T4/T3

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by finfree, Apr 15, 2007.

1. finfree

finfree New Member

I get treated at FFC. My thyroid med says T4/T3 Thyroid (W) 2.5GR vegcaps. It's compounded from ITC.

How would I know if this is a low, moderate, or high level? I believe the GR stands for grains.
  2. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I started on 1/4 grain at FFC and am working up. From stopthethyroidmadness.com, I think 2 grains is a minimum maintenance dose, but the question is really how much do you need? Are your free t3/t4 tests coming up in the upper part of the 'normal' range?
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

That's a moderate level. Someone with their thyroid gland removed would usually take about 4 grains.

It's important at your dosage level to monitor TSH levels and watch for thyroid suppression which can lead to osteoporosis. If you haven't gotten a DEXA scan for a baseline on bone density, this would be a good time.

Jan
  4. finfree

finfree New Member

Clay2, thanks for the stopthethyroidmadness website, what an awesome site. My reverse T3/T4 is good. Thanks for all replies.
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

As we discussed in our emails, my problem with FFC was that in the 10 months that I was there the dr never once rechecked my T3 levels dispite the fact that I was experiencing overdose symptoms. She just sold me another $60 supplement and kept increasing my dose based on temperature alone.

My new dr discovered that my levels were 250points above the high end of the range and cut my dose in half. Now he continues to monitor and my levels are good. I am so much more comfortable now. I had been waking up in the night with heart pounding and palpatations. I was so warm I couldn't wear any of my sweaters this winter. And I was so skinny I couldn't gain weight no matter how much I ate. So insist that she monitor your levels and keep an eye on your symptoms. I just didn't know any better!

Hugs,
    Dar
  6. finfree

finfree New Member

learning from prior experiences b/c FFC has rechecked my hormones once so far (and any other area I was low in), to include the T3. She has never made mention to any temperature reading.

And I can't gain weight either, are you telling me that's due to thyroid or the compounded T4/T3 I'm on? I hear most women gain weight with a thyroid issue.

-k