Taking thyroid hormone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Grams, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Grams

Grams New Member

I recently found this list and thought it might be useful here since I've read of several people taking synthroid.

1. Always check the prescription against what you receive. Don't allow generic substitutions.

2. Most doctors feel that taking thyroid hormone on an empty stomach allows for maximum absorption.

3. Many practitioners advise that you allow at least one hour before eating, because it allows for maximum absorption.

4. Be consistent about a high-fiber diet. If you start or stop eating high-fiber, get your thyroid rechecked, because it may change your absorption.

5. Many experts recommend you take vitamins or supplements with iron at least two to three hours apart from thyroid hormone. Iron can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption if taken too close together.

6. Be careful about taking calcium and calcium-fortified orange juice at the same time as thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.

7. Don't take antacids within two hours of thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.

8. Watch for interactions with antidepressants & thyroid hormone. Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac can make thyroid meds more or less effective. Talk to your doctor.

8. Don't stop taking thyroid hormone when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. It's necessary for you and your baby's health. Talk to your doctor about adjusting to the right dosage.

2. Grams

Grams New Member

I recently found this list and thought it might be useful here since I've read of several people taking synthroid.

1. Always check the prescription against what you receive. Don't allow generic substitutions.

2. Most doctors feel that taking thyroid hormone on an empty stomach allows for maximum absorption.

3. Many practitioners advise that you allow at least one hour before eating, because it allows for maximum absorption.

4. Be consistent about a high-fiber diet. If you start or stop eating high-fiber, get your thyroid rechecked, because it may change your absorption.

5. Many experts recommend you take vitamins or supplements with iron at least two to three hours apart from thyroid hormone. Iron can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption if taken too close together.

6. Be careful about taking calcium and calcium-fortified orange juice at the same time as thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.

7. Don't take antacids within two hours of thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.

8. Watch for interactions with antidepressants & thyroid hormone. Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac can make thyroid meds more or less effective. Talk to your doctor.

8. Don't stop taking thyroid hormone when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. It's necessary for you and your baby's health. Talk to your doctor about adjusting to the right dosage.

3. Grams

Grams New Member

Go to the website about dot com, it has a wealth of information about thyroid. In fact, it has a wealth of information for just about everything!

Go to about dot com, scroll down and click on "Health & Fitness". Scroll down again and click on "Thyroid Disease".

For endocrine doctor recommendations, look on the left side of the page and click on "Doctors", then select your state. This is how I found my endocrinologist.

Be sure and click on "Basics/Start Here" and "Thyroid Drugs". Another good link is "Tests for Thyroid".

There's tons of information there!

[This Message was Edited on 01/09/2003]
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I started taking synthroid in July and had taken it for a couple of months before I found out (from one of the members of this board) that it should be taken one hour before eating. I had been taking it after breakfast!

Thank you for sharing the rest of these points. No one told me any of these things. I will print this off and save it for future reference!

Pepper
  5. Grams

Grams New Member

...because this is good information, and there are lots of posts about thyroid, tests, and meds.
  6. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

you should wait and take your Synthroid an hour after you eat! I have been on it for over 5 years now and no one told me that one...I know all the rest of your info...guess I'll start taking it an hour after I eat...thanks for the info!

1Writer
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Don't take any other supplements for at least FOUR hours after you have taken your thyroid hormone. There should be instructions on the insert. My doctor didn't tell me squat, he just handed me my first prescription with no advice. I had to find out the hard way, and by researching.

Marilyn :)
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You take your thyroid med one hour BEFORE you eat. It must be taken on an empty stomach. Food stays in your stomach a minimum of FOUR hours, so taking this med after breakfast won't work.

Marilyn :)
  9. Grams

Grams New Member

Bumping this up for reference.
  10. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

11. coyote

coyote New Member