Take it easy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keetta, Aug 23, 2009.

1. keetta

keetta New Member

At what point do you just give up and let the house work pile up and stop doing everything at work that they expect you to do? I can not just lay down and not do this stuff! How do I get everything done that Ive always done when I end up hurting so bad that I just want to cry? Has anyone figured out how to get around these problems????
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's certainly a process.... a learning process. It's not easy to all of a sudden to give up on anything. There are many emotional things we have to learn to deal with. One is knowing our limits and not feeling guilty about it. We all cry. It's not your fault that you can't do everything!

You prioritize, you delegate, you do what you can around the house.

Work? I still work, so I understand that. It's tough, but I manage because I HAVE to.

You learn to rest - or realize that you have to actually.

3. keetta

keetta New Member

What I ment by work is how do I handle it? I have a friend that was telling me that she has found it too difficult to work, though she also has Lupis and can not take the meds. for FM because it interacts with the rest of her meds.
    She was just telling me that Im goin to have to learn to slow down at work and depending on how bad the FM is I may not be able to work.
    I work at a prison and all the buildings have stairs, no air and everything on the unit is a mile away, Im a Sergeant, Im over the Use of Force Office and I train the new officers coming in. Needless to say Im busy from the time I step foot on the unit. Lately all Ive been able to do is hide in my office and try to stay awake. How do I deal with this?? How long does it take for these meds to kick in??
  4. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I so understand what you are going through as far as work. It is very difficult to manage FM with a job. The only information I have is, if you have any sleep problems, it is imperative to get your sleep issues under control. My (former) rheumatologist stressed this, and though I didn't agree with most of what he told me, he was right on the dot when it comes to sleep.

In my case, taking Flexeril helped tremendously. As you probably have noticed everyone is different so you will need to find what works for you.

Once I was getting a few more hours of GOOD sleep, it was a little easier to cope with work.

As far as housework, you just have to draw the line. My untidy house causes me some stress and discomfort, but the stress from the messy house is less than the sickness that came when I overdid things. I had to finally use an affirmation tape (Belleruth Naperstak) to train myself out of the superwoman complex. From my research, I have learned that most FM doctors will warn against overdong. With FM something has to give!

I'm wishing you the best, it is not an easy road to work with this disease.

5. keetta

keetta New Member

At this point I dont know if Im sleeping or not...I can go to sleep, I wake up several times a nite to reshift and get comfortable due to my back hurting, but other than that I sleep. I just feel like when I get up that I havent slept most of the nite, Im exhausted all day and all I can think of most of the day is getting home and getting back into bed, knowing it's going to be the same all over again...
    They have me on Lyrica, but this will only be my 3rd nite on it and from what I understand Im going to have to take it for at least 2 weeks before I know if it's going to do anything or not.
    As for house work, Im not at the point that I can just let it go yet. I have 4 animals which requires regular vacuming of furniture and floors, Im married so that means that I HAVE to try everything I can to get what I can done. We were just married in March of this year and now this, he's probably wondering what he's gotten himself into, though he's been very supportive to this point.
  6. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

"Im married so that means that I HAVE to try everything I can to get what I can done"

Uh, why can't your husband help? You're not his maid, you have a full-time job, so at the very least, he can do half. (can't you hire someone to clean?) Around here, we're both sick, so when one of us is feeling better, that person does more. If neither of us can do much, we take it easy until we can.

Have you looked into getting some pain meds? Not only do my pain meds relieve the pain, but I often get a burst of energy when they take effect, too.

Since you just got married in March, you're probably feeling some ill effects of planning the wedding, having the wedding, etc. Maybe you just need to take it easy at home. If your spouse isn't a jerk, he should understand. He married someone he loves, not a maid or a chef.
  7. nink

nink New Member

It is very common for people with either CFS or FM to have an abnormal sleep cycle - we get very little sleep that is healing and we wake up feeling refreshed and ready to welcome a new day.

I have had 3 sleep studies done over the past 10 years. During the first 2, I had borderline sleep apnea. Then I lost a considerable amount of weight. I just had another sleep study - no apnea at all, but I still didn't achieve deep sleep. The neurologist who is evaluating me wants to wait 6 months to allow some metabolic problems to get straightened out. After 25 years of no deep sleep, what's another 6 months?

BTW, I was charged $3,200.00 for the study, not including the evaluation of the results by the neurologist. In other posts, people have been curious about that. Thank goodness Medicare puts significant limits on what doctors can charge!