Taking Xanax First Thing Of the Morning, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 3, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Lately, I have been having horrible anxiety/depression. Awakening with that awful feeling of anxiety. I have started taking 1/4 mg of xanax the first thing when I get up.

Seems to help if I do this, then I take one at lunch, dinner, and bedtime a total of 1 mg a day.

For now this is all I know to do the family stress, babysitting and doing is taking a toll on me mentally not to mention the physical.

If I can get there I am to see an immunologist tomorrow to see if this could be sinus/allergy related. The head and vertigo thing could be causing increased anxiety.

Just wonder if anyone takes xanax daily and this often.

2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I just got a tongue lashing from a new doctor for taking any Xanax at all. (Obviously she doesn't have a problem with anxiety.)

I think it depends on your doctor - and how easily addicted you become. Check with your doc.

3. greatgran

greatgran Member

My doc is fine with it, he says if it works why not since I have been on the same dose for years. He feels xanax is a good med with a bad reputation. Of course it can be a problem for some, but he knows me, I guess or just wants me out of the office.

Due to the reputation and as long as I have been on it , I must admit it still concerns me.

Was on xanax for about 3 years before CFS had no problems going off them. Started feeling better and would forget to take them before I knew it I was not taking any. Then the CFS, well anxiety came back so much worse.

Thanks for your reply,
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am so happy to hear that your are doing much better.

God Bless,
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If it were not for small doses of Xanax around the clock, I could not walk and would be in a wheelchair, since the spasms along my spine are so bad without Xanax to relax my muscles that they throw me over.

I got hurt pretty bad a couple of times before I was put on Xanax. A non-addictive drugs called Flexeril was tried first, but it turned me into a wet noodle with no muscle strength at all.

I've been taking 1 mg. daily for 23 years now, and yes I am totally hooked on it, but prefer that to the alternative of not being able to walk. I take a whole .25 mg. tab at bed time, another whole one when I wake up at 3 am, and then I take 1/2 tabs during the day about every five hours.

If I have to try to drive, or have to go to a crowded or noisy place, or have to go see a doctor who does not "get" this illness, I take an extra 1/2 dose for anxiety and over stimulation, plus an extra 1/2 dose of Clonidine (anti-seizure and high blood pressure med) for overstimulation and to calm my heart down.

I also take the amino acid supplement L-tryptophan, 1.5 grams at bedtime and 1 gram at 3 am for depression. It helps a lot, but I also have that deep morning depression that slowly lifts as the day goes on. By around 7 PM, I usually feel pretty normal.

I think it is hormone related somehow, but my hormone tests, both conventional and alternative, are normal. So, I have to conclude that it's probably due to my isolation from everyone but my DH, and to my having nothing but boring chores to look forward to when I get up each day.

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your post, sorry about your health but glad the xanax has helped.

What is it with this horrible morning depression or anxiety thing? I also start to feel much better in the evening.

God Bless and thanks,