take a pain med and hurt worse! ultram vicodin you name it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Sep 9, 2011.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Is this possible I take wellbutrin sr 150 mg twice a day and klonopin for sleep. Have always taken darvocet small amounts for breakthrough pain. At one time I did not hurt when I took ultram. I tried tramadol and hurt worse. What is up??? PAIN and I already take supplements.
    Fibrocare which is malic acid and magnesium and a multi vitamin.

Whats a woman to do?? Took Savella sick!! could not pee. Advil my legs swell severely and hurt.
    Calgon take me away!!! Is it my diet or what? Try to stay away from sugar. Oh yeh I do take a high blood pressure pill now. Maybe that is it avalide and ultram.

Help
    hensue
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So sorry you aren't feeling well. Wish I had some advice that I knew would work instantaneously for you. I take Guaifensin for pain (The Guai Protocal). It helps me a lot. It typically helps people the most if you start it early on into your FM diagnosis, but not always. It may be worth looking into.

I empathize with you a great deal though re: Rx meds of all kinds. I tried pain meds before the Guai and my pain didn't get better at all. I too get terrible side effects (which I call ILL effects because that's more accurate!) from many Rx meds. I know how incredibly frustrating that is. The only things that helps my pain besides Guai are homeopathic, which you have probably heard of before: Epsom salt baths, stretching, healthy eating, etc.

A few exercise ideas if possible: Maybe you could try some slow, gentle walks? Even three minutes here and there? My body sometimes resists exercise at first, but then I feel TONS better regardless if I feel pain or not. The endorphin effect is amazing. Before the Guai, I would feel a lot pain if I was moving around or if I WAS NOT moving around, so I figured, why not exercise? Eventually, the muscles loosen up when we exercise a little (I know it's not always easy). If it's at all possible, I highly encourage you to try it. Our muscles tighten up more and more if we never move, so our pain can get even worse (which we obviously don't want). :) Stretching does wonders too. No super-woman type stuff here; just light and gentle.

Good for you from staying away from sugar! I would also look out for food additives (fake sugars) and stay away from trans fats and fried foods. These things might not take away pain completely, but bad foods zap energy quickly.

I hope you find some things that help you and that you feel much better soon.

Soft hugs,

Erika
  3. hensue

hensue New Member

It is funny you said get up and move around I was miserable and had taken 2 extra strength tylenol and half of soma. I got up and went to taco bell terrible but I made myself move around. Feed the dog nothing out of the ordinary but just not sitting in the chair and going crazy. I dont know if it was all a combo and when I got back sitting in my recliner eating the bad nachos with cheese. ( not good I know) started feeling much better. The pain was from excercise I walked one day and the next day did a little more cleaning than I should have.
    I did take half a klonopin and I feel 80 percent better. Trying to find out what is going to work and what not since darvocet is off the market and I finally ran out. I would only take peices of it for breakthrough pain and I am not use to this. Forgot how bad it was.

When I worked I controlled what I ate a lot better and had better muscle tone all that is gone now. Like you said I was sitting and aching all over and tightened up and all the combos helped.

I am glad the gau worked for you I tried many times and stayed off all the stuff you were not suppose to have.

In this world you would think in this century we would have something that helps the pain!

Thanks and take care
    hensue
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Refresh my memory, please. Did you follow Dr. St. Amand's protocol to the letter with the Guai? Failure is often due to hidden salicylates in one's regimen. Also, the pain gets worse with the Guai before it gets better. It's a long-term treatment which can take a long time to work. I had very strong Guai reactions with pain in the beginning. I had to take my morphine until the Guai kicked in enough for me to get of opiods. In the end, it was worth it because I no longer need opiods at all. My FMS symptoms are mostly reversed unless I get sick or injured. I only take 400 mgs. a day of the Guai for maintenance.

The problem with opiods is that when we take pain meds, the brain doesn't understand and makes more pain so we will pay attention. The brain uses pain to let us know something is injured or diseased. Our problem is that our brains make pain for no reason other than the CNS is messed up. Still, it will make more pain in response to opiods. For some, this reaction is stronger than for others.

There are some people for whom the Guai doesn't work but some of us are so sensitive to the sals that strict adherence to the protocol is absolutely necessary to get results. One woman was walking on her lawn barefoot. There were enough sals in the grass to enter her system through the bottom of her feet and block the Guai. I could tolerate some sals but in the beginning, I stuck to the rules. Now that I'm all but reversed, I don't have to worry about the sals except that I never take aspirin.

In any case, I'm sending up a prayer to help you with your pain. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

Back then my regimen was a lot stricter than now. I was working and had a schedule etc.
    I took it quite a while and tried to stay away from all the sals that I could. Glad it works for you.

Why would our brain make more pain when we take opiods (ultram)?? I know I am totally messed up brain wise. I know my CNS is totally messed up for what reason I have no Idea.
    Makes sense though! Have a reaction to everything else why not pain meds?

Feeling better today or trying till I took a dog to walk and hurt my ankle...... Yuk

I am sure tomorrow will be better.

Thank you so much for caring
    Hensue
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Our brains are like our dogs. When our dog hears something outside, if we don't pay attention to it, the dog barks louder. If we get up and look out and tell the dog it's OK, the dog keeps barking because it is his job to alert us to potential danger.

Our brain's job is to produce pain to alert us to disease or injury. If we ignore the pain, the brain will eventually produce more. If we medicate the brain, it will produce more pain because our defective brains believe that there is still danger and it must produce additional pain to overcome the medication. It's like a defective burglar alarm which cannot be shut off. The difference is that our brains have the capacity to increase the sound of the alarm.

This is why pain management with opiods is so difficult. This is called tolerance. It differs widely in different individuals. If one is very sensitive to tolerance, prolonged treatment with opiods requires larger and larger doses just to achieve the same result. This IS NOT addiction. It is physical tolerance. This is why good pain mgmt. docs will try to use additional treatments with pain meds to reduce pain.

Opiods have their place and I'm very grateful for the morphine and Vicodin made available to me when I had so much pain. Both had undesirable side effects and I knew I didn't want to take them any longer than needed. That is why I did the Guai Protocol and I'm so grateful that it worked so well for me. I also had physical therapy which I could even do in bed. Every little thing we do can help and if we do enough things, it can add up to pain reduction.

Hope this helps explain the pain tolerance phenomonen.

Love, Mikie