taking Aleve for pain,is it safe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have pain meds. from the dr. Ultram and a muscle relaxer.And they seldom help.The muscle relaxer just helps my to relax and sleep better.I have started taking aleve but I take 3 at a time.I have heard the stories of the dangers of taking too much tylenol and the effects it has on the liver.I can't take an anti-inflamatory due to the gastris I have in my stomach.What else can I add or do to treat the pain.I really don't want another perscription pain med. that is strong.I am thinking of the furture.If I get worse I don't want to be immune to pain meds.

Whatcha think,
    Sheila
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Aleve is an anti-inflammatory as well. It is safe in moderate amounts but I wouldn't take 3 at a time. If you are needing that much, it sounds like you need something stronger than Ultram. You won't become immune to pain meds.
    There are so many options out there, you just need to work with your Doctor to find the right thing. The you won't be wanting to take anything extra.

In the meantime, try Epsom Salts baths and rest.

Kathy.
  3. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I was taking four ibuprofen every 3 hrs. you need to call the dr and say you need something else to go along with your ultram. I have darvacet,ultram,percecet, flexeril, naproxon and an older muscle relaxer called chloraxazone which really helps. I also take med for my stomach, Prevacid that controls the stomach acid. It takes a while to find what works best for you. and I have been going to the same primary dr for allmost 10 yrs and He believes me when I tell him something. I think that is the most important and my rheum. is so caring too. I use the same pharmacy for everything, all 37 meds. and both drs are in the same practice so they have an easy way to keep up with me and the meds.Good luck but please call or go see your dr. for more relief Suzette