taking showers are a nightmare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Sep 10, 2006.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

for me anymore because my skin hurts so bad..
    . i try bathing but it hurts also to try and get down in the tub...
    so i just stand in the shower and want to scream till im thru.
    i get all these fancy smanchy bathing products to try and make it fun for me
    but it isnt and its horrible...
    it takes all i can do to work my self up to a shower once a week ..
    and thats not good i know.
    what is wrong with me???
    its not so much the spray hitting the pressure points
    but my skin all over is so tender
    its like the skin as been peeled off....
  2. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

I am so sorry to hear that. I have an attachment you might like on my shower head. I use it when my skin hurts. It mists so the water doesn't hit my skin hard. Got it from Wally world a couple years ago. The shower head has like 4 different settings and I use them all depending how I hurt. Hope that helps.
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

are terrible for me too and I put them off as much as I can. It hurts to stand that long, raise my arms to wash my hair/body, rub my body with the soap. I have tried baths but our tub is very skinny and it hurts my hips.

I know I dread showers now and cannot shower alone because I have had my legs give out on me before. I even have to have my hubby brush my hair after as I can't hold my arms up that long and my hair gets very knotted cause it is very long...think I will be cutting it soon.

I don't shower nearly as much as I should but it is so painful I just live without them as long as I can.
  4. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

yea mine is the one that can be hand held too. Good idea about the shower chair.
  5. homesheba

homesheba New Member

those are great ideas.
    i finally managed to have one
    and used my good smelly stuff to try and make it more pleaset and finally got thru it.
    i know when i cut my hair that really helped me.
    i have had hubby shampoo mine under kitchen sink faucet...
    but what???
    cause s the skin to hurt???
    i know its part of the fibro-
    what is it our nerve endings super sentitive?
  6. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

Hi,

I actually got this idea from a post from someone on this site . . . when you get out of the shower put on a terry robe and go lie down on the bed. The terry robe will dry you off and you will also get a break from standing. I just ordered a terry robe and it arrived yesterday. I will try it out today (if I feel up to it, lol). It is so hard for me to have enough energy to shower and then dry off and then continue to get ready, ie., put on makeup, blow dry hair. I have to take several breaks in between.

Some other ideas I have thought may help are getting a "turbie wrap" for my hair. That saves from having a big towel on my head. Also, I plan on getting a vanity and chair and a mirror that I can move close to me because I am totally blind without my glasses, lol. It is so hard for me to stand and lean close enough to the mirror right now, lol!! If I can't afford a vanity, I plan on getting a table that I can slide under with a chair. I can always cover it with some pretty lacey material.

I also take a shower about every other day, sometimes every third day. I used to shower every single day, no matter what! Now I just wash up in between. It's amazing how much this illness changes our lives.

Hugs,
    PolarBear