T3 drug proves to be instrumental in treating Fibromyalgia and CF

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by PMiller, Jan 22, 2003.

1. PMiller

PMiller New Member

It has taken me several years to find help for my Fibromyalgia treatment/ The most informative resourcefull book I have come accross so far is "The Thyroid Solution" by Ridha Arem M.D. associate Professor of Medicine in the division of Endocrinology and Metabolism at Ben Taub General Hospital/ a major teaching hospital affiliated with Balor College of Medicine. Page 290 tells of several studies that have reported people suffering from Fibromyalgia who have "normal " thyroids can improve or even be cured when they are treated with 75 to 150 micrograms of T3 in conjunction with taking nutritional suppliments, eating a wholesome diet and exercise program.
    In one report, 75 percent of patients improved when following the treatment program and 40 percent were cured.
    I have found in my experience that many Physicians are hesitant to give patients T3. I can't help but wonder if the reason is, there is not a lot of excitement about this drug in treating Fibromyalgia and CFs because of the studies being funded by big drug companies. T3 is an old drug and inexpensive.
    This is certainly worth looking into. I suffered for years with Hypothyroid and finally found a Dr. that ordered a Thyroid panel, which gives a more complete picture. Even after being treated with T4 only and haveing a normal TSH I still had interupted sleep, painfully sore muscles, fatigue, sluggish metabolism, "brain fog" and last but not least.... fluctuateing TSH levels. Adding T3 has been shown to correct these symptoms. Dr. Arem has formulated small divided doses to be given 2 to 3 times a day to prevent surges of T3 and keep levels stable. A normal T3 reading does not show that enough T3 is being converted at the cellular level. T3 is a powerful antidepressant. It has been shown to help people suffering from depression who have brain deficits of T3 not completely corrected by Prozac and other SSRI's
    I hope to see more in the future on these studies. So many poeple suffer needlessly due to lack of information on new treatments.
  2. willowisp

willowisp New Member

I read your message (and the messages of others) with interest, but being new to this site and unfamiliar with many medications, I find I am in the dark as to what some terms might mean. Can you tell me what is T3, T4, and SSRI's?
  3. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I don't know a lot but I'll share the info I know until someones else, more knowledgeable can add. T4 is the hormone that most physicians prescribe. It is what is in synthroid, levoxyl etc. Our bodies use T3 which is another thyroid hormone. T4 is changed into T3 (I think) but some of our bodies can not do that so we need T3 supplements as well. There are 2 different ways to do that. You can use a T3 and a T4 supplement separately which are synthetic, or you can use a drug called Armour which is a combined hormone and is real thyroid hormone. SSRI's are a class of anti-depressants like Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft etc. Hope this might help a little. Lendi
  4. beckster

beckster New Member

I hadn't heard of these exact specifics or this book.
    Will check it out.