Taking Darvocet (gen)ProproxyN/APAP 100650

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Granniluvsu, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here has had alot of experience with taking Darvocet for pain. A few months ago my rheumy gave me this presecription to take one table 2x a day. I am almost afraid to take it as I know it has some narcotic in it. So, I have been taking 1/2 once a day. I guess it helps a little bit with mypain esp the head, neck and shoulders but I am not sure about taking so much of it.

I feel not to bad when I take the 1/2 but am almost afraid to take A WHOLE ONE TWICE A DAY.

Just wondering what others experiences have been and I don't really want to get hooked on it. Also sometimes at night I have a drink of wine with DH and I would rather do that than take another pill. Also, don't want liver damage either.

Last visit when I saw my rheumy and told her I was only taking 1/2 she said to take more of it. So, I am trying but I have never been that much of a pill taker and have dealt with this DD for over 20 years without anything. OTC drugs did nothing. I just got dxed aabout 9-10 months ago - about time.

The only thing I take right now is gen Flexeril and Klonopin at night to sleep. That does a good job on helping me sleep. I am also taking b/p drug and for osteoporosis.

Just wondering if anyone has taken it, was it habit forming and how much of a did you take and how often. How long have you been taking it? Sorry for all the questions.

I have been meaning to post this for a few monts and just keep forgetting to do so.

Blessings and warm hugs to you all,

Marilyn (Granni)

Any info about this would be very helpful.

2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I took it monthly for cramps for years. It is part of the methadone family and habit forming. I never took more than 1/2 pill twice a day because my stomach couldn't handle any more than that, it does have alot of tylenol or acetaminophen. I would also drink wine at night with dinner even if I had taken some earlier. Probably was a very bad idea considering later I found out I had hep c and it had made it all the more difficult for my liver to do its job.

I stopped taking them when I got ill because I can't tolerate any acetaminophen anymore and am scared to put that in my liver. I don't see any problem with taking 1/2 if that's all you need. I've only taken a whole one once, the first time I ever took it and it made me so nauseous that I always took 1/2 after that.

Make sure it's out of your system when you have your wine, though. Alcohol and tylenol will fry a liver in no time; it uses up the chemicals the liver uses to detox chemicals with very quickly and then it just does major damage. You won't even feel it or know it's happening.

I even tried to get darvocets in half dosages and they don't even make the smaller dosage anymore. They gave me a good feeling along with the pain relief and I can see how some people may want to take them all the time, but the nausea kept me from taking more than 1/2 at a time and no more than twice a day so that was never an issue for me, fortunately.

good luck with it!

karen
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2007]
  3. Mwitherite

Mwitherite New Member

b/c they will not give me that for my pain, I have a CDL. They have given it to me for short term for the headaches and neck pain, I took a whole one when the pain is bad. Ususally after lunchish. My mom has been on Darvocet tho for a few years and has grown tolerant and takes 2 at a time and that would just put me on my tushie! Age matters a lot too. Being 28 I wouldn't want to be on Darvocet as my only pain relief, I take tramadol ( Ultram) since today and that seems to help. Before this I was on the limit of OTC's daily - might as well have taken tic tacs! I would use the Darvocet for when the tramadol just don't quite get it. Something like that. Also if you don't want to be on a Narc for everyday, suggest something like tramadol that is not a narc according to Doc and see if that will blend OK with the B/P and osteo meds. I do take the Flexeril and Doc said that cocktail was ok.
    Hope this may have been a bit helpful to you.

Warm Regaurds - M
  4. Granniluvsu

Hi there,
    I appreciate all your posts so far. I might have to ask the doc for something else that would not be a narcotic or have acetomenaphen in it. I had heard about that being not good for your liver, esp if you drink alcohol.

I am still interested in any other ideas or stories of anyone elses' usage of the drug.

Thanks alot !

Hugs,

Marilyn (Granni)
  5. nightngale

nightngale New Member

just prescribed some over the phone for the thigh pain Iam having the ultracet doesn't seem to help. He gave me a huge bottle with fve refills! Is this "better" or less addicting than say vicodin?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2007]
  6. KarrinneSleepyhead

KarrinneSleepyhead New Member

is a very mild narcotic, much more so than Lortab/Vicodin or Percocet. There are some studies which show it to be not much more effective than the Tylenol that is in it, especially for older people.
    It does absolutely nothing for me.[This Message was Edited on 04/04/2007]
  7. Granniluvsu

Thank you both for your posts.

Nightngale, I have just been taking 1/2 of one ( not sure if that is even worth taking) for the amt.

Do you know how long it stays in your system? I have no idea but I usually have my wine in the late afternoon early evening and take my 1/2 Darvocet in the morning with everything else. The only other meds I take for FM/CMFP is gen. Flexeril and Klonopin to help with sleep. It does help with that and I usually don't even have to get up in the middle of the night to go !! (yippee)

Thanks again for the imput !!

Sleepyhead - have you found which one works for you best?

Bye for now. Have a wonderful and blessed Easter !

Hugs,

Granni
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

She said that Darvocet is very mild, and doesn't do much for pain, and I agree. Many doctors still prescribe it, but there are many doctors that consider Darvocet obsolete. I read once that it is the most overdosed-on drug seen at emergency rooms, and the reasoning is that people tend to take more and more of it---way too much---because it simply doesn't help their pain.

Marilyn, you are being very smart to be cautious with the drug/alcohol combinations, though, and their effect on the liver. I still can't convince my husband that he shouldn't wash Tylenol down with a beer (not that he does this often, but it's just not a safe combination). You do want to think of your liver and keeping it healthy.

Like you, I enjoy a glass of wine now and then, and I'm always cautious about whatever else I'm swallowing that day or that week. Luckily, I don't need to use any constant pain meds but if I did, I'd cut out my glass of wine for sure. I personally know someone who had liver failure from combining moderate alcohol consumption with the Aleve she took for arthritis.

Check with your doctor if you are concerned, see if he has any guidelines or suggestions for an alternative med.

(((Hugs)))
    Pam

9. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

meds. Now Im on 30 different prescriptions. I take 2 darvoct in the morning and 2 at night and some days 2 in the middle of the day. We all have different levels of pain and those of us who have it bad, have to do what we can to exist.

I also take a loratab 2-3 times a day and the drs are concerned with my liver although they test it every 3 mth and so far so good. I take alot of stuff and I havent had a pain free day in almost 4 yrs.

Suette
  10. Granniluvsu

Hi Pam and Suzette,

Believe me if you need to take it I say do so. I am mostly just not trying to overdose ( or ttake to much esp. on a daily basis) and am also worried about that liver thing with tylenol. When I heard about tylenol in the darvocet I have become reluctant to take it, so I usually take 1/2 a tab in the morning.

I did mention this to the doctor who did not seem to cncerned about the wine and darvoet thing, esp with the amts. I am taking. She just said in the afternoon if I needed to take tak a couple of regular or x strengh tylenol instead. I have been trying to just eliminate the afternoon dosage all together. If there comes a time when I really think I need it I will decide. I have had pain no matter what for over 20 years and most otc drugs don't really touch it.

Suzette, I am so sorry your have so much pain that you have to take so many meds but if it helps, go for it and I am glad that your liver is getting monitored. I hope that the meds are at least helping you somewhat.

Bye for now. Happy Easter !!!

Hugs,

Granni (Marilyn)