T3 Therapy for hypothyroid problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littleleafhopper, Aug 16, 2006.

1. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Does anyone know anything about T3 only therapy for hypothyroidism? One of my docs mentioned using it. I would like to know more? Is anyone taking T3 only? If so how do you feel?
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've been on T3 therapy since early this year. I ramped up and am now on 75 mg? mcg? Whatever the units are...

Depending upon my next test results, I may be going up.

In the first two months I was on it, I lost 25 lbs. I have not had any (bad) reaction to it.
  3. kimsuf

kimsuf New Member

Looking to get an understanding to this. Have Fibro and so tired of this weight. Have the hardest time in the world lossing weight. What is T3 and hypothyroid.
  4. sleepwalk

sleepwalk New Member

I have underactive thyroid. My doctor started me on T4 (synthroid), but after some research, I asked about T3 and he gave me cytomel as well. It seemed to help.

Someone mentioned armor, the alternative supplement which I believe is dessicated animal thyroid? containing both T3 and T4. As I understand it, T3 is the more active version of the chemical. Cytomel has a much shorter half-life, though, and spikes and falls during the day. Most people can convert T4 into T3 as they need it, and regulate it much better, which is why T4 is generally prescribed by itself. I'm no doctor, but, like I said, that's what my research turned up.

I found Australia's thyroid society's web page really helpful when I looked at it a few years ago.[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2006]