Taking the Dr. Whitcomb Plunge

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimbuh, Sep 6, 2006.

1. kimbuh

kimbuh New Member

After wading through all the posts about Dr. Whitcomb's treatment, and with all the varying opinions, I've decided to pony up and take the plunge. I've found accomadations and my initial exam is this Sunday, Sept 10th in Lake Tahoe. (Ironically, my birthday).

I've spoken to Dr. Whitcomb at length and appreciate the fact that he too, once had fibromyalgia. His explanation of the C1 pushing against the nerve bundle and causing the brain and body to overload seems to make great sense to me personally. I've watched all the video testimonials and have spoken to a handful of patients who all said they have had amazing results - one who was pain free after 2 weeks, and two others who exclaimed, "He gave me my life back." I've also read posts here that say he's a scam artist.

As I've tried so many different things with zero results, and with my pain increasing expotentially, I figure I owe it to myself to give this a try. I will walk in with an open mind and walk out 8 weeks later with my own first hand opinion. If I'm even 5% better, I'll feel it was a successful journey. If I feel I've been 'taken', I'll cross this treatment off my list, be thankful I had a 'vacation' in beautiful Lake Tahoe and move on. I'm a comedy writer, so if nothing else, I'm sure I will gather some funny material! It's all good.

If anyone is interested, I can post my progress.
    Kimbuh

[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Kimbuh I read the information on Dr. Whitcombs site and talked to them on the telephone. I live in Canada though and the trip there was more than my budget to handle at the time. Please let us know how it goes. I was hoping he would tell me there was someone in my area doing the same treatments.

I used to go to a chiropractor once a week, but when my husband got laid off from his job we had to quit going. After that we tried going once a month, which is what we could afford but it wasn't really often enough.

I have wondered if you had Dr. Whitcombs treatments for 8 weeks straight whether it would stick.

hugs Marion (Redwillow)

3. kimbuh

kimbuh New Member

Marion -- I too, went to a chiropractor for awhile, maybe twice a week. It felt good during the session, but nothing stuck. I think the 3 treatments a day might be the trick to get the muscles to learn to hold a new position. I think they call it 'muscle memory' where they keep going back to the old position until they finally 'get it'. (Kinda like house-training my dog!) Eventually it's "Oh... now I get what you want me to do."

And Laura, as far as the cost, it's $3500 a month, so around $7000. That's a lot of cash! I know they do different kinds of financing. They have a deal at a motel that's $585/mos which is a great price, but in looking at it on the internet, it looks Motel 6ish and tiny. I have to keep working while I'm up there and don't know if I would feel comfortable leaving my video camera, computer, printer, etc., in the room where housekeeping comes and goes plus they don't have internet access as of yet. Also, it made me laugh to think about getting 3 chiro treatments a day and then going back to sleep on the crappiest mattress on the planet. Oh, the irony! But apparently, that's where most of the patients stay.

I found a good deal on a small condo with a full kitchen and a balcony looking out on a marina and mountains. I initially couldn't imagine how I could possibly get away from my life for 2 months, then I thought, hey -- meth addicts do it everyday! I'm going to rehab! So I thought I would pay a little more and treat it like a get-a-way retreat. I'm even taking my guitar which I haven't played in a long time. I'm kinda excited for the solitude. Fortunately, I happen to have a pretty good job and can spend the money (as long as I don't get fired for going! LOL), but I will report back to you and if it's fabulous, then it might be worth saving for, or financing. I'll be the guniea pig for you guys.

Feel free to ask any questions -- and thank you guys for the support!
    Kim
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Sounds like a wonderful holiday whether you fix your FM or not.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Will we get daily postings or do we have to wait until you get back?

Marion (Redwillow)
  5. kimbuh

kimbuh New Member

Hey guys,
    I have been in Tahoe getting treatment for only 12 days, but it's an amazing place. I was very apprehensive to spend more money to try yet another doctor and a new treatment, as I've tried so many for so many years with no results, but I'm so glad I haven't given up my quest for relief and made this decision to see Dr. Whitcomb.
    First, his theory of the cause of fibro is the only one that really made some sense to me. Second, upon my first meeting with Dr. Whitcomb, I was so impressed with his kindness, his demeanor, candidness, knowledge and compassion. (He, himself, suffered severly from fibro and is now pain free and helping others.) He also can be funny and light when it's appropriate. having such horrible luck with disinterested doctors, I truly adore this guy.

Although one is not expected to feel much relief in the first 2 - 3 weeks, I have actually felt a little bit already with the mobility of my neck movement right to left. A small piece of the whole picture, but it's something! I'm sleeping better and more than anything, HOPE is back and thriving.

The best part is the group atmosphere -- the support from the other patients. (This surprised me, because I'm not really the 'group' type.) Because we're from all around the country, most spend a great deal of time hanging out at the office and getting to know each other. I've never felt such immense relief to walk in there each morning and say that I had a bad night and have everybody 'get it'. I even asked people if I could video tape them talking about there experiences and did that last night. So many people have improved so much since they gotten here, and their stories -- all of the stories were so moving because they were all from the heart and I suppose we all just understand and relate.

So many patients here have little money and I do wonder how they mustered the expense, but they have and they seem grateful. For me -- this journey so far is a God Send! Don't get me wrong -- I don't think I will walk out of here in 8 weeks being pain-free (although, I've already meant a handful who have), but I suspect I will leave with no less than a 30% relief which is more than I anticipated, and a whole new perspective on my illness. I can't wait to see where this goes. Frankly, I can't wait to go in for my treatment tomorrow. (Those statements are profound for me because until finding this, I really had little interest in the concept of "tomorrow"!)
    You guys take care and hang in there! I'll report back soon and feel free to ask any questions.
    Kim
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Kim I am following your treatment with great interest.

I actually contacted Dr. Whitcomb's site once and asked a lot of questions. I was hoping that they had a clinic in Ontario Canada.

I am really interested in how this works out for you.

hugs Marion
  7. kimbuh

kimbuh New Member

Things are going really well at the "Fibromyalgia Relief Center" in Tahoe. Dr. Whitcomb could not be more compassionate, more kind, has a good sense of humor, and has seen SO many patients with fibro. He has gathered a great amount of information from this alone. My spirit has been so uplifted from being around all these great people -- most who have all benefited from his treatments a great deal. Some -- absolutely remarkable improvement! I have only been here for 3 weeks and have had some improvement, but have some circumstances that are fighting treatment. We are working to rid of these first. (Candida being one.) Stress is such a big factor and after finally resigning myself to leaving "my life", I'm SO glad I came here. I think it's important to remove yourself from your day to day life, no matter HOW HARD that seems. It's KEY! That's all I can say. Someone guided me here, and I am thankful. More to come.
  8. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Hi, I'm new here but have been interested in Dr Whitcombs method for some time. Thankyou for posting your updates and I hope you walk out of there in another few weeks brand new!

Please let us know how you get on, wishing you all the best
    Maedaze
  9. kimbuh

kimbuh New Member

Thanks, Maedaze. It's been great so far and I'm one of those slow starters, but there has been many, so I have not yet become discouraged. I think there office is great -- in that if a curious person calls in, (like you, perhaps), they ask if anyone in the waiting room would like to talk to this person on the phone. Sometimes the phone gets past around and you hear many peoples thoughts, experiences and opinions. Give it a try. Perhaps we'll even speak! I'm here til at least the end of October - and I hope a few weeks longer.
    Kim
  10. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Sounds like the enviroment over there is great, not like a normal waiting room!

Just curious to find out if you or others that are being treated there suffer migraines and headaches and if so how are they doing with this treatment.

Also do you think the more 'functioning' you are, the better the results?

Hope you are getting on top of that candida and you start seeing amazing results soon.

maedaze :eek:)

11. sues1

sues1 New Member

So great to hear of this experience.

Please keep posting......and thanks.....Bless you..Susan
  12. kimbuh

kimbuh New Member

Hi guys -- so sorry to hear about the migraines. I am so relieved that I don't get them because many FM people do. There are many current patients here at Dr. Whitcomb's center that do experience them to varying degrees -- and to see it first hand -- well it pains me to watch. A few weeks back, I arrived at the office and was surprised to find in the waiting room (which is more like a livingroom), the lights off, no chatting, and most everyone in sunglasses. I felt like they forgot to send me the memo stating, "Don't forget -- tomorrow is Migraine Day!"
    The migraines are a big issue that he deals with. It was kinda funny -- last week, the new receptionist (who doesn't have FM) came in late with a horrible migraine and Dr. Whitcomb pulled her into 'the room' and gave her an adjustment and she came out and giggled, "I'm a convert!" Her migraine was gone in an instant.
    Other stuff -- my 20 year old niece came up to Tahoe yesterday to visit me for a few days. It was really nice to show her around and show her off at the doc's office. The sweet doc took his time to chat with her offering cute, fatherly advice about life, boys, career and health. After hearing her complaints about lower back pain, he had a look and then took X-rays at no cost. A very nice gesture. (Ironically, they did find a chipped disc in her back!) Anyway, she was really impressed with him, and all the nice, caring people here.
    He tried a different adjustment on me today and it really felt good. I'm afraid I'll either start feeling better, or become sore from it. The verdict is still out.
    Okay -- sorry to go on. More later.
    Kim
  13. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

Wow.. Thank you so much for posting your experience with the Dr. and his facility. It's around 3:00 a.m. here in Florida and I am fasinated by all your posts.

I read about Dr. Whitcomb about, maybe 1 year ago on the internet, just happened to come across, and I honestley don't remember what happened.

I wish you all the best and hope and pray that you receive the help you need at this office.

Eileen

14. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Kim

Your program sounds really good. I am following your progress and hoping that you will feel so much better.

Since I am a migraine sufferer I can really relate to the dark glasses and the lights off. It sounds like Dr. Whitcomb really can relate.

keep on posting
    hugs Redwillow