TAKING MINI THINS TO WORK?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ljcishoping, Aug 1, 2003.

1. ljcishoping

ljcishoping New Member

HI I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS TAKING MINI THINS TO HELP DO THEIR WORK? I HAVE BEEN TAKING THEM FOR 10 YEARS AND NOW MY BODY IS WORE OUT! I HAVE ARTHRITS CFSAND FM. I AM 38 FEMALE,COULD THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH ALL THESE ILLNESS? WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!

LOVE,LISA

PS.JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND HOW I GOT ALL THIS AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE.
  2. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I've never heard of a mini thin before? What is it?
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

and don't have a clue what mini thins are, so can't address that.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What's a mini thin? Inquiring minds want to know.

Love, Mikie
  5. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

When I was about 17 or so (I'm 32 now), I worked in a gas station on 3rd shift. One weekend, people were calling off work and I was stuck working a 30 hour shift. I drank lots of coffee, mountain dew, and took mini thins or something like it. Well, I ended up in the hospital getting shots of something to counteract what I had done to my body. It was very scary and I've never taken ephedrine since then. I don't think it brought on my FM, though. I didn't start noticing the FM for a few more years later.

You're not doing yourself any favors by taking that all the time. I'm surprised you haven't burned out before now! Do yourself some good by trying to get your energy in different ways, like a healthier diet, B vitamins, NADH, CoQ10 and the like.

good luck to you, Debbie
  6. ljcishoping

ljcishoping New Member

I HAVE TRIED BUT THEY DONT GIVE ME WHAT I NEED.BOY I REALLY DO NEED SOME HELP TO GET OFF OF THEM. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE NICE. WOUNDER WHAT DOC. COULD DO FOR ME?

LOVE,LISA
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

I just did a quick search about mini thins and since then have ephedra in them they will soon be by prescription only. The FDA is taking control over ephedra cuz of all the deaths it has caused.

You really have to go to your doctor and show him exactly what you have been taking and why because this could be dangerous to quit cold turkey once you cannot get them anymore. I dont know that for sure but the potential is definately there.
  8. mek918

mek918 New Member

People in college used to take mini-thins bc they were basically speed. Stay away from them. They can be deadly, if you have any kind of heart condition, etc. I remember taking them once and my heart beat so rapidly I was terrified. Never again... Talk to you doctor if necessary, but I'd say just STOP. And drink caffeine in their place until you can lessen the amount of that that you need. Get more sleep if possible...
  9. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

you could try Vivarin (caffeine pills). Or you could talk to your doc about Ritalin or Provigil. (Apparently some people who've taken Provigil say caffeine works just as well, and it's of course way cheaper.)

You may want to read the article in the Library here before you talk to your doc, so you can decide whether the benefits outweigh the risks for you. The article is based on conversations with Dr. Paul Cheney, one of the foremost docs for CFS, and it's called "Paul Cheney, M.D., on SSRIs and Stimulants for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Frying the Brain?" (Just do a Library search on SSRI and it will come up.)