systemic enzymes/therapies that help me (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by debshomeed, Aug 19, 2009.

1. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

I have had CFS/ME for well over 3 years now and suffered a major relapse in October 2009. Up until Feb this year I was not improving much (still housebound) and was losing masses of hair (very scary) so I totally revamped my entire system.

Here are some details of what I believe is helping me in getting to a reasonable functioning level:

systemic enzymes (*Zymitol 4 times 4 capsules a day on empty stomach- I worked up to this very slowly due to detoxification effects)
    digestive enzymes (*Devacor- 2 capsules with each meal)
    probiotics (fermented lactobacillus drink- *Rochway pomegranate/pawpaw 30ml)
    fermented cod liver oil (*Blue Ice- 4 tsps in divided doses gives both Vit A and vit D)
    coenzyme Q10 (*150mg)
    selenium(*150mcg)
    MSM (*1 tsp twice daily)
    barley grass (*1 tsp twice daily with fresh cold pressed vegie juice)
    zinc (*30mg)
    fish oil (*2x1000mg capsules 3 times daily)
    magnesium chelate (*200mg or more as needed for muscle cramps)
    vitamin C complex (*1000mg 4 times daily)
    vitamin E (*500mg 3 times daily)
    Cabot Health LivaTone Plus (liver support complex includes St Mary's Thistle- *2 capsules twice daily)

My naturopath has also put me on infoceutical drops based on the Nutri-Energetics System.
    She identified parasites and pollutants in my body.
    I have undergone a parasite cleanse using vitaklenz plus the "zapper".

I also see an osteopath for neck and shoulder problems.

I have been adhering to a gluten free/dairy free low carb diet for 7 months now and this was one of the first things I changed, followed by the addition of systemic enzymes. I have been taking digestive enzymes and probiotics for a year now but have changed brands in an effort to get something that worked for my weakened gastrointestinal system.

It has been a rather slow process (6 months) with some plateauing and dips and a lot of detoxification symptoms to deal with.

I have noticed that I have an improvement in:
    stamina
    energy
    sleep
    clearer skin
    hair loss has stopped
    clarity of thoughts

I still have some way to go but have come a long way already from my previous housebound existence.

Snez

* means I have updated to include dosages and other details.
    I'm still doing remarkably well- I believe that I am now up to 85% functional most days.

<br><br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/19/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2009]
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I use serrapeptase when I'm in a flare (less freq. these days). It's one of the few things I tolerate orally that helps to reduce my pain.

Most days I take digestive enzymes w/my main meal, and usually feel better gut-wise as a result.

May I ask what sort of systemic enzymes you use?
  3. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

rainbow11- I'm hopeful that this healing plan will endure and make some long term difference.

SnooZQ- I take Zymitol (Generation Plus) but have also taken Vitalzym. I take quite a lot of capsules and built up to this very very slowly as I had a lot of herxing. It definitely is doing something positive in my body. I had a suspicious lump on my arm which was growing and had been there for a long time. It started shrinking when I started the systemic enzymes and now there is no lump at all. I was impressed!

jam- My vit D levels are good (middle range) but I take fermented cod liver oil which has a good amount of vit D.
    I hope that you can get to the bottom of your joint problems.

Snez
  4. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Hi, Thanks for sharing what's helped you! :) It's great that you've seen an improvement.
    Could you tell me the difference between these two: systemic enzymes
    digestive enzymes?
    I have digestive enzymes which I've been taking with meals but I've never heard of systemic enzymes...
    Could you tell us more about the other supplements you've taken...brands, dosages,when etc?
    Could you say which ones you think have helped most? I was esp interested in the liver one you mentioned...
    Thanks so much,
    Shelbo
  5. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

The systemic enzymes are meant to be taken on an empty stomach to help digest unwanted matter in the body. The brand I take is Zymitol which has MSM, fluvic acid, magnesium citrate, rutin, protease blend, bromelain, papain, amylase, lipase and serrapeptase.

Digestive enzymes have many of the same plant based enzymes except for the serrapeptase. Once the digestive enzymes are used up in the process of digesting a meal they no longer can be used by the body to help it heal. Theoretically you could take digestive enzymes between meals as the bromelain and papain are also meant help to digest foreign matter in your body and decrease the inflammatory response. However, you will need quite a lot of them (and they tend to be more expensive per capsule I've found). In any case, I do believe that it is the Serrapeptase that makes the difference.

I'll update my supplements so that it shows brands and dosages.

I've cut and pasted the following information (or you can google see what you think)-

Serrapeptase - A 2nd Gift from Silkworms (from http://www.serrapeptase.info/)

The natural Chelation-Anti-Inflammatory Serrapeptase has had wide clinical use - spanning over twenty-five years throughout Europe and Asia - as a viable alternative to salicylates, ibuprofen and the more potent NSAIDs. Unlike these drugs, Serrapeptase is a naturally occurring, physiological agent with no inhibitory effects on prostaglandins and is devoid of gastrointestinal side effects. See Studies and Technical Information.

Serrapeptase is a proteolytic enzyme isolated from the micro-organism Serratia E15. This enzyme is naturally processed commercially today through fermentation and was discovered in the silkworm intestine. This immunologically active enzyme is completely bound to the alpha 2 macroglobulin in biological fluids. Histological studies reveal powerful anti-inflammatory effects of this naturally occurring enzyme.

Serrapeptase digests non-living tissue, blood clots, cysts, and arterial plaque and inflammation in all forms. The late German physician, Dr. Hans Nieper, used Serrapeptase to treat arterial blockage in his coronary patients. Serrapeptase protects against stroke and is reportedly more effective and quicker than EDTA Chelation treatments in removing arterial plaque. He also reports that Serrapeptase dissolves blood clots and causes varicose veins to shrink or diminish. Dr. Nieper told of a woman scheduled for hand amputation and a man scheduled for bypass surgery who both recovered quickly without surgery after treatment with Serrapeptase.

Hope all this helps.

Snez

6. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

I am so glad that Zymitol has helped you and that you've managed to find something to help with the arthritis as well.

I too buy the 630 capsule bottle. I take an awful lot of it at the moment 4 capsules 4 times a day (yep 16!!). I'm actually a bit scared to reduce the dosage in case I go backwards. My naturopath says that this is ok while I'm heavily detoxing and perhaps later on I can reduce it slowly.

Yes I found it did help with pain in the beginning, but I was getting upper back and neck and arm pain again. But once I went to the osteopath and increased my fish oil intake it all seems to have settled down again.

Snez
  7. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you so much for all the amazing info you took the time to post! :)

I will look up Zymitol...you've really piqued my interest in the silk worm supplement. I will go and look it up on the link you sent me - thanks so much...
    If you get a chance would you mind telling me what brand and dose of the silk worm stuff you use? Thanks again! I really appreciate all the detail you went into for me...
    Shelbo :)
  8. street129

street129 New Member

debshomeed........
    did a dr. put you on those things that you're taking. i ordered the zymitol, my digestive system in out of order. hope this works for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2009]
  9. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

With the Zymitol make sure you start really slowly in case you the detox too hard. I started with only one capsule a day, then I worked up to 1 capsule 3 times a day- held at that level to make sure my body wasn't having too hard a time. It took me a good 3 months to work up to 4 capsules 4 times a day which I feel is a good level for me. You may need a lot less than this-it is good to listen to your body in this.

Another thing, make sure you drink plenty of water with the Zymitol as it can sometimes irritate the empty stomach (I used to get a burning sensation but not anymore). I hope you get some good results from it.

I researched systemic enzymes and most other supplements myself. I started with the digestive enzymes, then added the systemic enzymes and then added the other supplements slowly and one by one- about one every 2 or 3 week. I needed to make sure that I wasn't going to react to any one supplement and to give each one some space to evaluate each one as it went into my system.

My naturopath has said that what I'm taking is fine and that is a relief to know.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Snez