Taking meds supplements in the right way?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lrgatplay, Dec 30, 2006.

1. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

Trying to work through all the useful information provided here by all you wonderful people. Hoping you can give me some suggestions on the plan I'm trying to develop for my son.

I'm getting so mixed up with information overload!

Heres the plan, let me know if we should move things around a bit to be more effective or so not to cancel each other out.

AM upon rising (his a.m. between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. more or less)
    Antibiotic Clarithromycin (Biaxin) prescribed for sinus, but want to get doc to continue for long term 6 month, then cycling later. Re-read that GWI recommendation earlier. Thanks to poster.

+1hour or so. Eat lunch/meal.
    Take his VIBE liquid multi. Contains all kinds of stuff including germanium, (l-carnitine, d-ribose, Co-Q10, malic acid, )(not sure how much just says 280mg), some berries and oregano etc. green tea, aloe vera...
    Then we have Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement.
    Aceytl L-Carnitine (ran out of this a few days ago, told him what it was supposed to do and he says he can tell it's missing.)
    also have some veg. & fruit juice plus.

+2hours
    Take Multi enzyme formula (Walmart/Rexall brand, again thanks to someone posting here) Perhaps herxing from this, been giving 2x day 2 tablets for about a week. Weather just turned humid and rainy so can't tell difference.
    and/or oregano oil
    or berry blend juice plus

Snack

+3hours
    Take probiotic (8bil. acidolpholus bifidus)

+2 or 3 hours eat dinner.
    Take VIBE again.

+2 hours
    another anti-biotic

+1 hour
    Take for sleeping better
    3mg Melatonin (been doing this for awhile and seems to regulated his sleep schedule. Sleeping about 12 hours, but reports not good sleep.)
    Cal/Mag/Zinc again
    Just added L-tryptophan
    and next GABA

Through out the day, plenty of water and add fresh lemon occasionally. (Distilled or drinking water as I don't trust our well. or Brita filtered.) Adding organic minced garlic to food. Cutting out most canned & processed foods, going organic when we can. More fresh veggies and fruits. Less sugar. Less pop.
    He likes powerade. Has less sugar than pop. I also get a vitamin water drink occassionally at Walgreens, but it has artificial sweetener.

Anyway, how does this sound? I think missing essential fatty acids. Omega 3? And liver stuff. Won't drink tea. Tried green tea and calm tea. I do sneak it in sometimes.
    Have been using more coconut oil for cooking. Adding psyllium when I can. (Funny, I added some to homemade Turkey and Noodles and ended up with inedible snot/slime soup. Yuck. Put in Beefstew and couldn't tell though.)

Thanks to everyone and praying for all good health in the new year.

2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I save those atomizers from the sinus spray meds and refill with Grapefruit seed extract (5 drops rest filtered water) or colliodal silver and my sinuses are much improved.

Psyllium is best mixed with a little juice and water and drank quickly. It turns to "snot" in a hurry. Thicken soups with tapioca or seaweed thickeners.

Keep up with the enzymes...and be patient.
  3. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

I forget about the grapeseed in there with the supplements. I know not the same as grapefruit seed extract. But just reminded me.

We do have some Xleer spray for sinus and some plain saline spray. Have to ask him if he still uses it once in while. Can't get him to gargle salt water or anything or drink a little sea salt water.

I'll try the psyllium mixed a little in his juice or powerade.

What else helps with liver and toxins detox besides dandelion or milk thistle? They have pills, so maybe I'll just get some of those. Should this be taken a.m. or p.m or with meals?
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Really good regimen you've worked up. Two things come to mind,

1. When taking L-Tryptophan, you MUST take with B-6, same mouthful. This is so Tryptophan will convert to Serotonin in the brain, and not the intestines.

2. And do add in Essential Fatty Acids. Many good ones, Udos Perfect Blend, high quality Fish oil, such as Carlsons. You want Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, roughly 1:1.

I always take Vit E with any oil supplements to prevent rapid oxidation of the oils.
  5. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

I'll have to get some separate form of b-6. Only have the sublingual b-complex. Guessing not a good idea right before bed.

And Jordan says it made him really irritable so won't use it.
  6. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

Should we maybe try the probiotics at overnight? Between the antibiotics and enzymes etc.. doesn't seem to have much of a chance to help repopulate the good guys.

Happy NEW YEAR to all!
    Keep on.
  7. Catseye

Catseye Member

Everything everybody said plus:

NO pop, no drinks with artificial sweetener. A company that would put vitamins together with artificial sweetener does not have health in mind and is probably using the cheapest, least absorbable vitamins they can find. Stevia is the only sweetener anybody should use other than plain sugar or honey. Can you convince him that the more he avoids ALL crappy food and drink, the sooner he will get better and then be able to cheat with them occassionaly? He has to learn to eat for his body, not his tastebuds. That's how most of us got sick in the first place. You can't process garbage and nutrients at the same time when you're sick. They compete for processing and neither one ends up being processed sufficiently: garbage isn't eliminated quick enough and nutrients aren't processed and assimilated properly.

I always take my probiotics early in the morning, before I even get up. Usually I wake up early around 5 or 6, go to the fridge and take them, and then go back to bed. I guess at night would be just as good, most of them are better on an empty stomach.

You shouldn't go 5-6 hours without food. You're much better off eating little bits at a time every 2-3 hours. It means less food for your stomach to digest at any one time, and less for your liver to do: storing and assimilating glucose and nutrients while you're not eating.

Look at epicurious.com for gourmet recipes if you have time, you can make healthy stuff taste good with the right recipes. Look up things like baked veggies and chicken type stews. Using coconut oil is good but too much oil will overwhem an already overwhelmed liver. Use minute amounts only when absolutely necessary.

Avoid shellfish, they are bottom feeders and full of garbage.

If possible, try to determine if he is gluten or dairy intolerant. The only way to tell is to eliminate them both for several weeks and see if there is improvement. There are gluten-free items for every flour food like cookies, bread and crackers. They should be at any health food store.

Keep reading posts.

good luck!

karen
  8. lrgatplay

lrgatplay New Member

Love your posts.

Been talking to Jordan about the elimination diet thing. Luckily he doesn't like pasta products, except for chicken & noodles, which is very rare for me to fix. Bread & sandwiches will be a big loss though. Been using more whole grain bread. Kids are not big on that. They don't seem to notice if I get the whole grain white stuff though. Not a big milk drinker, but that sliced cheese and cheese dip, another big loss. Dr.Pepper will be his biggest challenge, but if not brought in the house, as my DH keeps doing... Holiday treats and chocolate should all be gone soon too. Sugar going into hiding.

Cooking has not been my strong area the last few years. Turned over to the canned and boxed too much. So good, easy and fast recipes I'll be hunting for. Have to leave him home alone while working so trying to make it easy for him to grab something nutritious. He still has a very healthy appetite. One of his symptoms is being slightly nauseous though. So something is going on there. Just not real big thing right now, but don't want it become so.

He used to complain at first about all the pill taking, and all the research I've been doing, but he's on board with that now.

My youngest son is going to be on a less restrictive version of these diet changes too. With the rest of us. He has been having bladder problems, no infection, unknown cause. And his biggest diet ingredient is pasta, so out most of that goes. OH NO, Spaghettio.