T3 supplementation for muscle pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HurtsToMove, Feb 24, 2007.

1. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

"T3 helped your pain! That's very interesting, since I've never heard of this hormone having this sort of effect before.

I wonder if anyone else here has been helped by T3 in this way. I don't think it's very well known, if so.

This might be an interesting thing to post on the board in a separate thread. Perhaps it would help others here.

Best, Lisa"

I am VERY interested in trying this so I thought I'd start a new post as Lisa suggested. I went thru all my labs and couldn't see where my T3 levels were ever checked. T4, cortisol, etc. all within normal range.

I plan on going to the endocrinologist and seeing whether she'd be willing start me on T3, regardless of lab work. I really suspect I could be T3 resistant. In fact, I hope so...at least then I may find relief from pain with the T3. It may be a long shot but I don't see any harm in a short-term challenge test.

I have noticed that the FFC's use this treatment alot, so maybe we'll get some feedback from their patients. Any and all info greatly appreciated!
  2. ask2266

ask2266 Member

If you look at some of the symptoms for people who are hypo-thyroid, one of the lesser known symptoms is muscle pain.

My pain and stiffness were terrible. I mean... disabling awful. My T4 and TSH were completely normal. My T3 was low normal at 235 (range 230-430). My gp said that my thyroid was normal and wouldn't give me any thyroid supplement.

My FFC doctor said that he would treat my symptoms-- and that muscle pain means inadequate T3. So, I slowly worked my way up to 75mcg pure T3 now and my muscle pain is gone--completely. It was miraculous!! I haven't had any hyperthyroid symptoms, such as palpitations, appetite, change in sleep, sweating etc.

Now my T3 reading is 600-- way above normal. But when we tried to lower my T3 dose, the muscle pains came back terribly. My doctor says even though I have high serum T3, I must have thryroid resistance, so I'm not able to use it all.

I use pure T3. Synthyroid only has T4, and Armour thyroid has T4 and T3. You really just need the pure T3 because my T4 wasn't converting to the T3 that I needed.

But I have CFIDS, not Fibro, so I don't know if it would work for fibro patients.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  3. maggierose

maggierose New Member

To all,I have low thyroid and fibro. I was on synthroid for low thyroid,I never felt good always in pain I went on just T3 for my thyroid my pain got so much better. I really beleive T3 helped my pain and how I feel soo much better.

Hope this helps
    Maggierose
  4. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

maggie and ask for your responses. I've made an appt. with my endocrinologist to see if she'll try me on T3. I suspect she will be very hesistant or may even refuse since it's controversial. I'll beg and plead if necessary...I'm the one taking the risk and I feel it's worth a shot so hopefully I can convince her. Keeping my fingers crossed!
  5. ask2266

ask2266 Member

I just added to my post
  6. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

Last bump, hoping for more responses....
  7. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

i always say this first.. i do not have cf/fm but have adrenal problems and autoimmune issues due to being over-prescribed prednisone (which i thought was an allergy pill) 2 years ago.

however, that being said i share a lot of your woes: fatigue, weakness, my body not detoxing well on it's own, getting worn out easily from the smallest of things, etc..

anyway - in my course of trying everything andanything i tried a brief stint with synthroid thinking that my weakness and hypoglycemia could be my thyroid.... synthroid did nothing and my legs felt like lead. but now 8 mos later i have a new dr. (see the thread from lisa p. with my user name and cherylsue as the subject) - my new dr. has me on naturethroid (hypo-allergenic porcine T4/T3 that is identical to armour but with out the cornstarch binder).

my point is that i used to be a very seriuos athlete until the prednisone incidenct - i was a big time runner and cannot run since going on and off that medicine. but since starting the naturethroid i was able to walk on the treadmill and do some very mild weights. prior to this my legs would not tolerate any sort of activity. now i realize that my adrenals are very fatigued and i am doing lots of other things (high doses vit c, phosytydlcholine, and MANY other things). I do not and will not take cortef or isocort and anything like that (lots of people do i know and there is a place for these, but they are not for me... too close to a natural steroid for me and i will not go there).

i think that the porcine t3/t4 has been my biggest advocate along with my new supplemnets. i have always eaten organic so my diet has always been good, but i don't think i absorb food like i used to.. i think the t3 is really helping me. i also think the t3/t4 combo allows me to add new supplements in my regime b/c prior to this i could only tolerate my coq10 and omega 3.

hope this adds to this thread. hope you don't mind the "sidetracked' info.

hope you all are well.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2007]
  8. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

i know! why is it never the endo/GP that is willing to give the right thyroid. my friend's neurologist is the one who gave her the script for her thyroid b/c her endo would not!

i hope the opth writes you as script for the t3 you asked for. i really like the naturethroid. i am very chemically sensitive and i am good on this. i have tried armour and did not like it - i had really bad heartburn on it and headaches... i think it was the cornstarch (corn can produce a lot of free glutamic acid when heated and give you an MSG reaction). my new dr. didn't even suggest armour, she started me on the naturethroid on the first round. i had never heard of it... i had only heard of armour and thought all the other porcine thyroid was of "lesser quality".. boy was i wrong.

i think T3 is necessary for any proper balancing of the endocrine system. i am not saying it is a cure but it is a good building block and can really help and give relief in many areas and also open new windows to add other things that may have not been able to be tolerated before. lots of hypothyroid sufferers have multiple chem sensitivities. i feel if an endo had looked at my labs they would have felt i was borderline (not all endos are like this i know.. there are lots that are progressive and treat symptoms as opposed to labs... but they are hard to find), but i am getting some relief form the naturethroid i know it.
  9. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

I just had my T3 tested. It's 307, within normal range. My endocrinologist will NOT give me T3, so I'm wondering if raw glandulars or something OTC would work as well. I'd like to try my OWN challenge test.

Any info, or do I have to suck it up and go to the FFC for this treatment?
  10. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Another interesting thread. I have adrenal exhaustion and am taking Isocort for a month now, with no change at all. I have tried Synthroid, T4/T3, and Cytomel(T3), all of which caused heart palpitations. I now have a slow release T3, but am afraid to take it... Pocahontas, you said you were afraid of Isocort because of the hormones, but there aren't any hormones in it, as far as I know. I just started on a T-100 which is a thyroid glandular supplement yesterday, no hormones, so too soon to tell.

Maybe you will get some feedback from others who aren't afraid of just about everything thyroid! I just feel so damn sick, am upright for about 4 hours per day, and don't do well at that. Get this debilitating, screaming, aching pain and can barely think. Marie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  11. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Where did you get naturethyroid? Marie
  12. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Another interesting thread. I have adrenal exhaustion and am taking Isocort for a month now, with no change at all. I have tried Synthroid, T4/T3, and Cytomel(T3), all of which caused heart palpitations. I now have a slow release T3, but am afraid to take it... Pocahontas, you said you were afraid of Isocort because of the hormones, but there aren't any hormones in it, as far as I know. I just started on a T-100 which is a thyroid glandular supplement yesterday, no hormones, so too soon to tell. Hurtstomove

Yes, I had tried T3 (synthetic cytomel) - it was added to my Synthroid. I immediately felt like I was taking speed. My heart would race and pound hard. I also had an irregular heart beat. Was horrible. And, it made me very cold. My feet and hands. He did blood tests and it showed my TSH was mildly suppressed. He didn't like this and said we should really stop it. I did. He said that T3 hits harder than T4 (synthroid) and they have to be very careful with it. Some patients it can aggravate existing heart disease. Also, it can cause loss of calcium from the bones.
    So it is really important to titrate the dose and get good lab values with it. It can work for some but very important that doctor monitors your labs carefully as well as checking your pulse, heart beat and blood pressure. And those with existing heart disease need to be very careful using it and follow doctors directions to the T. No pun intended. Regards, Stefanie