Tailbone area pain going into legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tandy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys!!
    Hope your having a better day than I!!

I have been having tailbone pain for awhile(off and on)
    This time its worse or more intense and unlike before,...the pains running down into the backs of both legs~ Anyone ever get this one??
    This DD is mind boggling! things start hurting and I'm like "Now what!?"

To lay it aches like hell,...and worse walking around or doing things~
    Anyone? any suggestions?
    BTW: ultrams are'nt touchin this pain.
    Take care
    Tandy
  2. Meekah

Meekah New Member

Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about!! I have had pain in my tailbone area since the birth of my first child, 9 and a half yrs. ago. In the last year it has gotten worse and it travels in my legs. My doc. finally sent me for a CT scan and they saw that I actually had a fracture. He sent me to a neurologist and he said that it has caused nerve damage and that's why the pain runs in my legs.He said that this fracture will not heal because where the fracture is located there is not enough blood flow to heal it. He gave me exercises to do, which hurt like H*#&!!! He also said that surgery highlylikely in the not so far future. The only ting that helps me is pillows, pillows, pillows when I sleep. My husband hardly has any room because of all the pillows!! LOL. I try to arrange them in between my knees and under my arm around my chet area and I sleep on my side and have to switch from side to side very often, otherwise my hips get really sore. I'm not being much help, I now, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.
    Hugs
    Meekah
  3. Carollie

Carollie New Member

Sounds like coccydynia, as well as possible piriformous syndrome w/ sciatica.

I have all the above and I know exactly where you are coming from. I suggest one of those horse-shoe shaped pillows for sitting. It will relive pressure on the tailbone area.

I had my coccyx(tail-bone) removed after a bad fall at work(8/'89), which not only broke it, but dislocated it as well. I had the initial operation for removal soon after the fall. within one week I was in the OR again for an emergency revision of the entire incision due to it breaking totally open after a bowel movement.

Seventeen in-office minor surgeries to keep it open (later) properly for healing and to heal the countless infections of staph-strep-and some other kind I cannot remember...

Finally in mid '90, doc called in a plastic surgeon to revise it yet again. It finally did the trick and closed/healed properly.

I suffer from deep excrutiating pain while sitting, driving, or from lying prone. Pain while walking, bending, stooping as well. Pains on the lower buttock and pains running down the back of my legs and calves.

Here 's two URLs with info about these problems:

http://www.coccyx.org/whatisit/index.htm

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article130.html

Hope you get to feeling better.
    Carole (aka Carollie)
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Well I'm seriously thinking about an ER trip.

I've never had it so bad and I'm a lil scared~

The very center spot above where your tailbone is,...is so sore and yet to feel it its numb like.??
    I can't explain it.
    But I had to get dressed to go see my son get an award for art and I could barely walk. It gets much worse when I'm moving around,...yet laying is'nt awhole lot better either. My legs are driving me insane!! right down the backs of both legs into my calves!!
    I'll try the pillows,...and whatever crap pain meds I have.
    I have muscle relaxers on hand,...maybe I should take one along with my pain med??
    my butt is killing me!! this is nuts!
    Just when I have so much stuff going on~
    It never fails.
    I'm so afraid to go to the er,...
    afraid they'll admit me.

Gonna try a hot bath.
    Thanx
    Hugs
    Tandy
    Thanks for tht info.
    (sounds like what I have)
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

running down my buttocks into my legs and now it sometimes grips round the hips like a vice.

I often rub in Ibuprofen gel as well as take painkillers when its bad like htat, the gel give a bit of relief for a short time but not much.

So sorry I have no suggestions but though I'd answer and let you know I know what you're going through.

If you come up with any answers please let us know.

Rosie
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

What a sweetheart,just to answer me and have me know I'm not alone.
    This is some terrible pain!

I'll look for some rub today~
    I did'nt go to the er.
    I hate going there.
    Heat right on the end of my spine/tailbone helps.

Take care
    Hugs
    Tandy
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

once,....
    to see if anyone else might answer me too :(

Thanx
  8. read

read New Member

No pun intended. Sorry Tandy, know what your going through, had the same thing last year. I could tell you the whole ugly story but as it turned out this is what finally worked for me. I went to the ER twice once by myself the next time in the ambulance, seems you get way better service by ambulance lol. Anyway the doc there gave me 25 mgs of prednisone and some moraphine. I swear that the next day I felt like a new person, pain was all gone. Finally got my butt CTed and it should that I had two bulging disks in the very end of your tail bone, apparrently theres no room for any swelling to happen there, hence the bad pain. So after that I asked my regular doc to give me prednisone, which he gives me 5 mgs for 7 days along with tylenol #4 and I'm good to go. I was only allowed to take prednisone twice in the hospital, its an ugly drug but its also a blessing when you need it. I keep some on hand and never abuse the stuff, I also have an anti inflamatory cream that your doc can perscribe that works to, with the heat. Go see your doc and see if he can at least perscribe an anti inflamatory, they seem to like to give those out more than regular pain pills.Hope this helps you, Stay well Read
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

that when our muscles tighten,They sometimes involve a nerve.I'd have it all checked out though.Linda
  10. aaq

aaq New Member

I too have pain in those areas; but from what I understand that one of the parts of the body that is more sensitive for people with Fibro. The frustrating part about this disease/syndrome is no one really know how to take care of us poor soul with it. I actually had a Rheumatoid doctor tell me that fibro wasn't a form of Arthritis. Okay, then why do we see a Rheumatologist? I think a neurologist or endocrinologist need to treat it, it has to do more with the nerves system and thyroid it seem like than joint damage. What do you think?