Taking 2 grams of fish oil. High EPA and DHA, feeling more depressed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I have been taking only 1 gram of fish oil for about a few months now. My doctor wants me to take between 3 and 4 grams per day. I started 2 grams just about 8 days ago.

The two grams consist of 4 capsules daily. The brand I take has a high EPA and DHA level, more than in most supplements. The EPA is 280 and the DHA is also 280, per gram.

I always thought that fish oil was good for depression, it is always recommended, but so far I feel actually worse. Of course having FM and it's host of problems just creates depression for me. But, I have actually been finding myself to be more short tempered since taking this.

I really don't know if it's the fish oil or just such a huge combination of other health, financial, work and personal stress.

I have bursitis in both of my hips. It's always there, but when it flares up a lot, my legs hurt and my knees as well. This type of relentless pain always gets me in a worse mood and I tend to be more short tempered.

I finally talked with my integrative doctor who wants me to take a higher does of the fish oil and she put in a recommendation to see a different rheumatologist. Because my doctor called me at work, I just didn't have the privacy and time to tell her I'm not sure I want to take more fish oil, and another rhuematologist will only burn me out more.

I am being pessimistic right now. The weather is also changing here in Ohio and I feel it's making me more depressed. My father recently passed away and my thoughts are with him a lot lately. I just don't have the desire to start anything right now, I'm burned out.

Antidepressants are out of the question. Been down that road before and they only make me much worse in the end. Anyway, any thoughts about the fish oil? I have also been taking CoQ10 100 mg a day as well. Hugs Chelz.