Take the "What Is Your Accent Quiz"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenouchy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My sister just sent this fun website to me. Let us know what YOUR accent is!

I've lived in Austin, TX for about 17 years, but the quiz says my accent is from "The Midland":

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Perhaps it's because so many people who live here came from other parts of the country?

Erika :)
  2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Can't stop laughing.I'm Scottish but took the American accent quiz out of curiousity.I'm supposed to have a Boston accent.How do you explain that????hahaha.
    Well I suppose that Boston is one of the closest State's to the UK.There's also the Boston Celtic's connection too, seeing as we're all Celts over here as well.
    So maybe having an accent close to the Boston one isn't as daft as it first sounds.
    Gave me a laugh anyway,thanks for that,lol,
  3. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Which is really the truth only I call "pop" soda not pop but everyone here does call it pop. ( I lived in south Texas for 5 years..You say Pop and they smack you..LOL
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I took it. I am from Upstate New York. It said my accent indicates I am from INLAND>

"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconcin?' or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop".

They were WAY OFF on me. I am from Upstate New York (the Northeast)I spend summers in Maryland and people ALWAYS ask me where I'm from and comment that I have NO accent. When they find out I'm from New York (down there they think anyone from New York is from the City or at least one of the boroughs)they all say, oh, you don't SOUND like you're from NY. And I would NEVER call soda "pop". But, my sister does, she lives in Michigan.
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Ahhh yes, the Boston Scottish accent....I'm familiar with that one! LOL I bet you have a wonderful accent. According to the quiz, I don't have one, but some people say I sound a little Southern. Glad you got some laughs today. :)
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

from the inland north too. Right on. Minnesota is on Lake Superior.

This thing is almost as accurate as astrology.
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I took the quiz and definitely have the midland accent. It didn't take into account the northlands accent I still have, since I was raised in Minnesota. Sounds sort of like the movie, Fargo, but not quite that exagerrated. Here are some examples:

Let's go = Less go
    Minnesota = minna soda
    South St Paul = Sow Sain Paul
    Yeah sure = Ya shooer
    Okay then = Ok den
    You bet = Yoo betcha
    The frozen lake = Da frozn layk

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My sister, who still lives in the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes, talks pretty much like Frances McDormand in "Fargo".

I never did figue out why they called that movie "Fargo". It took place in Minnesota.

I suppose if the Cohan Brothers made "Gone With the Wind" they would have called it "Boston".
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I always got asked where I'm from when I lived in the South. And in Thomasville, GA, when people asked that question they usually got an answer that was somewhere close like Smith Ave or another town nearby. After awhile, I started saying "earth" and some people actually said "whar's that?"

I've never used the word "pop" either, not for soda and not for dad.

When I was totally surrounded by Southerners, I started using some of their phrases and sounds after awhile. My friend Julie told me once I sounded Southern. I got really scared and dropped the dumb phrases like "I'm fixin' ta go ta tha sto".

Some jokes are unforgettable in the South, though, like my favorite joke about teeth: she could eat pah (pie) through a picket fence. I don't remember the joke, only the punchline, you'll have to make it up.

10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I'm just shocked. LOL! It's TOTALLY useless but fun. My sister and I sound almost identical much of the time, and yet when she took the quiz, she was told she had an "Inland Northern" accent, while I was told I had a "Midland accent", which equates to "no accent".

Many people think I have a touch of Southern in my voice, so hey, this thing is as accurate as a weather forecast. Tis for amusement purposes only, kids! :)
  11. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Minne-sotan girl who makes up her own words all by her self!

I didn't grow up with the heavy scandinavian accents, i think each generation losses more and more of it. As we get generationally farther from our mother land.

My Grandfather 100% swed, would get drunk and sing in swedish.
    That only makes me a quarter swed, kinda like a quarter horse! LOL

12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Well, I've lived a bit of everwhere. I was raised in N. Illinois, but haven't lived up north in over 3 decades. I've lived in the south for the past quarter of a century. Do yall' think I have a Southern accent????

And yes, I do have to stop myself from calling carbonated drinks "pop"!