Taking pharmaceuticals while on methylation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brainfoggy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

Can someone please explain why we aren't supposed to take pharmaceuticals while on methylation? I understand they make it more difficult to release toxins and build up toxins but I'm still a little confused about this...I take diflucan off and on, acyclovir, and am going to try klonopin as I've tried every natural sleep med and still not getting solid sleep.

Will I still get the benefits of methylation or is it counterproductive to take things that are making the methylation block worse? I hope that makes sense.

Thxs!
    mandy

2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

We can take other things, (I have not heard specifically to not take pharmaceuticals) but we are to not take things that would not make methyltion work well.

Such as any glutamate or aspartates - MSG, aspartame, glutamine, all the hidden MSG things like hydrolyzed vegatable protein, etc.

reduce copper and calcium, for some people, sulfur.

some supplements come attached to aspartates like magnesium, citric acid.

The list is on Dr. Amy's website, let me know if you need the link.

It is important to be able to get to a baseline where you are stabilized then you know how to get back there if you start detoxing too fast.

I am barely Step 1 of the Comprehensive and I am continuing to take my acyclovir as a few other things but I have gotten OFF many supplements and I feel a lot better.
    Marti
  3. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and able to come off of your supps that's a good thing! When you get a chance please send link, I looked and couldn't find it on her website. I'm not sure the acyclovir is working or not for me, I'm also taking transfer factor and ordered some virastop and candidase so I'll be trying those too.
  4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Here is Dr. Amy's website and a few snippets from various posts that address the issue of what to take and what not to take. Includes dietary things.

Hope this helps,
    Marti

http://www.holistichealth.com/Presentations.html

IF YOU ARE STILL SUPPLEMENTING WITH CALCIUM, ASPARTATE BASED SUPPLEMENTS, HIGH DOSE B6, GLUTAMINE, GLYCINE AND HIGH DOSES OF ZINC THIS IS NOT PHASE ONE! PLEASE STUDY THE INFORMATION TO UNDERSTAND WHY.

PLEASE NOTE: YOU REALLY NEED TO IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE VARIOUS RESOURCES AVAILABLE. THE PUZZLE BOOK AND THE DVD'S WILL HELP EXPLAIN WHY YOU ARE DOING THESE THINGS. DO NOT JUST FOLLOW ALONG WITH THE LIST, YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE GIVING A SPECIFIC SUPPLEMENT AND LEARN THE TOOLS TO HELP CONTROL DETOX. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THE DVDS AND READ THE BOOKS, AND KEEP UP WITH THE MANY INFORMATIVE POSTS!

STEP ONE: Program to reduce Neurological Inflammation
    Remove Excitotoxins. Remove sugar, processed foods, junk foods and non nutritive food.
    No Trans-fats: no partially hydrogenated oil of any kind.
    Prescription Medications: Please list any prescription medications taken. Note the name, dose and number of times per day taken.
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Mandy.

As I wrote in my July 18, 2007 update on the methylation cycle block treatment, I don't know of interactions between the five basic supplements in the MCB treatment and the pharmaceuticals prescribed by doctors to people with CFS.

However, in general, people with CFS often have difficulty with pharmaceuticals, and I think the reason is that because of the methylation cycle block, the normal detoxication system is compromised and dysfunctional. The body views most pharmaceuticals as foreign substances, and as such, removes them from the body by means of the same system that removes toxins, i.e. the detoxication system. The dosages and dosing intervals for pharmaceuticals are actually determined by what is needed to keep the concentration of the pharmaceutical high enough to achieve the desired action, working against the body's natural effort to remove the pharmaceutical from the body as a foreign substance that doesn't "belong" there. This is the reason why the study of pharmacology and the study of toxicology are often combined.

In people with CFS, as I said, the detoxication system is dysfunctional. This often means that if a person with CFS is given the same dosage and dosing schedule for a pharmaceutical as a person without CFS is given, the concentration of the pharmaceutical will rise higher, and it will stay in the body longer for the person with CFS. Thus, they will be "overdosed" at normal dosing, and will exhibit symptoms because of it.

In addition, more of the pharmaceuticals will be stored in the body of the person with CFS, and they can probably begin to have toxic effects if their levels rise high enough. When such a person starts the MCB treatment, these stored pharmaceuticals are mobilized into the blood stream and can probably produce symptoms before they are excreted.

The most sensitive CFS patients to pharmaceuticals are the ones who have polymorphisms in the cytochrome P450 enzymes that normally perform Phase I detox on pharmaceuticals. The CYP3A4 handles over half of all pharmaceuticals, so people who have a SNP in that one are very sensitive to pharmaceuticals. There are a couple of others that are very important in detoxing pharmaceuticals, also. These polymorphisms are characterized by the Genovations Detoxigenomic Profile. Conventional labs now characterize some of the important polymorphisms for detoxing pharmaceuticals, also. The FDA is requiring the drug companies to specify which enzymes detox their new drugs, because there have been fatalities in some people who unfortunately were given a drug that they could not metabolize well, because of their inherited polymorphisms. So this is getting more attention now.

Rich