Taking Ambien tonight for first time, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IngyW68, Aug 20, 2003.

1. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Hi there,

I just got back from the DR.s and she not only gave me some Percocet for my breakthrough pain, thank goodness:), but Ambien to help me sleep. I have a terminally ill dog and he has to get up to go outside every 1 an 1/2 to 2 hours every night, all night. THis has been going on for 5 months now and I haven't had a good nights rest>

So, are there any thoughts or things I should know about before taking this? THanks for the help.

Ingrid
  2. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

You can't take Ambien until you are in bed and ready to go to sleep. You don't get drowsy with it. Most people just go out like a light. If you have to get up with the dog several times a night you may have trouble with Ambien.

Kel
  3. catsii

catsii New Member

and have taken it off and on for several years. The most sleep i can get from it is 3-4 hours straight. But i'm not the "norm". have friends who take one and sleep for 8-10 hrs.
    Sorry to hear about your dog, ingrid. I too am a dog/cat lover. Take care of yourself and good luck with the ambien.

Catsii
  4. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

I have a really good experience with Ambien so far. It simply puts you to sleep, no drugged feeling the next day. I can wake up at night to go to the bathroom, I absolutely (and in my case, unfortunately) still wake up to the pleas of my cat for a 5 AM snack. I usually can pop right off again to sleep after going to the bathroom or kicking the cat out instead of feeding her. (^;

I don't need to take it while in bed, I could force myself to stay awake on it. But if I lie down and turn the light out, off I go! Takes about 20 minutes for it to kick in for me.

If you are like me, you should be able to get up and let your dog out and get back in bed and go to sleep again. But maybe you should have a Plan B for tonight just in case you snooze through it? Leave the door open? Maybe take 2.5 mgs tonight to see if that works (you won't be down as deep as if you took 10)? Or 5 mgs, instead?

Ambien does not give me restorative sleep, but at least I sleep. Now, if my husband would stop snoring! (^:

I hope your dog experiences an easy end to things, and you have an easy nights sleep.

Aeryn
  5. Ipegasus

Ipegasus New Member

Hi there,

I take Ambien on and off and it gives me at least 4 hours of sleep. It depends on my pain but it does help and I don't feel really drugged in the morning. Everyone is different, so you have to try it and see how it works for you. It does work fairly quickly compared to anti-depressants. It doesn't seem to have bad side-effects for me.

good luck,

Pegasus
  6. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Thanks for all the great advice. The good part is that my husband has agreed to take night dog duty for a couple of days so I can catch up:)I'll let you know how it works out.

Ingrid
  7. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Hi,
    New to this message board. I will tell you my experience on Ambien. I have been on it for around 10 years. I DO NOT take it every night. I take it only when I cannot sleep for three-four days. One reason is I do not have medical insurance-so I pay for everything right over the board-30 pills usually runs me in the neighborhood of $90.00 plus. Mine is for 10mg. Sometimes I break then in half.

If I take a 10mg I need to go right to bed. If I do not I can walk around, watch TV, go to the store, etc., won't remember a thing the next morning. Total memory loss. Now if I take a 5mg not as bad.

Also the ambien I get really hungry when taking it. I mean if I do not go to sleep I can really pig out. Then that begins another problem-weight gain.

Also only take one pill at a time. If one pill is not doing it the chances are taking more will not help. With me it didn't anyways. Just wasted $3.00 a pill.

Becareful-ambien does have its good points. I'm really glad I have it at times.

Deb
  8. jmaxjmax

jmaxjmax New Member

I have taken ambien before and also had problems with memory the next day. Seems the 1/2 hour to an hour before I slept was a complete blank to me. So it best to try not to do things after you take the ambien. I did get good sleep though!
    :) Max
  9. bct

bct Well-Known Member

If you are takinf this for the first time make sure someone is with you. You seem to have that covered, though. When my partner took Ambien I was UNABLE to wake him up to tell him to turn off his bed-light! Next time, I couldn't wake him to turn over to stop snoring. This drug is a hypnotic, unless my info is wrong; if so please correct me, one of you med. pundits out there. And oh yes, when my 78 yr. old mom took it before going to bed she fell asleep on the toilet... funny, but NOT a laughing matter for someone with severe FM and falling problems. I'm so sorry for your dog, Ingrid, and for the psychological pain and anxiety you must be having with him. Believe me I know. I lost two of my K9 companions recently, one 21 yrs., and a 5yr. old corgi with sudden heart failure. Best wishes, Barry
  10. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Hello again,

I really appreciate all the kind words about my dog situation. Yes, it is a very difficult time. I just pray that God will take him peacefully in his sleep when it's time.

Well, it took about a 1/2 hour for the medicine to kick in 10mg, but then I don't remember getting up at all during the night:) I also had a great dream about Kevin Costner so I am definitely loving this stuff:):):)

I will take again for the next few nights and hopefully get caugt up on some zzzzzz's.

Thanks again to everyone.

Ingrid
  11. marta

marta New Member

Ambien was great for me for the short term. After a year it backfired and I began to feel very edgy during the day and it didn't help with sleep at night. If I had it to do over again, I'd only take it for a week, in a pinch.

I have a feeling that you'd wake up if needed, Ambien or not. You don't need to be afraid of it, IMO.

Hugs for you and your dog. Such a sad thing.

Marta
  12. jka

jka New Member

hi ingrid-
    i take ambien at night also.you have to be in bed ready to go to sleep when you take it.i use mine for when i wake up about 3-4 and can't get back to sleep.it's short acting so i don't wake up groggy.you will probably have a problem waking up for your dog.this stuff can knock you out.
    sleep well and don't let the bed bugs bite!
    kathy
  13. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

So sorry about losing your fur baby.

My suggestion would be not to drink 2 hours before going to bed. If you have dry mouth you can use a dry mouth spray. When my father was taking this and had to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night he would fall.

Take care
  14. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I too had to take it when I was actually in bed cos if I took it any earlier I couldn't remember anything that happend before I went to sleep, it usually gave me 3-4 hours a night which was fantastic but my doc stopped it a couple of moths ago, he's a igno when it comes to fms, my symptoms have got much worse since, I really miss the sleep it brought me. Hope you have a good experience with it,good luck.
    Love & Light,
    Jacqui.
  15. janana

janana New Member

I have been taking it for 2 yrs with goood results. No hangover. But you do build up a tolerance and have to take more. It just puts youto sleep which is nice!!! I get 3-4 hrs and than take another 1/2 to put me back to sleep for few more hrs. Good luck!!!
  16. tommiel

tommiel New Member

My dr gave me a precription for ambien a month ago i havent taken it yet.I wasn't sure how it would work for me.He also told me to take it when i just had to.Thank you for the advice.I have been needing to take it but wasnt sure about it.

tommiel
  17. cma331

cma331 New Member

I guess i have been one of the lucky ones.....Been on Ambien about 5 years now....take a very small dosage( 2 1/2 mg) , must be in bed when i take it, i give it 20 minutes , turn out the lights, and just go with it......No side effects....I get the 8-9 hours sleep, it says you should get on the computer printout.....If i take more; i can have nightmares , and just "feel Funny"........
    Carole
  18. DebM

DebM New Member

Ingrid,

I am new to the boards-I saw AMBIEN as I was bwosing so I knew it was about sleep. I have never taken it but my Dr. gave me Trazadone-I take 100 mg. I take it a half hour before I go to sleep. It works great and I usually dont wake up and when I do get up I am very rested. It is like a miracle for me as I have never slept well for as long as I can remember.

Deb
  19. PollyDolly

PollyDolly New Member

It can over time become addictive. I have been taking
    it for 5 years and I really don't think I can sleep now
    without it. When I have CFS so badly that I really need
    sleep I take two, the normal times only one but you can become addicted.
  20. aching

aching New Member

i take elavil and I also had a very ill dog that needed to go out several times a night. I could not wake up to let her out and she ended up wetting at the top of the stairs(she also had to be carried down) every night. We had her put down 2 months ago bless her soul.
    good luck!And sorry to hear about your pet.

[ advertisement ]