Taking Cytomel Synthroid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jengus, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jengus

jengus New Member

Anyone taking Cytomel & Synthroid for Hypothyroid? Taking Cytomel for about 4 months. When doctor checked thyroid recently, T-3 was in range, but T-4's and TSH were extremely low!!
    Doc has me adding Synthroid to the Cytomel, starting at 50 mcg for a week and going up to 100 mcg. If still no improvement in symptoms, stopping Cytomel. I'm at 100 mcg this week and very little improvement. Will drop Cytomel end of the week and stay at 100 mcg. Then he will retest.
    Does any of this make any sense to anyone? My worst symptoms are being extremely tired and feeling that my brain isn't working along with being so down!
  2. pstps

pstps New Member

Check out Dr.Ridha Arems' book, The Tyroid Solution. He wrote this in 2000 but has an updated version coming out in Aug. 2008. I to have hypothyroid and have made an apt. to go see him in Texas. In his book he adds T3 to FM patients hoping it will help them. I am only on synthroid now. Good luck.
  3. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

I started out on a higer dose of cytomel than I'm on now. I had to lower it because after about six weeks I started having anxiety attacks. Too high a dose and that's a side effect. It's pretty new to me still (only on it for seven weeks) so I cannot tell you much. My understanding is that if the TSH is low than you are probably getting too much of the hormone although I am not sure which one. I think Synthroid affects the T-4 so that's why she added that with the low T4 levels.
  4. jbc66

jbc66 New Member

I started out on a higer dose of cytomel than I'm on now. I had to lower it because after about six weeks I started having anxiety attacks. Too high a dose and that's a side effect. It's pretty new to me still (only on it for seven weeks) so I cannot tell you much. My understanding is that if the TSH is low than you are probably getting too much of the hormone although I am not sure which one. I think Synthroid affects the T-4 so that's why she added that with the low T4 levels.