Tailbone Pain!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ljrfrm, Nov 30, 2005.

1. ljrfrm

ljrfrm New Member

I've researched through old posts and found several people who suffer from severe tailbone pain....but I haven't seen anything recently. I was just diagnosed with fibro last month. I have horrible pain that started in both legs, moved to my arms, up my back and finally my shoulders. Then my joints began to ache. Then my skin began to hurt when touched. About two months after the pain began, my tailbone began to hurt. It's a different kind of pain, as my other aches and pains move around but this is a constant pain.....either a deep painful ache or a sharp pain. I am returning to see the dr. in two weeks and will insist on follow up for the tailbone - is my tailbone a symptom, or could it be the cause of all this. My chiropractor feels that the nerves are inflammed down there.....I've been taking anti-inflammatory and flexoril for 4 weeks now, and feeling worse, not better.

I'm just curious who else has tailbone pain. I've never had any type of tailbone injury or pain before. This all just came out of the blue.....thanks for your input.

Lisa
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

If I were you, I would insist that the tailbone pain be investigated. It might be part of FM - but then again, it might not. A big danger with these DD's is dismissing all our symptoms as part of CFS or FM.

A good friend of mine has suffered with severe CFS/FM for 15 yrs. Many days she has lain on the floor crying with the pain.

Finally an old friend of hers (who just happens to specialize in treating CFS) caught up with her recently and is treating her. One of the first things he discovered in his tests was that she has a fractured tail bone. AND a pinched nerve in her neck but that is another story.

In thinking about it, she thinks that she can pinpoint the time that she fractured her tail bone - 12 yrs ago!!!

As I said, this may just be another FM symptom but I would certainly investigate it as if you didn't have FM

Good luck.
    Pepper
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I have very bad tailbone pain. I usually have a heating pad on my couch. I have osteoarthritis in my tailbone, and that's what causes my pain, but the fibro certainly does mess with it.

Tigger
  4. ljrfrm

ljrfrm New Member

You guys are great, thanks for your quick responses. It helps me to see that I do need to push for further testing and not just put up with the Pain. I certainly don't remember any tailbone injury, it's never hurt before. But, you're so right - that doesn't mean I haven't injured it in the past. I also delivered three babies, so who knows -maybe something happened then.

My dr. seems pretty good at ruling out everything, she's still doing more blood work and x-rays, so I don't think it will be hard to get further MRI or whatever on my tailbone/back. Although I did feel very rushed during my lst appointment which was pretty irritating.

Anyhow, thanks again for the advice. Please jump in if anyone else has any other tailbone advice! thanks.
  5. Gagirl2

Gagirl2 New Member

I am not on her a lot, but I do have tail bone pain.I sit side ways.........But they have ruled out arthur in my back and tail bone. As a matter of fact, my toes got so cold on Tues, that the pains went up my leg into my tail or hip. Now the tail bone is just hurting. At least I don`t have the laeg pains. I can`t take antiflams, so I have been taking the tylenol with athritus.....It helps some......
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Yes I have it. I blame mine on the degenerative discs that I have in my lower back, but it could be my fibro.

I can't do the sideways sitting thing because of the disc problems and the facets are degenerating too. A pillow helps, also heat. You can get a special pillow that keeps direct weight off that area I can't think what its called, its kind of horse shoe shaped.