Taking antibiotics - got a brown tongue now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ali-may, May 15, 2003.

1. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Agh! After months of anti-candida work, I got a bacterial infection in my eyelid of all places, and the doctor gave me antibiotics... normally I would look into a natural alternative, but didn't want to take any chances with this infection as the doc said that it had the potential to go inwards and that it should be taken very seriously.

SO I've been taking these antibiotics and now my tongue's getting brown. Today I'm getting this stuff from the chemist that contains not just acidophilus but also other cultures and K12 - it's made specifically for after antibiotic use and replaces the bacteria both orally and intestinally. I'm hoping it works ok!!!

Meantime... I'm going back to the doctor today as this other weird thing has happened - the side of my neck has gotten stiff and last night there was a lump in it - a gland maybe??? The swelling isn't so bad now but it's still a bit stiff... I hope the infection hasn't moved... I don't want more antibiotics. Anyone else experienced this weirdness in the side of the neck?

Ali
  2. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Hi Ali,

When you say you have been doing Anti-candida work, what exactly do you mean?

You may need to do more than a change of diet. - Visit the "Candida-Yeast" website by William G Crook,MD.

Have a good read through his site and the stories etc.
    There is a lot of very valuable info to help you through this.

Love Pat.

Just browsed through the library here and found this article. It coincides with a new product I am taking called Cytomol, it`s what is discussed in the atricle.

I started on Cytomol yesterday and already my sinus is much clearer !

Could be worth a try........

Scientists Develop 'Super Peptide' That Kills candida Albicans
    ImmuneSupport.com

04-28-2003

Zengen, Inc. announced that its scientists have developed a 'super' peptide that kills candida albicans (C. albicans), a single-celled organism that is the most prevalent yeast species in the human gastrointestinal (GI) tract. A common fungus, C. albicans causes a variety of infections, including vaginitis. This organism can invade tissues and produce fatal infections in individuals with compromised immune systems such as those suffering from HIV/AIDS or undergoing organ or bone transplants.
    This discovery, say the researchers, may also be a key to understanding one of the greatest mysteries of Mother Nature -- how a peptide that has existed in the same form since at least the Pennsylvanian period of the Paleozoic era (more than 300 million years ago) really works in modulating inflammatory and immune responses.

The study, "Novel alpha-Melanocyte Stimulating Hormone Peptide Analogues with High candidacidal Activity," is scheduled to appear in the February 20, 2003 issue of the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific society.

Scientists aimed to find alpha-MSH analogues with greater antimicrobial activity and to reach a better understanding of the peptide structure-antifungal activity relations against C. albicans through design, synthesis and testing of novel peptide analogues in which several modifications were made. Because previous data suggested that antimicrobial effects of alpha-MSH were receptor-mediated, the research team chose to focus on the alpha-MSH amino acid sequence (6-13), which contains the invariant core sequence His-Phe-Arg-Trp (6-9) that is important for binding to the known melanocortin receptors. A second focus was on the sequence Lys-Pro-Val (11-13) that is known to be important for antimicrobial activity.

In this structure-activity study, the team developed several compounds that have greater candidacidal activity than alpha-MSH and, in fact, one particular peptide (number 19) killed nearly 100 percent (99.7 percent) of candida cells over repeated experiments. Further, results indicate that substitutions in the alpha-MSH (6-13) amino acid sequence can either enhance or reduce candidacidal influences of the peptide. This discovery may help scientists understand the unique mechanism of action of alpha-MSH peptides, which are substantially different from that of most antimicrobial agents that cause direct damage to the microbial membrane.

"The power of this new alpha-MSH analogue against C. albicans appears to be significantly greater than any other known peptides, as it is super-potent, super-stable and super-durable," stated Paolo Grieco, Associate Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Toxicology, University of Naples, Italy, and lead author on the paper. "We've not only improved upon Mother Nature by developing a 'super' peptide that kills C. albicans, but also may have unlocked the key to understanding how alpha-MSH really works -- through a receptor in yeast which is yet to be identified."

Unlike viruses or bacteria, fungal cells such as yeast resemble the cells of the human body and thus, can be difficult to treat. There is increasing evidence that C. albicans strains become resistant to current treatments -- enabling these fungi to take on 'super' powers.

"This new peptide analogue appears to be different from the known anti-microbial peptides, such as alpha-MSH, that have been around for hundreds of millions of years," said Ettore Novellino, Professor and Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Naples, Italy, and co-author of the paper. "Clearly there is more research to be conducted on Zengen's novel molecules and we are excited about the enormous clinical implications of our discovery."

Zengen's proprietary molecules were developed from more than 25 years of original research in the US, Europe and Asia on peptide molecules derived from alpha-Melanocyte-Stimulating Hormone (alpha-MSH). A naturally occurring molecule, alpha-MSH modulates inflammatory and immune responses. James Lipton, Ph.D., Zengen's chief scientific officer, chairman of the scientific advisory board and director, and his collaborators first demonstrated that alpha-MSH possesses anti-inflammatory properties and uncovered the specific activity of the carboxy-terminal tripeptide region (C-terminal peptide) of the alpha-MSH peptide. These discoveries led to the development of Zengen's proprietary peptide molecules, including CZEN 002, a synthetic octapeptide. Zengen is currently conducting phase I/II clinical trials with CZEN 002 in vaginitis.

"Ultimately these new findings, coupled with results from ongoing research with our proprietary molecules, such as our clinical trials in vaginitis with CZEN 002, could lead to the development of valuable pharmaceutical agents to control yeast growth," added Dr. Lipton, study co-author. "This holds tremendous promise to change the way inflammatory and infectious diseases are treated."

[This Message was Edited on 05/15/2003]
  3. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Thanks for all of that info - I wasn't aware of that!

I did the candida diet and antifungals for several months, cleared myself right up and replaced all the good bacteria with probiotics. Everything was in place and I have been feeling great until I got this infection that's going around... so having to take antibiotics has destroyed all my good work in getting rid of candida and replacing the good bacteria, seeing as antibiotics wipe out all bacteria both good and bad...

So I got this stuff today, it says you have to start taking it within 24 hours of completing a course of antibiotics - so you're replacing the good bacteria immediately, and hopefully not allowing the bad bacteria to take hold.

I still have an infection - the bumps on the side of my neck, it turns out, are swollen glands. The doc didn't give me anymore antibiotics, so I'm just finishing these ones and then starting on replacing the good bacteria...

4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I would say stuff the ABX right up the DRs backside...

Get yourself a product by higher Nature, it has Echinacea,Black elderberry, Olive Leaf Extract and Myrrh.

This will help you no doubt. It has for us every time.

What I like about this is that the good bacteria are not killed off - only anything that`s bad. Viral, Bacterial,yeast related and pathogens are all stopped in their tracks.

You could try OLE on it`s own, - tap into search box and I have an article or two on it, loads of posts too.

But I like the mix as Echinacea stimulates the immune system and Black Elderberry is an antidioxant.

Love Pat.
  5. ali-may

ali-may New Member

That sounds really good, thanks for the suggestion... This wasn't even my real doctor, as my real doc is away... I asked this guy today about my brown tongue and he had no idea... he was like 'antibiotics wouldn't cause that', asked me whether I smoked, and concluded that my tongue must just be like that. Oh well, whatever, y'know. I still don't feel that well, but can't afford to buy any more products right now - I have some pau d'arco, I'm not sure if it's antibacterial but it is anti-viral and anti-yeast... I need to look it up and check... but that too will leave the good bacteria alone... hopefully it's antibacterial, because that's the kind of infection I have. I'm also going to do a strict anti-candida diet for a while just to make sure that things don't get a chance to get out of control...

Thanks again!

Ali
  6. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Sounds good for viral and fungal, so should work for you.
    Good luck.

The stuff I mentioned cost about £6 here, must be about$9 there.

It`s always two paces forward and one back - or both in your case at the moment.

The ABX has let the yeast take over again, it`s tough stuff to control once it has a foothold.

Hope you feel better soon,

Love pat.