Taking statin drugs for cholesterol?Also, hGH Info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Sep 7, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'd like to hear from any of you who are successfully taking one of the cholesterol lowering drugs. What are you taking, and have you had increased weakness, muscle aches and/or dizziness?
    I had sworn off taking them, after Tricor and Welchol destroyed my stomach, and Lipitor made me weak, achy and dizzy, but I got my latest blood test results yesterday, and in spite of upping my exercise and lowering my carbs even more, my cardiac risk ratio is up to 8.8. For those who don't know, normal is less than 4.4.
    So, I started taking Lipitor again last night at the lowest dose and already I am unable to do more than 10 mins. of half-hearted exercise today (I usually do 30-45 mins. of vigorous exercise).
    A risk ratio of 8.8 is a death sentence, so any advice from others on these drugs would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Klutzo
    P.S. I still believe the high prevelence of messed up lipids in FMS patients is due to low growth hormone. I have contacted the Palm Beach Rejuvination Clinic that is willing to send me injectable hGH and needles through the mail, and have me get blood tests here through labs they affiliate with. They will do this to anywhere in the country, but it ain't cheap folks! I am going to spring for the IGF-1 test at $100, and if it's low then I'll pray for manna from heaven. Do a websearch for human growth hormone to find their website if interested.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'd like to hear from any of you who are successfully taking one of the cholesterol lowering drugs. What are you taking, and have you had increased weakness, muscle aches and/or dizziness?
    I had sworn off taking them, after Tricor and Welchol destroyed my stomach, and Lipitor made me weak, achy and dizzy, but I got my latest blood test results yesterday, and in spite of upping my exercise and lowering my carbs even more, my cardiac risk ratio is up to 8.8. For those who don't know, normal is less than 4.4.
    So, I started taking Lipitor again last night at the lowest dose and already I am unable to do more than 10 mins. of half-hearted exercise today (I usually do 30-45 mins. of vigorous exercise).
    A risk ratio of 8.8 is a death sentence, so any advice from others on these drugs would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Klutzo
    P.S. I still believe the high prevelence of messed up lipids in FMS patients is due to low growth hormone. I have contacted the Palm Beach Rejuvination Clinic that is willing to send me injectable hGH and needles through the mail, and have me get blood tests here through labs they affiliate with. They will do this to anywhere in the country, but it ain't cheap folks! I am going to spring for the IGF-1 test at $100, and if it's low then I'll pray for manna from heaven. Do a websearch for human growth hormone to find their website if interested.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

in hopes someone on cholesterol drugs will see it!
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

When I bumped before nothing happened, so I'm trying again. Klutzo
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Cholesterol and triglycerides are both 465 and my liver enzymes are bad, so I'm waiting for more lab results and am considering a liver biopsy...gotta do these before he'll start a statin drug. Both of my parents had life-long cardiac and renal failure and died young. I dread MORE meds and MORE adverse effects!
    I hope you'll be ok...keep in touch!
    To Our Health!
    Kady
  6. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

A year ago my cholestrol was 321, good hdl 41 (which should be at least 45 perferably higher), LDL bad was 152 (should be lower than 130), and triglycerides was 545 (should be less than 200)
    Dr put me back on lopid and mevacore to hurry the process of lowering the bad stuff.
    LOPID AND MEVACORE IS A DANGEROUS MIX. EVEN THE PHARMACIST WOULDN'T FILL IT TILL HE ACTUALLY CALLED THE DR. TO MAKE SURE HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS PRESCRIBING.
    I asked the dr. recently if maybe I don't have Fibro..... maybe all the aches and pains and memory fog is from the mixture of meds. He said, no question about it, I do have fibro.
    He ok'd stoping mevacore when he seen that it helped, UNTIL, 7-22 this year when my BAD LDL went up to 208.
    Stroke level!!!!!!!!!!! So I'm back on both meds. Haven't noticed any more new symptoms so guess they are ok.. We'll see. Hopefully not at a price. Hope nothing new comes up.
    Have enough to deal with so far... Can't even go to the market for more than 1/2 hr. without being wore out and hurting more for the entire day.
    Betty
  7. SAS

SAS New Member

HI Klutzo,

I have been on low dose Lipitor for a couple of years, and my doc. just recently upped it. My sis told me about one of the side effects (she heard it on t.v.) being tiredness and muscle weakness. I phones my doc. and asked if he was aware of this, and if, perhaps, I could try another drug. He left a message on my machine that he is aware of the side effects and also " aware of my fibromyalgia diagnosis", but would like to keep things as they are for a couple of months and then see me again. I guess the cholesterol issue is of more importance. Also, this is my primary care doc. and I think he has a problem with the FMS dx. by my rheumatologist.

I, too, am really quite weak and cannot walk or stand for long (more than 15 mins.) without sitting down. I just started NADH, and it seems to make a slight difference in my level of energy. Any change for the better, I welcome.

Best of luck.
    Shirley

P.S. I just started weight watchers again last week. I am hopeful it will help, although, last time I tried it I had real difficulty losing weight. But, I do feel better when I am doing the program, so I guess that is reason enough.
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Thanks for your replies. You guys have even got me beat on the bad numbers. Numbers this bad could be caused by low human growth hormone, though one of you has a family history. There is no reason for my numbers to be so bad. I eat so healthy that people make fun of me! I exercise until I am dripping. My Totl Chol. is 275, my LDL is 186 and my HDL is 31. Triglycerides are 287.
    Before FMS, my Totl, chol. was 163, and triglycerides were 125, which is an accurate reflection of how I eat. The only thing that was already awful before the FMS was the HDL, and that runs on one side of my family.
    I will keep everyone appraised of what happens after my IGF-1 test is done.
    The hGH stim spray and the secretagogue did not work. The guy from the clinic I'm working with now told me that the aminos that make up hGH cannot survive stomach acid, which is why only injections will work. Of course, he was trying to sell his program, so you never know who to trust.
    Klutzo
  9. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi Klutzo,

Sorry to hear of the ti es you are having with these drugs for cholesterol.

I just wondered if the drug Dr Shoemaker uses for removing neurotoxins from CFS,LYME disease etc patients might be milder on your system, it is an old anticholesterol drug called cholestyramine and it is not absorbed into the blood stream but stays in the gut and takes the cholesterol out with it when it passes through your digestive system. You could try looking on his website www.chronicneurotoxins.com
    or a med. info site to see if it might be of any help.

Is garlic not meant to help lower cholesterol a bit too?

Perhaps some garlic tablets might at least reduce the levels a bit so you did not need quite so many drugs, I'm not sure just a thought.

With love and best wishes,

Genevieve
  10. Suze

Suze New Member

I can't add much, just a couple of thoughts: Have you considered the possibility of laboratory error? I suppose it's a long shot, but lab error is probably not as uncommon as your blood test results, especially since they used to be so much better and you're trying to do everything right.

Do you know if Questran is still being marketed? My dad took that for years to lower cholesterol, and the only side effect I remember him mentioning was constipation.

My cholesterol has never gone much above 210, and when that happened I got it down ten points by eating a quarter-cup of oat bran each day. I cook it, and it's one of my rare carb treats. As I may have mentioned to you, my triglycerides were a problem at 547, but low-carb eating brought them down to normal levels.

You have my sympathy, Klutzo--good luck!

Suze
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

we still give Questran at work...my doc doesn't want me to use this yet...We get free employee labs yearly at work and my Cholesterol and Triglycerides and liver enzymes have been elevated for years. No lab error there, I fear. As I wrote above, my Ch. and Tr. levels are both 465. Bad family history of this and I am heavy. Am considering the Liver Biopsy my doc wants to have done.
    Kady
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Suze - Thanks, but I tried the oat bran a long time ago with no luck. I'm glad it worked for you. I still eat a high fiber ceral with oats in it every morning. I doubt there is a lab error as my lipids have been messed up to some degree ever since I got FMS....that would be an awful lot of lab errors!
    Genevieve - Thanks for ideas. I am alreay taking supp. Garlic as well as eating a heaping tablespoon of raw chopped garlic daily. Have done it for years. Cholestyramine works the same way as Welchol and it can really mess up your bowel, esp. if you already have IBS like I do. It took me a whole month to recover from taking Welchol for 5 days! I have also seen some warnings about serious side-effects from Cholestyramine somewhere, probably the greatly increased risk of gallbladder problems that all these drugs can cause, but I'm not sure. Drugs that take fat our of your gut also remove your vitamin K and all your fat soluble vitamins like A, E and COQ10. Those last two are very important for your heart to function and may be one reason why none of these drug makers can say that taking their products actually lowers the number of heart attacks.
    I wish I could be like Suze and eat the Atkins diet, but I get horribly nauseous, shaky and chilled with goose bumps and dizziness when I try to eat that way. I am a natural born vegetarian, and just eating animal protein at all requires discipline for me.
    My husband says I should just be happy that I will go quickly instead of suffering for a long time like people with cancer do...he always tries to see the positive, but I'd prefer not to go for quite ahwile yet! The Cardiologist told me back in 1995 to prepare myself and make sure everything was in order since I could go any time with numbers like mine. He also told me to have some ice cream once in awhile because numbers that bad are always genetic. I am not sure I totally believe that. I still think low hGH could be involved.
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2002]
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The side effects of Lipitor are intolerable again already, after only 2 days back on it. Two days of muscle aches, fatigue and nausea. I have decided to try a natural product that I have not tried yet called Octacosanol. It is supposedly proven in double-blind studies to lower LDL as much as drugs, and to raise HDL more than drugs, without side-effects or liver risks. It is also cheap and easily available, so drug companies would have no interest in testing it. I'll keep you informed if it works.....this will take about 2 months.
    Klutzo
  14. Dar

Dar New Member

Tried Lipitor didn't work. Then switched to Zocor. I was told to take it at night and it would work better. Well I had an inprovement after 3 months, and on my 6 month visit they said everything was fantastic. I was finally normal. I did not diet or anything. I also want to say that I had the leg pain long before I went on these drugs, so I know that these drugs are not causing it.
  15. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi Klutzo,

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. Can I just ask if you have ever looked into either food allergies or "Live Right for Your Type" (blood type diet by Dr Peter D'Adamo, he tALKS ABOUT gerd AND DIETARY MEANS OF HELPING THIS DEPENDING ON YOUR BLOOD TYPE. (sorry I 've lapsed into capital letters by mistake!)

My husband who also like me has CFS has found the blood type diet has allowed him to come off Seroxat (SSRI) and he has a wwe bit more energy, it is just another piece in the jigsaw that can help a bit not the cure but well worth a try. We both eat good diets anyway but this is another angle on it and well researched. Also food allergies though not really the cause of our illness they can really pull you down and put a strain on your immune system.A cousin of mine developed CFS after viral meningitis and was in a bad way for 2-3 years then she got tested for food allergies and came off those foods and from then on made definite progress and a year or so after that was able to go back to work. Unfortunately that has n't happened for us but it is stillvital for me to avoid the foods I am allergic to or I would be hugely worse.

Just some thoughts, please forgive me if you 've been here and done these two things, just in case it could be of help.

With love,

Genevieve
  16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Mel - I agree high total cholesterol may not be tied to heart attacks....there is plenty of evidence already. BUT, low HDL and high triglycerides are tied to it and also to Metabolic Syndrome, which is why.....
    Genevieve - I can't do the Eat Right for your Type Diet because being a vegetarian (as is right for my type A blood) is what got me into this Metabolic Syndrome mess in the first place! It is why I have low HDL and high triglycerides. I love carbs and don't like animal foods so I didn't eat them. As a result of all those carbs not balanced with proteins for yrs. and yrs., I have a hyperinsulinemia response to carbs, and will get diabetes and die of heart disease unless I learn to eat mostly proteins and very little carbs.
    Everyone should know that your total cholesterol means almost nothing by itself. It is the RATIO between your HDL and your total that counts for heart attack risk, and the RATIO between your HDL and triglycerides that counts for stroke risk. The former should not be more than 4.4, and the latter should not be more than 2.0. Mine are 8.8 and 9.3 and that makes me a "dead woman walking" to quote my cardiologist. I do exercise a lot and eat right most of the time...I eat better than 95% of the people I know. Genes play a big role in this, but most of us dont like to admit it, because that means we can't fix it.
    Klutzo
  17. kadywill

kadywill New Member

If you're a dead woman walking, what am I??? My ratio is 14.0.......
  18. Girlof41

Girlof41 New Member

It's a statin drug used to lower ldl and raise hdl. I took it in January through March at 1000 mg, a low dose. Well, the aches and pains were as if I ran a marathon.(and I use to run, can't do it anymore)The doctor thought I was overreacting, but as soon as I got off it, the side effects disappeared in a few weeks. I have a strong cardiac history in my family. Very frustrating...