her doctor perscribed NSAIDS wereen't doing much for her. So I told how they worked better than NSAIDS and ASA for me w/out the GI risks, but rather GI benefits. She told me about how much success her own Grandma had w/ enzymes and arthritis relief.

Jeanne
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe the G&C works well for the OA but the Synvisc is local and helps immediately. The G&C works over the long haul. Both are excellent. I use enzymes with food for help with digestion but have not heard of them in relation to inflammation.

Love, Mikie
  13. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

everyone for your replies, going on Thurs for injections

Granny
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Proteolytic Enzymes and Inflammation
    Lane Lenard, PhD, Ward Dean, MD and Jim English

Enzymes are the unsung heroes of the body–without them life would be impossible. It has been estimated that the human body contains at least 50,000 different enzymes that orchestrate the countless biochemical reactions that control all life functions.

Enzymes also play an essential role in inflammation and other functions of the immune system. Inflammation is one of the bodys most important mechanisms for protecting itself against danger. If youve ever had an insect bite, a sprained ankle, a sore throat, or a bad sunburn, you know what inflammation is. Inflammation is the bodys way of imposing a measured, temporary discomfort in the interest of long-term health. The five cardinal symptoms of inflammation are:

1. Redness

2. Heat

3. Swelling

4. Pain

5. Restriction of Movement

These signs indicate that the body is bringing in more blood and immune resources, like white blood cells and macrophages, to remove microorganisms and other foreign matter. Redness is a sign that vasodilation is allowing more blood and other fluids to reach the affected area; local heat reflects the increased flow of warm blood from deep within the body; swelling (edema) is caused by the local accumulation of fluids; pain and restricted mobility arise from the added pressure due to the swelling.

Essential Regulators of Inflammatory Response
    Proteolytic enzymes, such as bromelain, papain, pancreatin, trypsin, chymotrypsin, and rutin, are essential regulators and modulators of the inflammatory response. Among their important actions is a seven- to ten-fold increase in the appetite of macrophages and in the potency of natural killer (NK) cells. Proteolytic (protein-destroying) enzymes also degrade pathogenic complexes that can inhibit normal immune function. These immune complexes, which consist of an antigen bound to an antibody, are a normal part of the immune response. But when immune complexes occur in excess, they are a principal cause of certain kidney diseases, nerve inflammations, and a number of rheumatologic diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis. Evidence suggests that trypsin, papain, and other proteolytic enzymes can break up existing pathogenic immune complexes and even prevent their formation in the first place, enhancing lymphatic drainage. The bottom line of these actions is a regulatory or stimulatory effect on the immune system.

Proteolytic enzymes modulate the inflammatory process by a variety of mechanisms, including reducing the swelling of mucous membranes, decreasing capillary permeability, and dissolving blood clot-forming fibrin deposits and microthrombi.

By reducing the viscosity (thickness) of the blood, enzymes improve circulation. This consequently increases the supply of oxygen and nutrients to and the transport of harmful waste products away from traumatized tissue. Proteolytic enzymes also help break down plasma proteins and cellular debris at the site of an injury into smaller fragments. This greatly facilitates their passage through the lymphatic system, resulting in more rapid resolution of swelling, with the consequent relief of pain and discomfort.

Proteolytic Enzymes versus Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
    Italian researchers have shown that the ability of proteolytic enzymes to reduce inflammation is equal to or superior to four powerful steroidal and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Phenylbutazone, Hydrocortisone, Indomethacin, and Acetylsalicylic Acid.

Although individual proteolytic enzymes are useful, the extraordinary combination of these enzymes yields a combination greater than its sum. Systemic multi-enzyme therapy has proved helpful in cases of arthritis and related diseases, offering a wide range of benefits relative to anti-inflammatory, vasculoprotective, and immuno-modulatory effects.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is good info. I knew about the blood-thinning but not about the inflammation. I cannot take enzymes on an empty stomach, so I had to use the Heparin instead for getting rid of excess fibrin.

Thanks again for posting this.

Love, Mikie